close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tonsilectomy and Adnoidectomy

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AndroDoug, Feb 23, 2005.

1. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

My little girl is schedule to have both her tonsils and adnoids out on Mar 15th, she is 6. I don't remember having the operation, and I was wondering what to expect. The doctors obviously tell you needed things to do. But what has worked for everyone else in helping the child recover completely and quickly?

I know she will need soft foods, like popsicles, soup, mashed potatoes?, ice cream?, etc? My niece age 7, just went through the same procedure last month. She had a hard time and had to be taken to the hospital for dehydration at one time. Are there any foods that you have had sucess with that are "can't miss"?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. AndoDoug, If your worried about dehydration you might want to get some Pedialyte. Get the flavored(grape,bubblegum,etc..) the unflavored stuff tastes like sweat.

http://www.pedialyte.com/

3. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

Both of my son's had the same a few years back, pedialite is very good for them but it doesn't taste good at all! :(We had some for our oldest when he had his operation and when we tried to give it to him he wanted no part of it.(grape, orange and the bubblegum flavor) So I gave it a try and I understood why! :eek: You may want to get a bottle in advance and see if she will drink it. We ended up getting some gatorade and he was fine with that.

If she likes jello that is a good thing to have as well. The important thing is to keep them hydrated, it also seems to help when they drink to keep the area from drying out.
    When they wake up from the surgery they are very sore and disoriented and it is a very helpless feeling for you. :(

4. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

My 6 year old son had this done last November. It is amazing how quickly they pop back. He was eating solid foods within a few days. Same with my nephew. Do what ever you have to to keep them hydrated and all will be fine. Be prepared, they look very miserable and scared when you see them for the first time after the surgery. Within a couple hours my son was sitting up playing games, talking, and eating popcicles. Have a special stuffed animal for them when you go back to see them the first time. Almost every kid I saw in recovery had one and it seemed to calm them.

5. One of my daughters had hers removed and we had her favorite doll ready for her when she woke up and then held her hand and talked to her allot then before we knew it she was our giggling little girl again... Icecream. freeze pops, jello, pudding, icetea (that she helped make, always works) juicyjuice in a box all go along way to keeping them hydrated... After a couple days they bounce back like nothing hap'd and you will still be on edge LOL...

6. I can't give any stories of my 3 boys having theirs out because none of them have. In fact I still have my tonsils as well. But I have had a couple of surgery events for my two oldest boys. From that I can understand your concern. It is a tough thing to see your little loved one being carted in for surgery. My second oldest son was not quite 5 when he had to go in for a surgery to remove a cyst in the temple area. The doctors assured us it was a very routine surgery but we really had a rough time with it. I think we may have struggled with it more than he did. As others have said here, kids are resilient and will bounce back to normal pretty quickly. I guess the only piece of advice I can give beyond what others have is to be calm and make them feel as if the operation is a piece of cake.

Good luck to you. I am sure every thing will go well especially seeing that you are taking extra efforts to make it so.

7. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Da Chick's niece had it done 2 years ago. She was home that night playing around as usual. She was ok, just didn't talk much. Alot easier and less painful than 20 years ago when I had mine done. LOL.

8. I had mine out when I was about 16-17. I seriously thought I was going to die for a week later. There was this little 3 year old boy who was sharing a holding room with me who had his out and you couldn't even tell he had the procedure done. My advice would just be to baby her and feed her cold fluids, mainly water and popsicles at first and a day or so later you can give them ice cream. The extra attention you give her will make her heal the fastest when they are at that age.

Some people recover quicker than others but I would think at that age, she should be feeling fine in 2-3 days. And the sooner she feels better the more codine left over for dad!

9. My wife had her tonsils removed when she was 30! The older you are the harder/longer it is to recover. My son had his tonsils out when he was about 5 and he recovered within a weekend basically.

10. I had mine removed when I was 21 and ....WOW! :(, My nephew had his out and never missed a beat. :D Above all, don't give her anything citrus as the citric acid is nothing but hurt! :eek: Children generally seem to handle it quite well but there are exceptions. Good luck. :)

11. I guess that means I may have to take mine to my grave with me.:eek: I have always heard the accounts of how much harder it gets the longer you wait. But my doctor always told me that if they are not causing any problem them we will leave them alone.

12. AndroDoug

Thanks everyone for the replies. Yeah, I am a little worried. She has no idea what she is in for. At the doctor's she wanted to play more than anything, and when we told her she needed surgery, she shrugged it off. I guess she doesn't know what a surgery is. I will educate her and prepare her. The hospital also has an "orientation" visit you can bring the child to in the week leading up to the surgery. They will take her to the various areas she will be in and tell her what to expect. I will do that also.

Thanks again for all the replies.

13. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

My wife also got hers out last year when she was 30. She is kind of a baby about stuff like this anyway, but she was miserable for a month.

14. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

one banana, bunch of ice cubes, a little milk and some sugar....I don't know many children including me at 22 who don't like these things...that's about as painless as it gets, plus you're keeping fluids up...I've had over 4 surgeries some of the most heartfelt things my parents did for me as a kid were...

Reading to me before I began to go under
    Stuffed Animal
    And giving me something to wear during the surgery for good luck

I don't know if you have to go under for your tonsils, but here's one big big thing to keep in mind...I've had 3 eye surgeries now and immediately after when you first try to get your feet, make sure you're close by...the doctor had to catch me when I was 7 and don't let her eat the ice chips too quickly afterwards or she will get sick...

Overall, you'll be amazed at how quick the recovery is, just the initial stages are hard...After that it's all downhill...Good luck to you guys!

15. rockbass

rockbass Banned

When I was young, I had the adenoids out. I don't remember much about it though. I would get tonsilitis every year and it would last a week or so. Would feel like crap in the morning and feel better by afternoon. Would not get any other colds all year long. Hardly a sniffle. then when I was 18, I had the tonsilitis and went to the doc and she said I better get them out before I get much older. Had it done. No problem's for me. I did not have an appetite, but I drank plenty of fluids. I did lose like 30 lbs which was cool, but I did not lose it the healthy way. I remember I was wanting to go in a couple days or so. Even though they say not to be out and about for weeks because of possible infection. I would agree with others in that because of the young age, should be doing fine after a few days.

16. Well Cheeseman2, to be quite honest, if my parents read to me, gave me good luck charms or a stuffed animal when I was 22 years old, I'd probably swat them on the end of the nose. But if thats your thing then thats your business.

I'm about 99% sure they put you under for tonsils. I know they did me. Some people just get sick for a couple hours after coming to as that gas they give you can mess you up.

Again, I think a six year old should be just fine with a little TLC. The hard part is probably making her understand that there will be some pain and discomfort and you will have the taste of blood for a while. They also do a great job of strectching out your mouth and the corners of your mouth will hurt for a day or so. Just try to make her understand that it is for her own good without scaring the heck out of her.

17. I have recently been through a very similar situation with my daughter. The best advice I can give you is to try and keep her as calm as possible as they give her the anesthesia. My daughter was kickin' and screaming when she went out and that is the same way she came out of it after the surgery. I guess they say that it happens every time....the way they go under is the exact way they wake up. It is terrible to watch your little one so scared. Try and prepare her for it and keep her as calm as possible.

Good luck!

18. AndroDoug

I like the sound of a "Good Luck Item of Clothing"! I also like the idea of reading her favorite bedtime story to her, as well! Good ideas, thanks!

Her favorite story is "The Pumpkin Patch" which is nothing more than a documentary about a real-life pumpkin farm with pictures. She loves that for some reason! :confused: That will be the story when she goes down.

She will also have a big stuffed "Nemo" fish with her. That is what I prop her bedroom door open with to let the hall light in. Nemo is sort of her "guard" fish when she goes to sleep!

I will stock up with foods mentioned in this post to make sure I have every combination possible that might be needed. Thanks everyone for the outpouring of help! :)