close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Took my buck Sat. evening!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by mrjbigfoot, Sep 29, 2008.

1. mrjbigfoot

mrjbigfoot Mike

I had a great 1st trip out for our bow season opener on Saturday evening. Drove 2 & 1/2 hours South, after our JV game, the 1st half of the Buckeyes game & loading up my stuff so I was running late. Hadn't scouted at all but picked one of 12 ladder stands that I'd have a good field of view out of. Saw a pretty nice buck about 500 yards away across a bean field but he was working/feeding away from me then 3 bucks start fighting & sparring down in a little hollow/thicket right over the hill behind me. I eventually saw them working my way & could see 2 were smaller 6 points & one was a basket rack 8 point that just kept coming right into me! Considering that I hadn’t taken a racked buck since my nice 10 point in 2003 & my bow hunting rule has always been, 8 points or better and the arrow flies! I just could not pass up on taking him! He only ran 60 yards after the shot & right on the edge of a grass field where I could drive right to him! LOL!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)

2. Congratulations on a nice buck and a great day of hunting. It don't get much easier than that. First night out and no tracking or dragging. That is hard to beat!

3. congrats! nice buck.. Gotta love the drive up retrieval.

4. mrjbigfoot

mrjbigfoot Mike

Yeah, when your over the hill at 50 like me, that being able to drive right to them to pick them up is nice! I always worry about that during the early season when the crops are still in because it's reality that you can end up with a long drag especially when you're hunting by yourself alone & it's warm out. I was able to get him gutted fast & packed with ice bags within an hour of the kill so it should be some nice eats! I couldn't believe how much fat & how thick the fat was on him. Of course he would've burned quite a bit off come rut season.

;)

5. mrjbigfoot

mrjbigfoot Mike

Here's the link to the short video I shot of the buck that was way across the bean field. I had the camera at max 10x zoom & the dang branches closer to me were messing with the focus but watch at the very end when he pops his head up & looks my way.

;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  6. The one pic looked like you might have hit the sholder.I shot a big doe in about the same spot and did not recover her.I was useing the rage 2 blade broadheads.What broadheads were you useing.

7. mrjbigfoot

mrjbigfoot Mike

Actually I hit the deer way back on his right side, aiming for his lower left shoulder/leg on the exit & that's what your seeing is the exit hole. Here's a picture of how he looked walking up on him where you can see the entry hole. I hit just slightly higher than I wanted to but I knew it was a killer shot. I was using some nice looking 3 bladed 100 grain broadheads that I got on sale at Gander Mtn for $9.99 for a 3 pack (so I bought 3 packs) & the name escapes me at the moment. I have another pack at the house, so I'll have to get back on that. I also was shooting Easton 2315 XX75 aluminum arrows and my same old PSE bow that I've had for over 10 years shooting 70 lbs with a 65% let off. Nothing really fancy for this old guy! The shot was a fairly tight angling away shot so I had to aim further back to be going for his vitals. I always use the opposite shoulder/leg as a reference point on my aim for quartering and/or angling away shots. It's actually great if you can shoot through the vitals & bury your broadhead into the bone on the opposite leg. I've done that on 3 or 4 deer where they didn't go more than 25 yards, stumbling & dropping in plain sight.

Entry Hole

[​IMG]

Exit Hole (the arrow went clean through)

[​IMG]

;)

8. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Congrats on the buck!

9. nice job, and that buck in the video looked pretty dang big

10. Congrats on the kill. The biggest buck I saw this weekend was a 4 point. Nothing better than watching the future monsters roam the woods. You going to get back out their to harvest some Does?

11. mrjbigfoot

mrjbigfoot Mike

I was using Barrie Archery Rocky Mountain Razor Lite 100 Broadheads.
    100 grain 3 blade, Tri-Cut cut on impact tips pre-aligned with the blades for maximum penetration, .030" thick blades wit 1 & 1/8" cut diameter & self centering stainless steel collar system. I thought they looked real nice when I bought them on sale a Gander Mtn for $9.99 a 3 pack and they sure did a great job of slicing all the way through the buck!

:)

12. tcba1987

tcba1987 Tuscarawas River Angler

CONGRATS on a VERY NICE buck !!! Id be PROUD OF THAT ONE FOR SURE !!

13. mrjbigfoot

mrjbigfoot Mike

My son goes to Darby! ;)