Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
You guys would probably be best using pm's. That is a pretty small creek for the 600 views this thread has gotten. Beware of the lurkers my friends. :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
You guys would probably be best using pm's. That is a pretty small creek for the 600 views this thread has gotten. Beware of the lurkers my friends. :)
It's a brave, new world. Here's a little story to help put things in perspective.

My young cousin, in his early teens, started to show an interest in fishing. He was hitting all the local retention ponds, golf course ponds and creeks.
I decided to take him under my wing.

I took him to one of my favorite spots. I always caught fish here and some knew about it, some didn't. I told young cousin, "If I take you here, you cannot tell anyone." Next spring that spot became ruined complete with rope swings, underwear hanging from the tree limbs, liver containers, skinny dipping . . . It became the local high schools' favorite debauchery locale.

How do I know my cousin's loose lips were responsible? The first sign of trouble came early that March. I was coming down to fish the very spot we had fished last fall. As I hit the head of the trail through the tree line, I could hear conversation. When I got to the edge, there they all were. One of the boys was buck naked. He had just got done swimming in the 40 degree water on a dare. My cousin was there along with his group of high school buddies. That spring and summer I experienced the decline of my favorite spot as the word spread and local teens completely trashed the spot. All the result of word-of-mouth.

I gave my cousin another chance. He did the same thing to another secluded, secret spot. This time it became the local swimming hole and drinking spot. Almost ten years later a spot that was pristine with no sign of human interference, is littered with bottles and everything else. They even pulled a productive brush pile out and onto the bank.

Never underestimate word-of-mouth; In this case, the internet only intensifies this effect exponentially. It's easy enough to get stream quality information here: http://waterwatch.usgs.gov/?m=real&r=oh&w=map. If your stream does not appear on this page, pick one close by. Nearby streams will give you an indication of flow conditions for your target stream.

For the relatively new members who started this thread and kept it going, and the senior member who answered it, watch what happens with the increased pressure this thread will cause. As a poster, you have a responsibility. Senior members also have an informative responsibility. Thank you IMalt. Posting, "I caught fish at X locale," will certainly have unintended consequences. That's just the way it is. Even more so these days.

Best let this one die, right now.

Regards,

~TH

1 - 20 of 23 Posts