Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Micropterus dolomieu
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna head down to my neighborhood pond to test out my new 13 Fishing Omen Black rod. Not being a big topwater guy, I've been pleasantly surprised at the results of a popper I've been throwing recently. In anticipation of my new rod arriving I picked up a KVD sexy dawg. I'm super pumped about this rod, hence the premature post. Report/review will follow.

·
Micropterus dolomieu
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, no disappointment tonight! The new rod performed flawlessly and it's great having a stick that's 7' plus again. Around the 5th cast in, I twitched the dawg two times and BAM! First fish on the new stick!
A fiesty 2.5-3 lb'r

Walking around the pond getting used to the extra length this rod has, I noticed a flurry of topwater activity all around. The carp must've been feeding because the swirls were way to big to be the fish I was after. After getting a couple firey little guys, I was about to call it quits due to the mosquitoes being out in full force when I made one last cast (if there is ever such a thing as a "last" cast). A couple of twitches and a monster blowup! This fish pulled a little harder, but was about the same size as the first.

All in all I managed 5 fish and lost one. Pretty good night at the ol fishing hole. As far as the rod goes, it is the 7'1" MH Omen Black by 13 Fishing. While I didn't really get to test the sensitivity fishing topwater only this evening, the fish handling qualities were on par (and I would venture to say, exceeded) with rods far beyond their price range ($100). The looks of it are fantastic, the materials are A+. I will be looking to add more to my arsenal and have no hesitation recommending them to any angler.

·
Registered
614 Posts
They certainly are an awesome rod for $100 aren't they? Makes me wonder what the "Envy Black" would be like.

·
Micropterus dolomieu
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a good old pond hawg!!

Even better on top!! "That's what she said!" lol

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I can't wait to get this lure or this rod on the river. There's a 20" bronze medal calling my name. I have never really focused my fishing on topwater lures before this year. I love to power fish, but I've taken a step back and gotten more into finesse fishing this year. Fishing topwater, I seem to have found a happy medium between the two, especially during the twilight hours. I tried to coax a big girl up from the depths by walking it around the fountain in the pond, but no such luck. Maybe next time.

Shaggy, these rods are an incredible value! If they really are as sensitive as what folks are saying, it might be downright scary to see what the Envy models are like. I had some hesitations at first, never having even held one, but needing a new rod (reel seat was getting way too wobbly on my old one and didn't want to end up breaking it on a fish like Hooker ;)), I took a leap of faith. Glad I did!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I can't wait to get this lure or this rod on the river. There's a 20" bronze medal calling my name. I have never really focused my fishing on topwater lures before this year. I love to power fish, but I've taken a step back and gotten more into finesse fishing this year. Fishing topwater, I seem to have found a happy medium between the two, especially during the twilight hours. I tried to coax a big girl up from the depths by walking it around the fountain in the pond, but no such luck. Maybe next time.

Shaggy, these rods are an incredible value! If they really are as sensitive as what folks are saying, it might be downright scary to see what the Envy models are like. I had some hesitations at first, never having even held one, but needing a new rod (reel seat was getting way too wobbly on my old one and didn't want to end up breaking it on a fish like Hooker ;)), I took a leap of faith. Glad I did!
I'm a stubborn soul and keep resisting the topwater lures in the river. I REALY need to bring a few out and nothin else and let the topwater feva set in. I know the Bronze Hawgs are silly for them but I've just not gotten there yet.

Glad your fishin rod is working out for you the last thing you need is a rod malfunction failing you in middle of a prized fight with a large river warrior.

You have a link to that rod? I've never heard of the make/model?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

1 - 7 of 7 Posts