close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

topwater!?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by midoh39, Oct 19, 2008.

1. midoh39

midoh39 member

I hit the GMR around the Cover Bridge in Troy. I managed 4 smallies on a fluke, but the thing was I missed A ton of fish. I felt like I was pulling it out of their mouths, but if I waited to long they would drop it. I tried a Pop-R for awhile and that produced nothing, Then I tried a wee- craw and had a smallie on but lost it. Do the fish bite topwaters better when the water is murkier?

2. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

Nope,clear water. That's why there is a decent bite right now as a lot of algae has died and the fish can see.
    I have the same problem but I think they are just not getting a good grab on it as I have them miss multiple times before getting ahold of it...maybe it's just my bad timing.
    There is a rule of thumb the English have for a topwater take;say "god save the queen" and then hit 'em. That pause lets them turn w/ it before you hit them or otherwise pull the hook out before it gets set.Gotta admit,I've not been good on that,its hard not to hit when the water blows up on your offering,TC1

3. Sounds like you are using topwater plugs? Something else you can try is switching to a buzzbait. I have fished those in rivers with quite a bit success...if you begin missing hits on a buzzbait then add a trailer hook to it.

4. I have been having lots of missed fish with top water. I usually like to use fly poppers, but alas my fly rod is broken. Point being I think they are more successful when smaller.

5. I first started using a topwater bait when I fished my grandparents lake in Wisconsin for smallmouth bass. I used to miss a lot of fish, mainly because I pulled too early. I would see the splash of them coming at the lure, and I would automaticly set the hook...wrong obviously.

So I looked it up to see what I was doing wrong. The common thing that came up everywhere I looked was: "Wait until you feel the weight of the fish, before you set the hook."

That was the key. The next summer I tried it and hooked up with more fish. I still was not getting the hookups I wanted. So I looked around and made an adjustment to my lures. I replaced the front hook with a larger treble hook. I took the back hook off and replaced it with a Sure Set hook. Ever since then, if the fish hits the lure I am about 99% hook up on it. I have yet to loose a fish that has hit the lure and I have set the hook into it, since changing the hooks. I recommend giving the new hooks and waiting until you feel the weight of the fish.

I use the Rapala Skitter Pop lures, I have not tried any other topwaters though, but I have no need to. The Skitter Pop gets the job done.

Hopefully that helps you out.

6. I took some pictures so you can see the hooks. The lure on the left is actually larger than the one on the right. I just have not put the new hooks on it yet. The lure on the right has the new hooks. I choose red hooks, but I don't really think it makes a different. The other picture is a close up of the rear Sure set hook. It rides up so that longer hook on the back always rides straight up and back like on a spinner or buzz bait.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Very detailed info. and great contribution to the site:) . Thanks!
    ________
    LIVE SEX

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  8. TeamPlaker

TeamPlaker Fishing Deadbeat

I don't fish topwater usually, but those Sureset hooks are awesome! When I get new lures I remove the back hook and put one of those on.... great tip!

9. When fishing soft plastic jerk baits and topwater lures alike, you have to wait a second before you set the hook. Like people have said sometimes wait until you feel the fish on before you set the hook. I usually tell people who are having this trouble to say "one thousand one" in their head and then set the hook. If you fish the soft plastic jerk baits enough you start to get a feel for when you should set the hook. Best way to get better at is to fish as much as possible:)

10. I've found the biggest and most successful key to good hookups w/ buzzbaits is that you need to keep the rod pointed directly at your lure. Literally the entire retrieve. Follow it horizontally to the water. Not pointed down or up. The fish usually hook themselves because as soon as they hit it, the bait isn't jerked from their mouth or given any give from the rod action. They're hooked straight from the reel. Then, a quick hookset insures the set. This has increased my hookups dramatically. Give it a try.