Ohio Game Fishing banner
161 - 180 of 195 Posts

·
drifer43
75 Posts
Thanks for keeping the memories alive. This was all such good music and growing up with it was fun. I turned 79 today and I still listen to nothing but classic rock and classic country. Keep posting.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Thanks for keeping the memories alive. This was all such good music and growing up with it was fun. I turned 79 today and I still listen to nothing but classic rock and classic country. Keep posting.
First off...Happy Birthday! You got me by a few years...well, several years (y)Second..thanks. Just the way I was brought up. It was music and the radio on at all times. The one TV was only for nightly news (when it was still news), Johnny Carson, Saturday morning cartoons and maybe a movie on the weekends. Started "playing DJ" with mom and dads huge record collection as soon as I could reach the old wooden console, Zenith or Philco?, record player/stereo. While the house full of family, friends and neighbors were playing cards, smoking, drinking, and dancing, I was up to my knees in records:ROFLMAO:
I love all types of music.....as long as it falls into the 50's-70's eras;)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
July 22, 2022
#1 country song this week 1963.."Act Naturally" by Buck Owens (b.1929 d.2006). Buck first recorded and released the song in '63. The Beatles, with Ringo singing, covered and released it in '65. The 1989 video with both of them is just too funny to pass up...

Second one this week of the original four Eagles that turned 75. Drummer/singer Don Henley was born on this date in Gilmer, Texas.
"Witchy Woman"..'73 **video starts at :35, after the intros...

Rick Davies, (no relation to the Kinks Ray Davies), the founder, lead singer and keyboardist of Supertramp turns 78 today. He was born in Wiltshire, England. "Goodbye Stranger" Paris '79...

Nose Microphone Eyebrow Jheri curl Product

Founder and lead singer ('59-'73 & '80-'88) of The Chi-Lites, Eugene Record passed away July 22, 2005 in Chicago. He was born December 23, 1944 also in Chicago. One clip just ain't enough...
"Oh Girl" written by Mr. Record in '72..

"Have You Seen Her" also written by him in '71..

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 · (Edited)
July 23, 2022
Dino Danelli was born on this date 78 years ago in Jersey City, New Jersey. Founding member and drummer of The Young Rascals/The Rascals. "A Beautiful Morning" '68..one of the very first "stereo" 7" singles released (along with the Doors "Hello, I Love You")

Original drummer and co-founder of Rush, John Rutsey, was born on this date in 1952. He passed away May 11, 2008 in Toronto. Only appears on the debut album. Neil Peart takes over July '74.
"I've Been Runnin"..never appears on an album..from '74 St. Catharines, Ontario..

Nose Chin Smile Mouth Sunglasses

Donna Jean and Keith Godchaux..
Grateful Dead pianist from 1971-1979, Keith Godchaux, dies in a car accident July 23, 1980. He was born July 19, 1948 in Seattle. "Eyes Of The World"...Winterland '74..

David Essex (David Albert Cook) was born July 23, 1947 in Essex, England. "Rock On" '73..

Alison Krauss is born July 23, 1971 in Decatur, Illinois. Not quite 50's-70's, but with the voice of an angel..c'mon..
"Down In The River To Pray" from the 2002 documentary "Down from the Mountain"..link to full 90min film at bottom..

"Down from the Mountain" documentary..

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
July 24, 2022
#1 this week in 1971 "Indian Reservation (The Lament of the Cherokee Reservation Indian)" by Paul Revere and the Raiders....

#1 country hit 1972, Charley Pride "It's Gonna Take A Little Bit Longer"...

Elton John has his first #1 in the UK 1976 "Don't Go Breaking My Heart (with Kiki Dee)"

Hair Head Outerwear Sleeve Beard
"America" (l-r) Dan Peek, Gerry Beckley, Dewey Bunnell
Founding member Dan Peek passed away July 24, 2011 in Farmington, Missouri. He was born November 1, 1950 Panama City, Florida. "Lonely People" '75..

Forehead Glasses Nose Smile Chin

Orleans co-founder/keyboardist/singer Larry Hoppen was born January 12, 1951. He died July 24, 2012......"Dance with Me" '75...

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
July 25, 2022
Jim McCarty was born July 25, 1943 in Liverpool, England. Founding member and drummer of The Yardbirds, he is still out touring with "Yardbirds 2022" (last original member still touring)..
"Train Kept A Rollin".'68 w/ Jimmy Page..

Singer/songwriter Steve Goodman was born on this date in 1948 Chicago. He passed away from leukemia in Seattle September 20, 1984. Co-wrote "You Never Even Called Me By My Name" with John Prine. Goodman released it in '71, but David Allan Coe's '74 version is the one you always heard at the bar at 2:15am after "Last Call!" :LOL:

The "Silver Fox", Charlie Rich, passes away July 25, 1995 in Hammond, Louisiana. He was born December 14, 1942 Colt, Arkansas.
"Behind Closed Doors" released in '71..clip from '88..(clip will play here)

Face Outerwear Hairstyle Facial expression Black
"Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac" '69..L-R John McVie, Danny Kirwan, Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, Mick Fleetwood. Founding member Peter Green passed away July 25, 2020 in Essex, England. He was born October 29, 1946 in London....
"Oh Well"..written by Green, and released in '69..

