Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What brand of hand and power tools does everyone use?

Growing up, my dad and grandpa ONLY used "Made in the USA Craftsman" tools. Now that I'm getting my first house and beginning to build my own set of tools, I'm hearing some bad things about their quality--especially their power tools. I've also heard that their warrenties are not the same as they one were and that there are more quality issues with the hand tools as well.

Just curious what everyone uses!

·
Catcher of Fish
2,855 Posts
I've had poor luck with Craftsman power tools. Burnt up two drills and a circular saw. I'm just a weekend warrior home maintenance type - these tools didn't get heavy use.

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,056 Posts
yes get name brands. stay away from the big lots, walmart and dollar general crap. craftsman are pretty good. my craftsman 14.4 cordless drill is over 10 years old and has has a ton of use, but its still going strong. my S&K hand tools are from my high school auto shop days (early 80's):eek:, still going strong and if i ever break one, they replace them for free.

·
5,997 Posts
I agree! Just want to add a very good one. THats Grizzley they have great tools. I have a large table saw and it is the pride of my shop.

My experience with using all of the top lines, none could compare with the following.

Cordless Drill- Dewalt.
Belt sander, orbital sander, routers - Porter Cable
Nail guns - Senco
Sawzall - Milwaukee
Circular Saw - Makita

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Harle hit some of the top quality brands. I have several of those and really like my Porter Cable stuff (especialy my drills and left handed circular saw).

However, consider your budget and expected use, not all of us need top $ professional grade power tools...consider getting the best you can for a few key items then get ok quality tools (or borrow) things that will collect more dust than use.

My 2 cents on battery operated tools: I gave up on top brand cordless stuff as replacment batteries are too much. I'd rather toss or sell a cheaper tool after 5 years and replace it. The technology changes too fast and a $150 drill isn't that much better than the $75 model for most home users. You also don't need more battery (and the extra weight) for small jobs.

·
The one others want to be
2,242 Posts
I have a ton of tools from my previousl life as a Ford tech and have a mix of all the top names. Snap On, Mac, Cornwell, Matco, etc. Also have a ton of Craftsman stuff. It is true though- Craftsman stuff isn't a whole lot better than the "Buffalo" type stuff but they replace it no questions asked so it's fine with me. I'll NEVER buy a Craftsman product that has an engine on it. Lawnmowers, weedeaters, chainsaws, whatever. They stink.
For power tools around the house you can't go wrong with Makita or DeWalt. Good stuff. And believe it or not I have a Ryobi miter saw that is now 15 years old and it still runs like a champ. Never would have thought it would live so long but the wifey bought it and I couldn't say no.
For outdoor power tools go with Stihl- good stuff there too.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Craftsman tools arnt what they used to be. That being said, I only buy Craftsman hand tools. I have a few of thier power tools and they will be replaced as I can afford better ones. Craftsman tools are all Chinese now.

DeWalt and Porter Cable are now both owned by Black & Decker and the quality has been going down hill ever since. Porter cable used to be top of the line tools but now most of them are junk. DeWalt still makes the best cordless drill in my opinion but as was stated earlier, battery replacement is rediculous. I recently replaced 2 batteries to my 18v drill and it cost me $80 for 2 reconditioned batteries. New ones were $80 a piece.

Some Bosch tools are really nice and others are junk. All of them are rediculously overpriced though.

I'll second the Grizzly tools as being really good. Definately not the best out there but alot of bang for your buck, especially in larger power tools. I have one of thier hybrid table saws in my woodshop and I absolutely love it. I wouldnt hesitate to buy from them again. Bad part is they dont have any distributers so you have to order direct. If I recall correctly, the shipping alone on my table saw was nearly $200.

If you want American quality in large power tools, I believe Powermatic and SawStop are the only ones left. Very high quality tools that will last a lifetime but those tools start around 3 grand. SawStop will never get a dime of my money though but thats a whole other story all together, lol.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Not too bring back a dead topic but just stepped into a Sears store for the first time in a few years. What the heck happened to Craftsman :( Most of the tools are either Made in China or Taiwan now. My grandpa usually bought American made Craftsman tools and said you can always trust Craftsman but I'm not so sure I would trust some of the Craftsman tools I looked at today.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Power tools = hitachi or rigid
Hand tools = Wera, gear wrench, Klein and wiha are all good.

Stay away from those kits that have all sorts of stuff.

