close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Topwater fun

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by acklac7, Aug 17, 2007.

1. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Hit a couple spots on the Scioto this morning in search of Smallies. Had a blast!

Caught a few smaller fish and one nice 17" early on, then the bite seemed to let up. I decided to hit one last hole before I called it quits. I "bombed" a prop bait to within a foot of the opposite shorline and immediately twicted it a couple times. About halfway throught the second twicth this hog BLEW IT UP! Im still suprised the explosion didn't send the lure skyrocketing 5ft in the air! Best topwater strike i've ever had, hands down! She went just a hair under 19"- best Smallie so far this year :)

[​IMG]

I also noticed something strange, once unhooked she was extremely laid back, didn't fight/flop what so ever. Took a couple pictures, got a measurement: calm as a 17 year old cat. It was almost as if she had been caught a dozen times before and "knew the drill".

And I should note that the Algae blooms are the worst i've ever seen, the stuff is litterally EVERYWHERE. Tried thowring a tube and got gunked up on every single cast..Not fun. :(

Looks like were getting rain next week, that along with the cool down should really set things in motion :D :D :D

2. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

Nice fish AJ, top water is fun when it works. I've noticed the algae being everywhere in all the streams I have fished this year, not just in the long stagnant pools, everywhere. I bet if there is enough algae and no flow, we could see fish die-offs soon due to lack of oxygen when the algae dies. Might make the fish move from deeper pools to marginal pools below riffles to find the right oxygen, who knows. I also looked at the water watch gov. site for the entire US and the east coast river systems are all red, extremely low, only place they don't need more rain is around Texas.

3. Very nice smallie ! I love topwater action. Nothing like watching a big hog blow up on a topwater :)

4. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

i knew you would be posting soon with a smallie story.
    i have drove past the river 5-6 times in two days and it looked fishy!
    good one acklac:B
    nothing beats brown bass on topwaters!:D

5. Im gonna have to take some time off from work and get in on some of that..I do alot of topwater at night.

6. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

Nice fish!

I got out for a few hours this morning too and did not do so well on topwater--unless you call missing a few, catching one, and then losing my buzzbait to a big smallie doing well. My bite also died and I threw plastic for a couple of hours until I switched to a Mepps and caught this one. It was just shy of 17.

7. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

Awesome catch.
    A 19" would be sweet, no doubt.

I might try a certain stretch later today.

8. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

Nice fish. hope i do that well this weekend. I will be out after baseball try outs tomorrow. Taking a freind who fishes Erie for walleye all the time but has yet to be out wadeing for SM. looking to get him a few.

9. Perchy101

Perchy101 Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Its amazing how all these fish look diffrent... I posted 3 pics of smallies we picked up tonight in the Scioto.. Plus these 2... And the patterend on them and colors are all different.

10. After today I will have a couple days off from work...looks like a trip to the river is a must:)

11. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

That's a beautiful fish Aklac. Nice catch and a great story. Is your prop bait made by Heddon? My favorite topwater bait of all time for bass without a doubt. Congratulations on a great smallie!

CG

12. Great looking fish A.J. got to wade fish today for first time in many years. What a great time. Got my fish on a pop-r they were killing it:D