close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

top water saugeye

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Fishing_Chef, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Last night Leckig and I went tubing, floated around for a bit he caught a bass... I got zip, so when it was almost dark he had to go and I decided I would hit a local spillway for a bit.

I was actually looking for bass, I put on a floating rapala, casted out.....stopped to do something for a sec., when I started my retrieve, something hit my lure with a big splash. I thought it was a small mouth or a small muskie but as I reeled it in it was a saugeye.
    I thought it was kinda wierd that he hit top water, I tried for another 45 mins for another but had no luck...he musta been real hungry hehhe.

Anyway, I thought I would share.

happy fishing!

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

not surprising.they'll move very shallow in the evenings,and when they're on the feed i doubt they'd pass up anything that looked like an easy meal;)

3. about 3 weeks ago i caught my fist top water walleye on a zaraspock in my pond what a sight to se a wallleye jump out of the water but i would think saugeye are the same

4. I have used floaters in the fall and caught a few eyes, alot of the eyes that I have caught off of jigs seem to hit close to the surface, congratulations on your eye.

5. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

I think fishslim noted the same phenomenon a while back (with the same lure lol).And you would not belive how shallow the S-eye will be at night. I went to wade out across the top of a riffle a few nights back and they were holding in, I kid you not, 8" of water...Big ones too. They went scattering once I turned my headlamp on...One hid right in front of me and I stepped down off a rock right on top of him!! Scared the piss out of me!

6. FYI Dicks has Rapala floater #9s on sale 2 for $9, most Husky Jerk sizes are onsale as well 2 for $10.

7. Acklac7 you are right i have mentioned this actually many times;) I used to go below griggs and Oshay and starting now thru summer use floaters and kill saugeyes with them. Would throw it up in riffles at dam face and twitch it and let it set then slow pump it so rapala was just under surface and watch the water explode with large eyes. Some times you would get them right at your feet in a foot of water before you pull lure out for next cast you would pause lure and let it sit then pull it up and bam they would scare the wits out of you. Last fall at Indian there were nights when all you did was slow twitch Rouge on or just under surface. It is a fun way to catch them. But always remember as Acklac7 no water is to shallow after dark for big eyes if there is easy food to be had. :)