close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Toledo Fishing Options?

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by OSU_Fisherman, Mar 27, 2008.

1. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

Hey Guys,
    I don't normally view the NW Ohio forum much (I'm @ OSU - Columbus), but I'm considering an internship position in Toledo this summer. I was just wondering what the area was like for Bass Fishing (EXCLUDING Erie). I have an 18' Ranger bass boat, so are there plenty of options around?

The place where I would be living is about 7 miles from the new Bass Pro Shops, so that would be great, but expensive haha.

Thanks in advance,
    Jason

2. Lake La Sue Ann, takes reservations to get on the water, good bass fishing. I cant remeber whether it is electric or 9.9 I fished from the land last time there.

3. TheBiteIsOn

TheBiteIsOn TheBiteIsOn

Don't let anyone fool you....there is some awsome opertunity to catch numbers and quality Largmouth all over the area......

4. OSU_Fisherman

Are there many decent-sized lakes? I'm looking on Mapquest and I can't seem to find many large bodies of water, except Erie.

5. What's your reasoning to avoid Erie? You'll be passing by world class fishing

6. Jason Check Your Private Mess. Mike

7. Lake Erie is one of if not THE best smallmouth fishery there is. Sandusky Bay, East Harbor, Detroit River, and Lake St. Clair are all close by. Awesome fishing to be had in them all. You have the boat so go fish.

8. OSU_Fisherman

I have definitely heard that the fishing there is amazing and its a world class Smallmouth fishery. BUT, my main reason for wanting to leave it alone is basically boating inexperience.
    I just bought this bass boat,...and actually haven't gotten it out yet so I'm probably not going to be comfortable with rough waters for quite a while. I have not personally witnessed the water conditions and how hard they'd be in a bass boat... but I've heard it can get pretty bad with not that much wind. So, I will not count it out... I just dont want to rely on waiting until a calm day to be able to get out and fish.

Maybe that lake is calmer than I think...especially during the times when I'd be there. It does look like I'm going to accept that internship...so I'd be in the area from 2nd week in June to the middle of September. You guys from the area would know way better than me though.

9. bassmaniac

bassmaniac Fish now, sleep later

East Harbor in the back. Those weed beds are awesome for quality largemouth. Also Indian Lake, it'll be a little farther but good bass fishing there also.

10. Good smallmouth fishing can be had in the Maumee River, there are tons of borrow pits along I75 that can be fished if you ask nicely, and you will end up on Erie... its irresistable. Some advice... you are right, Erie is deadly if you don't know what you are doing. Don't try to run out to the islands in an unproven boat or with an unexperienced skipper in any weather. You can however fish near shore in a s,sw or light w wind without too much trouble. You can also trailer down to sandusky bay which I have fished my whole life and can attest has awsome smb and largemouth fishing ....lots of big bass. The bay can be fished somewhere in anywind short of a gale ...but it can also be deadly. 1. Take the boating safety course 2. Do not go out without a working marine radio and safety equipment 3. Do tune the radio to the weather station and know what you are getting into. 4. Stay away from the shipping channels. 5. Invite someone along who knows more than you.
    good luck

11. Brest Bay up in Michigan (Sterling State Park launch....20 minutes from toledo) is relatively protected and unless it's a northeast wind you should be fine. Tons of football smallies and even walleye in there. I used to fish it in a small 15' bass boat a lot.

12. The best fishing you'll find up here would be reservoirs and farm ponds and such outside toledo. Almost all the small town west of Toledo all the way to Indiana have Reservoirs. A lot of towns south of Toledo do too.

BB

13. Most of the reservoirs are Electrics only and too small for bass boats.

BB

14. Smart move getting use to your boat before taking it out on the big water. That weather can change on a dime, and if you don't know what your getting into, you could be in a whole lot of trouble.

Meinke's West has a public launch. Lots of channels with a few largemouth through out. You never have to hit the big water, and it's secure from the big lake.

15. If you are looking to use you boat, finding close places in NW might be a bit difficult. Is your boat aluminum or fiberglass? If it is aluminum, you can put in at various locations in the Maumee River. Below the dam often is very shallow in the summer, so that's why aluminum is better. Above the dam, the water stays pretty consistent as far as depth goes. There is some solid but not spectacular smallie fishing to be done in the river, and there are some monster cats in the river too.

Otherwise, to my knowledge, Lake Erie is the other place to go. I am going to assume you have more that a 10HP motor on your 18' boat, so that will nullify alot of the smaller lakes around here. Lake Erie has plenty of bassy areas (including most marinas) that won't require you to go out 6 miles and fish a hump in the middle of the lake. I used to go with my friend alot in his 16' flat bottom bass boat across Maumee Bay and fish in some marinas that held some pretty good size LM's.

Then, if you wanted to drive about 1 hour north (give or take), you could be into the Detroit River (huge smallies, and solid perch fishing where the river meets the lake), Lake St. Claire (musky, pike, smallies), and various lakes in the Irish Hills of Michigan.

16. The only problem with Erie is that it is shallow and when inclimate weather rolls in, it can create havoc in a heartbeat. Just keep an eye on the sky. The fishing is great with many a perch and walleye to be had.

17. OSU_Fisherman

Bucket, yeah, my boat is an 18' Ranger fiberglass Bass boat with a 150hp motor on it.

I started looking on Mapquest a little harder and saw that there are TONS of lakes roughly an hour away in M!ch!g@n and a few decent looking ones into Indiana (Hamilton Lake maybe?). It looks like a pretty cool area so I'm pretty excited to be heading up for the summer.

18. hey osu, i would be glad to show you how good the bass fishing is in an around toledo. It s a heck of a lot better than those lakes in columbus, not its bad but the largemouth population in erie has exploded in the past couple of years.