Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
That fish got teeth
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went out this morning to the marker out of RR. and proceded to play "gobie King" again. my wife caught a nice size jumbo to start, but the perch were few and far between. she even caught a clump of zebra mussels. killed the gobies and trashed the zebras. What do you guys do with your gobies?

·
Catcher of Fish
2,855 Posts
Throw em in the livewell and then bury them in the compost pile along with the walleye or perch carcasses.

·
Kiss The Converse
4,560 Posts
Smack em on the water a few times and toss em to the gulls!

·
Registered
95 Posts
i was considering bringing a bb bat i've had laying around for that purpose. not sure whether or not thats "over the line," maybe keep score, if you hit one and a seagull catches it mid-air, home run. maybe i have too much time on my hands.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Couldn't stay away from 'em either today on Ruggles. Finally gave in after the wind added to the frustration. One damn smallie to show for it today.

It was a pain trying to weave through the pack of boats perching, drifting, and trolling off of Cranberry and the castle today too. I'm not going to be the guy doing 30mph through the pack, and it was tough to tell the drifters from the trollers at times...

Did manage to catch the biggest goby I've ever seen though. ~8" and I couldn't get my middle finger to my thumb all the way around it. Not that it pleases me...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
BMS, you may want to try out a little deeper from those bouys at RR...I've perched there a couple times in the past week and did not catch a single goby, maybe 1 white perch to 100 perch, alhough there were a ton of small perch.

When I catch gobies, instead of holding the fish and taking the hook out with pliers, I hold the hook and squeeze their heads with the pliers till they squish. Then they are gull food. A close second is a touchdown spike off the swim platform.. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I worked for the division of wildlife a few yrs back. We would put all the gobies in a bin and let them bake for a few hours. After water deprivation and heavy uv exposure (no sunblock was applied on these poor fish-don't tell PETA) we would return them to the water. Much to our dismay, 85% of those fiesty little bast**** survived. Alas we discoverd that pouring a mixture of water and simple green (cleaning solution) did the trick very well. Not sure why but think it dirupts the dissolved oxygen intake.

·
That fish got teeth
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info Lightman, we were going to head deeper but when we turned on the livewell it would'nt run. same for the bilge pump, and since im in a small boat (15' smokercraft) didnt want to run too far out. turns out it was the switches,they were replaced and it looks like were good to go for monday.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
YEP swim platform bounce diving is the best. then rate on a scale of 1-10 that person gets the gold for the day ;)

needs to be an Olympic sport.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts