Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sun was going down and it was a little overcast Friday night so I stopped in a local pond in the west chester area for a little dusk bassin'. caught one pretty quick on a soft jerk bait but it got off right at the bank - it was about 10-11 inches. kept walking around the bank with the jerkbait until sunset without luck and switched to a buzz bait. didn't even have a skirt so I used a yellow grub for the body.

didn't catch anything more until about 9:30 when I casted out into the middle of the lake and brought it slowly back to the bank. right before it got to the grass along the bank, WHAM a bass hit my buzzer with a huge explosion in the water.

I just had a med.light tackle with 8lb test line and was fightin' her in the grass. She finally gave in after a good fight and she was about 17 in / 3 lb. - had a big belly , I guess she been eating some of those frogs. Nothing like catching them on topwater at dusk/dawn. I made only a few more casts as the mosquitos were beginning a full assault. But I had a smile on my face all the way home.

I caught one a few weeks ago the same size at acton on a worm, but it just wasn't as fun as the topwater. that was a ferocious strike.

·
Registered
104 Posts
A buzzbait is my favorite lure to use in ponds. As a matter of fact all but one of my biggest bass from ponds have been on buzzbaits. And every single hit gets your heart pounding.
bobby

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
headed back to the same spot on Monday from 7:30 to 9:30pm and caught one 13 in. and one 16in on a worm about 8:00 but didn't catch anymore for the rest of the night. again the mosquitos were dormant until about 9:15 then they launched a Tet -like offensive on me. where's the deet?

FYI I recently read report by consumer reports that 3M ultrathon was the best, but not for children. i'll get me some

·
Registered
45 Posts
I found this spray at wal-mart in the hunting isle. It was called "100% Deet" with green and orange lable. It was $3.50 a bottle and works great! The only place that I have been bitten with it on is my hands! :)

JC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts