close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

topwater pond bassin'

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by TristateBassmaster, Jul 3, 2004.

1. The sun was going down and it was a little overcast Friday night so I stopped in a local pond in the west chester area for a little dusk bassin'. caught one pretty quick on a soft jerk bait but it got off right at the bank - it was about 10-11 inches. kept walking around the bank with the jerkbait until sunset without luck and switched to a buzz bait. didn't even have a skirt so I used a yellow grub for the body.

didn't catch anything more until about 9:30 when I casted out into the middle of the lake and brought it slowly back to the bank. right before it got to the grass along the bank, WHAM a bass hit my buzzer with a huge explosion in the water.

I just had a med.light tackle with 8lb test line and was fightin' her in the grass. She finally gave in after a good fight and she was about 17 in / 3 lb. - had a big belly , I guess she been eating some of those frogs. Nothing like catching them on topwater at dusk/dawn. I made only a few more casts as the mosquitos were beginning a full assault. But I had a smile on my face all the way home.

I caught one a few weeks ago the same size at acton on a worm, but it just wasn't as fun as the topwater. that was a ferocious strike.

2. A buzzbait is my favorite lure to use in ponds. As a matter of fact all but one of my biggest bass from ponds have been on buzzbaits. And every single hit gets your heart pounding.
    bobby

3. headed back to the same spot on Monday from 7:30 to 9:30pm and caught one 13 in. and one 16in on a worm about 8:00 but didn't catch anymore for the rest of the night. again the mosquitos were dormant until about 9:15 then they launched a Tet -like offensive on me. where's the deet?

FYI I recently read report by consumer reports that 3M ultrathon was the best, but not for children. i'll get me some

4. I found this spray at wal-mart in the hunting isle. It was called "100% Deet" with green and orange lable. It was $3.50 a bottle and works great! The only place that I have been bitten with it on is my hands! :)

JC