101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 · (Edited)
June 10, 2022
Watch Photograph Vision care White Coat
Ray and "Little" Stevie Wonder 1962
Ray Charles Robinson Sr. passed away on this date in 2004 in Beverly Hills. He was born September 23, 1930 Albany, Georgia. The term "legend' gets used all the time. Heck, I use it about every posting. But there is only one who you can call "The Genius".
"What'd I Say"..Ed Sullivan show '67..with a young Billy Preston on organ..

"I've Got A Woman"..from the "Live at The Olympia" concert in Paris, 2000...the Raelettes and Ray's back up band were stuck at the airport and didn't make the show. Didn't phase him one bit...

"Georgia On My Mind"...Live At Montreux 1997..

Ram Jam's "Black Betty" first hits the charts this week at #92 in 1977. It peaked at #18. Numerous stories and legends of the song going back 100+ years.
First known recording of "Black Betty" performed by James "Iron Head" Baker and crew at a Texas Penitentiary in 1933..

Ram Jam..1977..

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
June 11, 2022
Hank Williams makes his debut appearance at The Grand Ole Opry on this date in 1949.."Lovesick Blues"

Also on this date in 1949, ZZ Top's drummer and non beard sporting, Frank Beard, was born in Frankston, Texas.
"Just Got Paid"...1980..

Black Black-and-white Standing Gesture Style

(l-r) Johnny, Donnie, Dad Lacy, and Ronnie Van Zant. The Mount Rushmore of Southern Rock right there.
The middle of the three Van Zant boys, Donnie Van Zant, was born in 1952 Jacksonville, Florida. Lead singer and guitarist, (along with Don Barnes) of .38 Special from 1974-2013...."Wild Eyed Southern Boys"...

David Bowie first releases "Space Oddity" on this date in 1969...from The Midnight Special, 1973..

Lip Lipstick Jaw Eyelash Smile
Wild Cherry release their self-titled debut album in 1976. "Play That Funky Music"...hit #1 by September '76...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
June 12, 2022
Reg Presley, lead singer of the group "The Troggs", was born on this date in 1941 Andover, England. He passed away February 4, 2013 in Andover, England...... "Wild Thing"..1966

Johnny Cash's "One Piece At A Time" is the #1 country hit this week in 1976. The song tells the story of a GM assembly line worker who steals a Cadillac off the line, piece by piece, over the span of 20+ years. Of course the models change throughout this time frame, and he ends up with a "custom" Caddy. Coming from several generations of Dayton, Ohio GM workers myself, I remember hearing stories like this growing up. One in particular was a friend of ole Dad's who did take home enough bits and pieces to make a log splitter years ago :LOL:

The actual "Psychobilly" Cadillac used in Johnny's above video is now in a museum in Roscoe, Illinois...

Microphone Musical instrument Musician Concert Guitar
Light World Unidentified flying object Font Space

"Boston" lead singer and guitarist, Brad Delp, was born on this date in 1951 Peabody, Mass. Sadly, he took his own life on March 9, 2007 Atkinson, NH.
"Party"..'78

"More Than A Feeling"...'79

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 · (Edited)
June 13, 2022
#1 country hit this week in 1969.."Running Bear" by Sonny James. Written by The Big Bopper originally for Johnny Preston in 1959. From the 4th episode of Hee-Haw '69...

#1 Billboard hit 1971..."Want Ads"..The Honey Cone...from Soul Train '71..

#1 country hit 1978.."Georgia On My Mind" by Willie Nelson..from the US Festival '83...

Peter Frampton played two nights at the Winterland Ballroom, San Francisco 1975. These shows, (along with a couple others), would be used for the double live album "Frampton Comes Alive!", released on January 6, 1976.
"Show Me The Way"..from The Midnight Special, Sept. '75..

"Do You Feel Like We Do"..from '77

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
June 14, 2022
Watch Smile Arm Musical instrument Guitar accessory

Rory Gallagher died on this date in 1995 London. He was born March 2, 1948 Ballyshannon, Ireland. Probably the most underrated and overlooked guitarist of the era. Just too many other great players at that same time. According to lore, in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine, Jimi Hendrix was asked, “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world?” He is believed to have answered, “I don't know, go ask Rory Gallagher.”
"What's Going On"..with his group "Taste"...from The Isle Of Wight Festival '70

"Shin Kicker"..Live at Montreux '79

1969...The Doors, "Tell All The People", hits the charts

1973..Tammy Wynette's "Kids Say The Darndest Things" is #1 this week..

1977...Fleetwood Mac is #1 with "Dreams"..

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
10,420 Posts
Wow! I loved Rory Gallagher back in the day. Thanks for reminding me.

Reactions: mrb1

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
June 15, 2022
Harry Nilsson was born on this date in 1941, Brooklyn, New York. Heart problems since birth, he passed on January 15, 1994 Agoura Hills, California.
"Everybody's Talkin"...'68

"Without You".'71

Matt "Guitar" Murphy passed away June 15, 2018 Miami, Florida. He was born December 29, 1929 Sunflower, Mississippi. I guess if you play with enough legends, you are a legend. Played for. or with, just about every blues legend for 40+ yeas..including The Blues Brothers. 😇
"Shotgun Blues"...with Jake and Elwood..'79...damn

Waylon Jennings was born in 1937 Littlefield, Texas. He passed on February 13, 2002 Chandler, Arizona... great medley with Johnny on his show..'70..hardly recognizable, except for the voice..

"Lonesome, On'ry and Mean/I'm A Ramblin' Man"...helluva' singer, better picker maybe?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 · (Edited)
June 16, 2022
The Monterey International Pop Festival opened on June 16, 1967. Tried to include a couple clips from "The Outtakes" footage. Worth checking out The Criterion Collection Blu-ray box set for that 2 hour disc alone, and the 5.1 mixes. Assuming anyone still buys dvd's :unsure:

"Rollin' and Tumblin'"..Canned Heat

"Driftin' Blues"..The Paul Butterfield Blues Band...w/ still tickin' Elvin Bishop on guitar

"Drinkin' Wine""..The Electric Flag..with Mike Bloomfield on lead guitar and Buddy Miles on drums..not bad for their debut performance

"Ball and Chain"...Big Brother and the Holding Company..seen it probably 1,000 times, still get the same expression on my face as Mama Cass did seeing it live. It was actually their second time performing the song at the festival, first one the day before was not recorded

...and of course, "Wild Thing"..single greatest performance in rock history☮

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
10,420 Posts
In the two Waylon Jennings clips you posted, the only way you could possibly know that they were the same guy is that they were playing the same guitar!

Reactions: bassplayer and mrb1

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
In the two Waylon Jennings clips you posted, the only way you could possibly know that they were the same guy is that they were playing the same guitar!
Johnny said that when he and Waylon shared an apartment way back, he would have to hide the pills (Amphetamines, speed) from Waylon because he was taking way too many. Waylon would always find them Johnny said. His appearance shows the progression from some pills/pot to, he himself said, a $1,500 A DAY coke habit.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
June 17, 2022
Barry Manilow turns 79 today. Yea, yea, lets hear it. Just reminds me of growing up and my Mom😇. He was second, only to Elvis to her. Know probably every word to all his hits, even though I never really sought him out. Wrote dozens of songs for others, and tons of jingles. Would bet you hear one of his jingles every day on the radio, or tv commercials..
"Can't Smile Without You"..'78

"I Write The Songs"..'77

back on track now..."School's Out"..Alice Cooper is #40 this week. It peaked at #7 in 1972..

"When Will I Be Loved" by Linda Ronstadt :love: is the #1 country song this week, 1975

another smokin' hot singer, Blondie, release their first single in '76..."X Offender"..

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
June 18, 2022
Musical instrument Photograph Guitar Band plays Human

"The Big Man", Clarence Clemons, passed away June 18, 2011. He was born January 11, 1942 Norfolk County, Virginia. His nephew, Jake Clemons, has since taken over his spot in the E Street Band.
"Jungleland"...London '75,,10min, solo at 3:50.

"Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)"..Phoenix '78..

Sir Paul McCartney turns 80 today. Nearly 60 years between these two clips. Earliest known video(?) of the "Fab Four". Ringo had just joined weeks/days before. At the end there are fans yelling.."We want Pete(Best)"
"Some Other Guy"...Cavern club, London '62..

Just a few days ago in New Jersey.."Birthday" and at 4:35 "Helter Skelter"..

Rare Earth drummer, Peter Rivera (b.Peter Hoorelbeke), is arrested after a show for throwing his drumsticks into the crowd in '74..not sure about that, just a good excuse to play a kick ass tune..
"I Just Want To Celebrate"...'71

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
June 19, 2022
Somehow ended up with all kick ass women today..
Martha and the Vandellas record "Dancing In The Street" in Detroit, 1964

#1 this week in 1971....
Carole King "I Feel The Earth Move/Will You Love Me Tomorrow/It's Too Late"

#1 country this week 1978..Emmylou Harris and The Hot Band.. "Two More Bottles of Wine"..(young Ricky Skaggs in yellow shirt)

Clothing Face Hair Nose Head

Heart's Ann and Nancy Wilson. Ann turns 72 today. Nancy is four years younger
"Heartless"...from local PBS channel in Pullman, Washington 1976

"Crazy On You".. '77..

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
June 20, 2022
"Mr. Guitar", Chet Atkins, was born on this date 1924 Luttrell, Tennessee. He died June 30, 2001 in Nashville. Makes it look so easy. Four song medley from The Johnny Cash Show...

#1 country hit this week 1975.."You're My Best Friend"...Don Williams..great crowd sing-a-long at the end

1978 Foreigner release their second album, Double Vision....."Blue Morning, Blue Day"..

Forehead Hair Face Head Chin
Microphone Gesture Entertainment Public address system Music artist

The Beach Boys' Brian Wilson turns 80 today. Always about half nuts, but still a genius
"Good Vibrations"..

"God Only Knows"...written by Brian who said only his younger brother, Carl, had the voice to sing properly.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 · (Edited)
June 21, 2022
John Lee Hooker passed away June 21, 2001. He was born August 22, 1912 Tutwiler, Mississippi.
"Boom Boom"..'80 :cool:

Jimmy Page makes his live debut with The Yardbirds at The Marquee Club, London in 1966... "Dazed and Confused"..clip from '68, Zeppelin would record it about a year and a half later..**not "original", Jake Holmes wrote and first recorded Dazed in early '67

Founding member and drummer for Aerosmith, Joey Kramer, was born in the Bronx, New York 1950..
"Train Kept A Rollin'"...'74

Sir Ray Davies of The Kinks turns 78 today. Born 1944 in London...
"Sunny Afternoon"..'66

"Lola"..written by Ray and recorded by the group in 1970..from '72?..

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
June 22, 2022
1963...13-year old Stevie Wonder first entered the US singles chart as Little Stevie Wonder with 'Fingertips" Parts One and Two.
Not sure of this clip from The Apollo Theater, but Marvin Gaye plays the drums on the original release...

The Turtles founding member and lead singer, Howard Kaylan, turns 75 today. After The Turtles split, he joined Zappa's Mothers of Invention, and then later was half of "Flo and Eddie" (with Mark Volman, also from The Turtles)..."Happy Together" '67

In 1979, Neil Young releases the live album.. "Rust Never Sleeps"....which included "Powderfinger"

Facial expression Jaw Sleeve Standing Street fashion
Microphone Chin Musician Music artist Public address system

Kris Kristofferson turns 86 today. He was born in 1936 Brownsville, Texas. Living legend ☮
"Me and Bobby McGee"..written by Kris, originally performed by Roger Miller in '69. Kris released it in '70. And Janis' version was released in '71, after her death in '70..clip from Austin City Limits '81..

"Sunday Morning Coming Down"...written by Kris in '69, first recorded by Ray Stevens in '69, a #1 for Johnny in '70..clip The Highwaymen '90..

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 · (Edited)
June 23, 2022
Musical instrument Photograph Hat Musician Guitar accessory

Ralph Stanley (left) passed away June 23, 2016 in Coeburn, Virginia. He was born in Big Spraddle Creek, Virginia February 25, 1927. Started as The Stanley Brothers with older brother Carter (b.1925-d.1966)..
"Rank Stranger"...The Stanley Brothers.

"Man Of Constant Sorrow"..with The Clinch Mountain Boys (young Keith Whitley on guitar and Ricky Skaggs on mandolin)

June Carter Cash (b. Valerie June Carter) was born on this date in 1929 Maces Spring, Virginia. She passed May 13, 2003. Johnny would pass four months later. "Jackson"..

Arthur Conley's "Sweet Soul Music" goes gold (500K) in 1967..

The Charlie Daniels Band releases "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" in 1979..

101 - 120 of 122 Posts