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument Musician String instrument

Manny Charlton, founding member and lead guitarist of Nazareth, was born on this date 1941 Andalusia, Spain. He passed away just a few weeks ago, July 5, 2022 during a visit to Texas..."Love Hurts" '76.."Hair of the Dog" wouldn't play here because of "Now you're messing with a SOB" :LOL:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 · (Edited)
July 26, 2022
Jeannie C. Riley :love: records "Harper Valley PTA" on this date in 1968. First female singer to have a #1 on both Billboard and Country Top 100 (though not at the same time). Dolly did it 13 years later with "9 to 5"..

Sir Michael Philip Jagger turns 79 today. He was born on this date 1943 Dartford, England. Clip from their first appearance on Sullivan Oct. '64. Ol' Ed requested they wear jackets and wash their hair after this appearance :LOL: Didn't happen.
"Around and Around".. and "Time Is On my Side"..quoting Ed..“I promise you they’ll never be back on our show. It took me 17 years to build this show and I’m not going to have it destroyed in a matter of weeks.” They appeared 5 more times...

Dobie Gray was born July 26, 1940 Simonton, Texas. He passed away December 6, 2011 in Nashville..."Drift Away"..'73..

True legend, J.J. Cale, was born December 5, 1938 in Oklahoma City. He passed away July 26, 2013 in La Jolla, California. Hard to find somebody back then that didn't cover or perform a J.J. Cale song..
..from 2004 with Eric Clapton.."After Midnight" and "Call Me The Breeze".. both written by J.J.

Plant Happy Gesture Tree Entertainment

Karac Pendra Plant, age 5, dies in England from a stomach virus July 26, 1977. Zeppelin had just finished a concert on July 24 in Oakland at "The Day On The Green" festival. That show would be their last performance ever in the US.
"All My Love" from "In Through the Out Door"..written by Robert and Jones as a tribute to Karac....

The Day a Tragic Loss Changed Led Zeppelin Forever

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
July 27, 2022
Bobby Day (b.Robert James Byrd) passed away July 27, 1990 Los Angeles. He was born July 1, 1930 Ft. Worth, Texas......"Rockin' Robin" '58

Mama Cass Elliot releases her first solo single after the break up of The Mamas & the Papas in 1968........"Dream A Little Dream of Me" w/ Tommy Smothers..(peaked at #12)

Bobbie Gentry was born July 27, 1942 Woodland, Mississippi. Still lives outside Memphis, but has avoided ALL spotlight and lives a very private life now (y) "Fancy" written by her, and first released in '69..

#1 country song in 1971.."Bright Lights, Big City"..Sonny James..aka "the Southern Gentleman"

Microphone Musical instrument Arm White Guitar

Lynyrd Skynyrd bassist from 1972 until his death in 2001, Leon Wilkeson passes away July 27, 2001. He was born April 2, 1952 Newport, Rhode Island. "What's Your Name" ...New Jersey July '77, three months before the crash...

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
July 28, 2022
22 year old Jerry Lee Lewis makes his first national TV appearance in 1957. "The Killer" is still alive and kickin' at 86 years old down around Mississippi way. "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On"...

Pink Floyd co-founder and keyboardist Richard Wright was born July 28, 1943 Middlesex, England. He passed away September 15, 2008 in London. "Paint Box" '68...first video footage with the "new" guy, David Gilmour on guitar..

Legendary guitarist Mike Bloomfield was born July 28, 1943 in Chicago. He died February 15, 1981 in San Francisco. Cut his teeth playing with all the old Chicago Bluesmen, then later with Paul Butterfield Blues Band...and The Electric Flag...
"Over Lovin' You"...w/Buddy Miles on drums/vocals..from Monterey '67

Chicago's album "Chicago VI" hits #1 in 1973. "Just You 'n' Me".. Caribou Ranch, Colorado '74..

Sunglasses Cap Beard Sleeve Eyewear
(l-r) Frank Beard, Billy Gibbons, Dusty Hill
ZZ Top's Dusty Hill passed away one year ago, today, in Houston. He was born May 19, 1949 in Dallas. "Tube Snake Boogie"...Germany '80..

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
July 29, 2022
Smile Outerwear Eyebrow Jaw Gesture

Cream perform for the first time live in Manchester, England 1966. "I Feel Free" '66..

Mama Cass Elliot passed away (not from a ham sandwich) July 29, 1974 in London. She was born September 19, 1941 Baltimore...."Words of Love" '66 Sullivan...

#1 country song this week 1979..Dolly's "You're the Only One"... "Up here fellas, up here":LOL:

Geddy Lee was born July 29, 1953 in Ontario. "Limelight" '81...**link to interview with Geddy about his 250+ piece vintage guitar collection..probably second only to Cheap Trick's Rick Nielsen?
Geddy Lee’s Magnificent Obsession

Zeppelin finish a three night stand at Madison Square Garden 1973. Video of these shows would be used in The Song Remains the Same film.. "Since I've Been Loving You"...8min

·
Registered
937 Posts
July 29, 2022
View attachment 492181
Cream perform for the first time live in Manchester, England 1966. "I Feel Free" '66..

Mama Cass Elliot passed away (not from a ham sandwich) July 29, 1974 in London. She was born September 19, 1941 Baltimore...."Words of Love" '66 Sullivan...

#1 country song this week 1979..Dolly's "You're the Only One"... "Up here fellas, up here":LOL:

Geddy Lee was born July 29, 1953 in Ontario. "Limelight" '81...**link to interview with Geddy about his 250+ piece vintage guitar collection..probably second only to Cheap Trick's Rick Nielsen?
Geddy Lee’s Magnificent Obsession

Zeppelin finish a three night stand at Madison Square Garden 1973. Video of these shows would be used in The Song Remains the Same film.. "Since I've Been Loving You"...8min
Got 2 more to add if you don't mind:
On this date in 1974 Neil Peart replaced John Rustey on the drum stool for Rush. Pretty good replacement I would say
Also on this date in 1974 "Mama" Cass Elliot died in London England,and she died of a heart attack and did not choke on a ham sandwich as falsely reported

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
On this date in 1974 Neil Peart replaced John Rustey on the drum stool for Rush. Pretty good replacement I would say
***see July 23...kind of covered it. He (Rutsey) apparently was a terrible drummer :D
Also on this date in 1974 "Mama" Cass Elliot died in London England,and she died of a heart attack and did not choke on a ham sandwich as falsely reported
Uhhh..it's the second tune down I posted. Love Mama Cass. There just happened to be a ham sandwich on the nightstand. Her manager supposedly forced the issue...story from the original reporter who first reported the death

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
July 30, 2022
Paul Anka was born on this date 1941 in Ontario, Canada. "Put Your Head On My Shoulder" '59..

#1 country song this week in 1963 "Ring of Fire" Johnny Cash..from The Jimmy Dean Show '64..

Lynn Anderson passed away July 30, 2015 in Nashville. She was born September 26, 1947 Grand Forks, North Dakota.
"(I Never Promised You A) Rose Garden" hit #1 country chart and #3 Billboard chart in '71...

#1 this week 1977..Andy Gibb "I Just Want To Be Your Everything"....

Buddy Guy was born July 30, 1936 Lettsworth, Louisiana. Still out touring today..is actually appearing tonight in Cincinnati..
"Stay Around A Little Longer" w/B.B. 😇

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
10,534 Posts
Wow! I hope everybody listened to the very end! I have a few people in my life that I feel that way about!

Reactions: mrb1

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
July 31, 2022
Jim Reeves was born August 20, 1923 Galloway, Texas. He died (along with his manager) July 31, 1964 when the single engine plane he was piloting went down in a thunderstorm in Davidson County, Tennessee. "He'll Have To Go"...'59

Outerwear Hairstyle Photograph Black Coat
Gary, and his dad, Jerry Lewis.
Drummer Gary Lewis was born July 31, 1945 in Newark, New Jersey. Gary Lewis & The Playboys.."This Diamond Ring"..

Roland Kent LaVoie,,,,stage name "Lobo", was born July 31, 1943 Tallahassee, Florida.
"I'd Love You to Want Me"..'72..

#1 this week '68 "Hello, I Love You" The Doors. Frankfurt, Germany September promoting their first European tour. Supposed actual passers-by who had no idea what was going on :ROFLMAO: From the German TV show "4-3-2-1 Hot & Sweet"...

Musical instrument Violin family String instrument String instrument String instrument accessory

Cellist for ELO from '72 to '79, Hugh McDowell was born July 31, 1953 London. He passed away November 6, 2018.
"Livin' Thing" '76..

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
10,534 Posts
Jim Reeves was the one country music artist that my Mom really liked. She was more into the crooners and big band.

Reactions: mrb1

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
August 1, 2022
1971 The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour (later Sonny and Cher Show) premieres on CBS. Ran off and on, due to their divorce in '74, for six years. "Bad Moon Rising"..9min opening..

#1 in 1972.."Alone Again (Naturally)" Gilbert O'Sullivan..

1971.. The Concert for Bangladesh takes place in Madison Square Garden. Organized by George Harrison and Ravi Shankar.
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" George Harrison, with Eric Clapton..**video starts at :17..

Bassist and vocalist of King Crimson, and later, Bad Company, Boz Burrell is born in 1946 Lincolnshire, England. He passed away September 21, 2006 in Spain.
Bad Company.."Good Lovin' Gone Bad" '74..

Musical instrument Smile Musician Beard Guitar accessory

Jerome John Garcia was born August 1, 1942 in San Francisco. Jerry passed away August 9, 1995 Forest Knolls, California :cry:
"Uncle John's Band"...Winterland '74 9min..

161 - 180 of 195 Posts