·
I jig therefore I am!
5,318 Posts
Some craftsman tools havent been made in the US for quite some time. Some still are. Sears/Craftsman has never made tools themselves, they've always contracted and stamped their name on em.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craftsman_(tools)

My first Dewalt hammer drill I had needed the transmission replaced. Luckily was still under warranty. My current Milwaukee is having some issues with its transmission also but it's still usable. Battery packs are pricey for sure. One of mine has gone bad so still have one good one. I think I dropped the one that went bad :/

·
Registered
771 Posts
electric tools: ingersoll rand, milwuakee, makita, ridgid (for home).
power tools: ingersoll rand
hand tools: snap on (if you have a dealer and a bottomless wallet), cornwell's blue power line is very good, i have a lot of gearwrench stuff thats been very good. i like craftsman's gaurantee, but i hate their ratchets/sockets/wrenches.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I only ever bought craftsman. One day at work I made the poor decision to step on the snap on truck and buy a ratchet. Now I'm in the slow process of changing all my hand tools to snap on. I can't believe the difference. Most stuff I buy when on sale and no moving tools come last. Sockets and what not. Just my thoughts but I love em. Also having the truck coming to you is really nice!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Have Craftsman wrenches with most being over 30 years old. All USA made then and they will be passed down to my children. Try to buy quality and American made hand tools if you can. I bought cheap at first and when they broke swore I would buy good quality after that.
I had Roybi cordless everything and they never broke or failed operate but the nicad batteries died due to lack of use. I did get one 18 volt lithium battery and it is still good and the set is now serving my son well. The one battery system is great and I have read the newer lithium batteries are all much better. I said I would never again go cordless because of the five nicad batteries going bad. After I helped a friend with a project using his 18 volt Milwaukee tools I bought the Milwaukee FUEL drill and impact with lithium batteries. The three speed impact is very handy. Very nice but expensive. Corded tools last better IMO as I have two drills over 25 years old and a circular saw from 1964 that is still going. I read recently that Milwaukee is bringing some of their power tool manufacturing back to the USA. If and when they do that will be my brand of power tool.

·
'Super Moderator'
13,088 Posts
UFM 20 wrote:

I have a ton of tools from my previousl life as a Ford tech and have a mix of all the top names. Snap On, Mac, Cornwell, Matco, etc. Also have a ton of Craftsman stuff. It is true though- Craftsman stuff isn't a whole lot better than the "Buffalo" type stuff but they replace it no questions asked so it's fine with me. I'll NEVER buy a Craftsman product that has an engine on it. Lawnmowers, weedeaters, chainsaws, whatever. They stink.
For power tools around the house you can't go wrong with Makita or DeWalt
For outdoor power tools go with Stihl
^^^This pretty much mirrors my opinions as well and is the same brand of tools I mostly own. The older S-K ratchets were tough as well. Also like the smooth feel of Kobalt wrench's Lowes sells.

After breaking several Craftsman ratchets, sockets and busting my knuckle's along with rounding off nuts/bolts with the wrench's cause the jaws would expand under normal torque due to soft steel over the years, the lifetime warranty didn't seem to matter. Especially when many other brands comparatively priced has the same warranty.
Too, have a $3000+ Craftsman riding mower taking space in the barn that I don't even care to talk about. Every electrical component on the thing was replaced the first yr. under warranty. Plus two deck bearings. The last thing was the Kohler engine which locked up about 1 1/2 before the warranty ran out. Busted crank. Makes me mad every time I look at it. Biggest piece of junk I've ever bought. Never again!

Heating with wood for the last 20yrs., I burn about 10-12 cord a yr. Stihl chainsaws are just hard to beat as well. Same with their weed eaters.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Simply put, you get what you pay for.

So avoid the low end cost tools straight away.

I have Milwakee and Dewalt cordless power tools and my only complaint is battery life on the Milwakee's, after a couple years they no longer charge.

Hand tools, same deal, the cheapest ones will break. I love my Kobalt Socket set, it's my second one, first one was stolen.

I did recently purchase a Royobi battery powered weed whacker that I am happy with, If I had a yard twice the size of mine though I don't think the battery would last long enough to trim the whole thing. Kind of makes me rethink maybe looking into some more of their products.

My air compressor and nailers are Hitachi, I researched and researched and then did some research before buying them. The Compressor had great reviews while the nailers were not perfect, but many of the issues were due to it being an oilless compressor and people not oiling their guns. Reviews for the Porter Cable compressor were very bad. Bostich had great reviews on the guns, but not so much on the compressor.

Anyway, read and research before investing and remember if the price is very cheap so is the tool.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts