Ohio Game Fishing banner
141 - 160 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 · (Edited)
July 10, 2022
Bobby Gentry's "Ode To Billie Joe" is released in '67. It hits #1 in August. She turns 80 end of this month. Hasn't recorded, performed, or been interviewed since the 1982 CMA's...

The Runaways drummer and founding member (with Joan Jett), Sandy West, was born on this date 1959, Long Beach, California. She passed away October 21, 2006 San Dimas, California......
"Wild Thing"..Japan '77..

Arlo Guthrie was born on this date 1947 Brooklyn, New York...."City of New Orleans" '93...

Triumph guitarist and lead singer, Rik Emmett is born 1953 Toronto, Canada...
"Lay It On The Line"...US Festival '83..

Ronnie James Dio 🤘 was born on this date 1942 Portsmouth, New Hampshire. He passed away May 16, 2016 Houston, Texas. Tough to pick just one to post...
Rainbow, Live in Munich '77..."Man on the Silver Mountain" 15minutes..

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
July 11, 2022
#1 this week in 1970..Three Dog Night.."Mama Told Me Not To Come".. ..

Rob Grill, bassist and lead singer for The Grass Roots, passes away in 2011 Mount Dora, Florida. He was born November 30 1943 in Los Angeles..."Let's Live For Today"..

"Everybody Plays The Fool" by The Main Ingredient first enters the charts in '72. It peaks at #3....clip '74 ...

#1 this week 1975..The Captain and Tennille..."Love Will Keep Us Together"..

#1 country hit this week 1975...Merle Haggard.."Movin' On"..from the '89 special "Truckin' in the USA"..

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 · (Edited)
July 12, 2022
Clothing Musical instrument Guitar Musician Guitar accessory

On July 12, 1958 "The Beatles" make their first recording. Then going by "The Quarrymen" consisting of 18 year old Lennon, 16 year old McCartney and 15 year old Harrison (with Colin Hanton and John Lowe). One 78rpm was made with "In Spite of All the Danger" on the B side. John Lowe owned it until 1981 when he was set to put it up for auction. Sir Paul stepped in and purchased it from Lowe, and still owns it to this day....A side -"That'll Be The Day"..amazing how long ago this was, Buddy Holly was still alive

Another milestone July 12, 1962..Then going by "The Rollin' Stones" with Jagger, Richards, and Jones and three or four other guys (depending on what you read) play their first public gig at The Marquee Club. Clip is from "The Rolling Stones"..Jagger, Richards, Jones, Wyman, Watts.. first single released early '63.."Come On"..

#1 this week in 1969..Zager and Evans..."In the Year 2525"..

Christine McVie was born 79 years ago on this date in Lancashire, England...Fleetwood Mac.."Over My Head"..

Traffic flutist and saxophonist Chris Wood passed away July 12, 1983 Birmingham, England. He was born June 24, 1944 Birmingham...Traffic.."Glad"..'72..

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
July 13, 2022
Sleeve Gesture Black-and-white Musician Music

The Byrds co-founder/singer/guitarist Roger McGuinn was born on this date 80 years ago in Chicago. Still out touring today.
"Turn, Turn, Turn,/ The Bells of Rhymney/ Mr. Tambourine Man"..'65..

#1 country song this week 1970..Tammy Wynette.."He Loves Me All The Way"..George and Tammy Show..'73

#1 this week 1974..George McCrae.."Rock Your Baby"..Soul Train '74...

1964 #1 in the UK (US #1 in September)...The Animals.."House Of The Rising Sun"..Sullivan '64, just a few months after the Beatles appearance..Eric Burdon vocals, future Hendrix manager Chas Chandler on bass..

Smile Sleeve Sky Gesture Travel

Cheech Marin (b. Richard Anthony Marin) turns 80 today. He was born in Los Angeles.
Opening scene from "Up In Smoke"..'78 with War's "Low Rider"..

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
July 14, 2022
After a few shows in New York, San Francisco and one at Monterey in June, The Who begin their first ever US tour on this date in 1967. The 55 date tour starts in Portland, Oregon with The Who opening for Herman's Hermits :LOL:
"Summertime Blues"..Monterey Pop, June '67..

#1 country song this week 1973...Loretta Lynn.."Love Is The Foundation"..

#1 in 1976...Starland Vocal Band.."Afternoon Delight"...the beginning of the end

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire

On July 14, 1969 the film "Easy Rider" opens in theaters. The soundtrack sells over 500,000 copies.
Fraternity of Man..."Don't Bogart Me (That Joint)"...

Steppenwolf..."The Pusher" and "Born To Be Wild"...

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
10,539 Posts
The Who had a certain sound, very clean, on their studio albums. Then I bought "Live at Leeds"! The sound that came roaring out of those speakers was amazing!

Reactions: mrb1

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
The Who had a certain sound, very clean, on their studio albums. Then I bought "Live at Leeds"! The sound that came roaring out of those speakers was amazing!
Yes, "Live at Leeds" is probably top 5 live albums all time. Almost posted a clip from that, but wanted to stay in '67.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
July 15, 2022
Muscle Art Beard Painting Picture frame

Artimus Pyle was born in Louisville, Kentucky 74 years ago on this date. He was the drummer for Lynyrd Skynyrd '74-'77 and '87-'91 appearing on seven of their albums. He also survived the plane crash in '77.
"Saturday Night Special"..Knebworth, England '76...

1972 Sir Elton John's fifth album "Honky Chateau" starts a five week run at #1...
"Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters"..'72

#1 country hit this week 1969..Conway Twitty.."I Love You More Today"..

Hair Face Plant Human body Neck

Linda Ronstadt was born in Tuscon, Arizona on this date 76 years ago. Shortly after leaving The Stone Poneys, The Johnny Cash Show makes her a national star in '69
"The Only Mama That'll Walk The Line" and "I Will Never Marry".. with Johnny..

The Johnny Cash Show..."Long Long Time"..'70..

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
July 16, 2022
Kitty Wells passed away July 16, 2012 in Madison, Tennessee. She was born August 30, 1919 in Nashville. First female country singer to have a #1 on the charts... 1952...."It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels"...

#1 in 1966 this week..Tommy James & The Shondells.."Hanky Panky"

Harry Chapin dies in a car accident 1981 Long Island, New York on his way to a gig. He was born December 7, 1942 New York City. "Taxi"..from The Midnight Special '73..

Hair Hairstyle Eyebrow Facial expression Vertebrate

Johnny Winter passed away on this date 2014 Zurich, Switzerland. He was born February 23, 1944 Beaumont, Texas..
"Mean Town Blues"...'71..

Deep Purple's co-founding member Jon Lord was born June 9, 1941 Leicester, England. He died July 16, 2012 in London.
"Space Truckin'" '73 11min version with Jon's 5min organ solo at 3:15, then all hell breaks out..

·
10,539 Posts
Wow! for my money, Winter is the best rock/blues guitarist of all time! Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Townsendhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pCKKUUqr5sd you name them! I was a huge fan of his. Too bad the drug use brought him down! The first I searched for him on the internet, I was treated to a video of him performing solo on some British TV show. No backing musicians, just him. And he proceeded to just blow the roof off that dump! And I haven't been able to find it since! I don't know where it went. I would love to post it on the Classic Rock thread.

Also the beginning of the song sounds suspiciously like "La Grange" by ZZ Top. Don't mean to step on your toes. but I may have stumbled across an even more incendiary rendition of Mean Town Blues, from Johnny at guess where? Woodstock! How was this left out of the film?

Unfortunately, it's one of those "analysis" vids. except in this case, I feel the same as the commentator!

Reactions: bassplayer

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 · (Edited)
but I may have stumbled across an even more incendiary rendition of Mean Town Blues, from Johnny at guess where? Woodstock
Big fan also. Know it well;). Probably too long (almost 11min) for the original film release? Sound quality isn't there either, really. Most folks then also had never heard of him before that day. It is on the 40th Anniversary box set release. Worth the money just for the disc of performances that didn't make the original film alone. I like to try and post the more "obscure" clips that maybe most folks haven't seen before. Fil (aka "Wings of Pegasus"^^^) always does a great job analyzing guitarists. Love his channel.
Hair Plant Wood Rectangle Font

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
July 17, 2022
Forehead Face Head Hairstyle Eyebrow

(l.-r.) Pete York, Spencer Davis, Muff Winwood and Steve Winwood.
Spencer Davis was born July 17, 1939 in Swansea, Wales. He passed October 19, 2020 in Los Angeles. Too bad they didn't last longer as a group. Some new kid, Stevie Winwood on guitar.. The Spencer Davis Group.."Sittin' and Thinkin" '66..

James Brown releases "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag" in 1965..his first top ten hit..

#1 country song 1972..."Made In Japan"...Buck Owens..

Today is the 73rd birthday of bassist Terence Michael Joseph "Geezer" Butler.
Black Sabbath (original lineup).."N.I.B." with cool story of the origin of the title..

Guitar Musical instrument Guitar accessory String instrument Musical instrument accessory

On July 17th & 18th 1975, Bob Marley and The Wailers are recorded Live! at The Lyceum Ballroom, London. Apparently no video was shot of the shows due to some contractual/licensing b.s.?.........
"No Woman, No Cry"..

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
July 18, 2022
"Screamin" Jay Hawkins was born on this date 1929 Cleveland, Ohio. He passed away in France on February 12, 2000. "I Put A Spell On You" was originally written, recorded and released by Jay in 1956. Legend is that they were set to record it as a ballad. Jay and the boys were so liquored up, that the recording pretty much came out like this, the "famous" version. The costumes and props came a little later.

Dion DiMucci turns 83 today. He was born on this date 1939 The Bronx, New York. After his numerous hits of the 50's early 60's (Runaround Sue, The Wanderer) he "came back" in '68 with "Abraham, Martin, and John"...

Art Sleeve Musician Pianist Rectangle

Early electric guitar legend, Lonnie Mack, was born July 18, 1941 West Harrison, Indiana. He passed away April 21, 2016 Smithville, Tennessee. Never really had commercial success, but is looked to as an early influence by many of the greats, including Stevie Ray Vaughan..."Wham!" '86..originally written, recorded and released in Cincinnati, Ohio in '63 by Mack..

Ricky Skaggs was born July 18, 1954 Cordell, Kentucky. "Easy" to become a living legend when your career starts about the age of 5 playing with all the old legends.
"Uncle Pen" with Bill Monroe at the Opry..

#1 country song this week 1976...Red Sovine.. "Teddy Bear"..

·
10,539 Posts
Ricky Skaggs album "Big Mon", covers of a lot of Bill Monroe's songs with a slew of great guest performers, is one of my favorite albums of all time!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 · (Edited)
July 19, 2022
#1 country song this week 1967...Jack Greene "All The Time"..

Clothing Chin Facial expression Fashion Jaw

(L-R) Glenn Frey, Randy Meisner, Bernie Leadon, Don Henley.
Original Eagles member, Bernie Leadon, turns 75 today. He quit the group in '75...
"Earlybird" from their first album '73..

Musical instrument Guitar Musician String instrument Concert

Allen Collins, one of the founding members of Lynyrd Skynyrd, was born July 19, 1952 in Jacksonville, Florida. He passed away January 23, 1990 from pneumonia. Wayyyy too much tragedy throughout his short life..
"I Ain't The One" '75...

#1 country song 1975 Conway Twitty..."Touch The Hand"...

Queen co-founder and guitar legend, Brian May, turns 75 today.
"I Want To Break Free".. Wembley Stadium, 1986..

·
10,539 Posts
Was there ever a better front man than Freddie Mercury? And let's not forget that Brian May is a PHD in astrophysics, who has lectured internationally! He just got his doctorate a little bit late in life, since he was too busy being a rock star! i've often thought that guitar virtuosos were geniuses simply for being able to figure out the instrument!

And if you have time, click on the Jarlan Regan (lower right hand corner) vid, for something really hilarious!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
July 20, 2022
Buddy Knox was born July 20, 1933 Happy, Texas. He passed away February 14, 1999. Was on the same Texas radio program with his group as Roy Orbison was with his in '56. "Party Doll"...'57

On this date in 1975, Steven "Little Steven" Van Zandt makes his live debut with Bruce and The E Street Band in Rhode Island.
"Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out"...London '75..

#1 country hit this week 1968..."Folsom Prison Blues".. from "Johnny Cash at San Quentin" '69..

Carlos Santana was born on this date 75 years ago in Jalisco, Mexico. Sounds like he is feeling better after passing out onstage last week. His current tour is scheduled to resume July 23.
"Evil Ways"...Tanglewood Theater, Lenox, MA. '70

"Europa"...Live from Montreux 2011...

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
July 21, 2022
#1 this week 1970 Carpenters.."(They Long To Be) Close To You"..

#1 1973 Jim Croce "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown"..

#1 1974 John Denver..."Annie's Song"..clip from Australia '77..

#1 country song 1977 Ronnie Milsap..."It Was Almost Like A Song" Ronnie is still out touring occasionally..

Cloud Font Adaptation Snapshot News

In 1969, Blind Faith release their only album (unfortunately).
"Presence of the Lord"..from The Concert in Hyde Park, London, June '69..

141 - 160 of 195 Posts