181 - 195 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
August 2, 2022
#1 country song this week 1973...Jerry Reed..."Lord, Mr. Ford"

Dress shirt Sleeve Collar Cool Fixture

Drummer, and singer with Traffic, (and with just about everybody throughout his 40 year career) Jim Capaldi was born August 2, 1944 Worcestershire, England. He passed away January 28, 2005 London. Co-founded Traffic in '67 with Stevie Winwood...
"Light Up or Leave Me Alone"..Santa Monica '72..

Musical instrument Keyboard Piano Musical instrument accessory Organist

Garth Hudson turns 85 today. He was born in Ontario, Canada. Proficient in at least nine instruments, most notably the Lowrey organ...The Band..."Don't Do It" NYC '71..

#1 this week in 1975.. The Eagles... "One of These Nights"..from '77..*Joe Walsh joined up after the single and album were released

Joe Lynn Turner turns 71 today. He was born in Hackensack, New Jersey. Sang and played guitar for numerous groups. Still out on the road today....Rainbow.."Stone Cold"..'82

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
10,534 Posts
When I saw Dave Mason at a small local venue about 10 years ago, in an acoustic show that was basically a retrospective of his career, he talked quite a bit about Jim Capaldi. Praised him as a lyricist, said stuff like the "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys", and "John Barleycorn Must Die" was all Jimmy as he called him. But he also said that when he wrote a song sometimes he couldn't get the chords quite right. So, Mason would help him. Mason told us that Capaldi had showed him a bunch of new songs that he had written just before he went back to England that all suffered from the same thing. Then he died from stomach cancer. Mason said he was thinking about calling Capaldi's widow and asking her if she would allow him to rework the songs and maybe put out a tribute album. I don't think anything came of that project.

And I read that Garth Hudson, when he was member of the backing band of "Ronnie Hawkins and the Hawks", absolutely insisted on a Lowrey organ! This at a time when the Hammond B3 seemed to be the go to for Rock bands. Whatever, he could really make it sing!

Reactions: bassplayer

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
August 3, 2022
This week in '63, The Beach Boys release "Surfer Girl". Brian wrote the song in '61,,,, he says his first ever...tho not sure ;)

Musical instrument Guitar Microphone Hat String instrument

Bassist, vocalist and founding member of War, Morris "BB" Dickerson was born August 3, 1949 Torrance, California. He passed away last year on April 2 in Long Beach. War "Cisco Kid"..'73

At only 23 years old Stevie Wonder releases his 16th album.."Innervisions" this week in '73...
"Living for the City"..

#1 country song this week '76 George and Tammy..."Golden Ring"

Tony Bennett turns 96 today. He was born August 3, 1926 in NYC. His list of albums and awards is longer than this thread. Finally stepped down for good last year....
"The Way You Look Tonight"...duet w/Faith Hill.... from "Duets II: The Great Performances"..2012

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
August 4, 2022
Louis Armstrong was born August 4, 1901 in New Orleans. He passed July 6, 1971 in New York City.. "When The Saints Go Marching In"...Sullivan '59

Little Milton (James Milton Campbell Jr.) passed away August 4, 2005 in Memphis. He was born September 7, 1934 Inverness, Mississippi. "We're Gonna Make It" '66

1966, The Temptations release "Beauty Is Only Skin Deep"

Paul Simon's "Loves Me Like A Rock" hit the charts in '73. From the 1977 "Paul Simon Special" w/ The Jessy Dixon Singers

Forehead Hair Smile Chin Outerwear
Maurice, Barry and Robin Gibb
#1 this week in 1971..The Bee Gees "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart"

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 · (Edited)
August 5, 2022
Face Lip Eyebrow Smile Sleeve

On August 5, 1962, Marilyn Monroe was found dead in her home in Brentwood, California from an apparent suicide. She was born June 1, 1926 in Los Angeles. "Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend" from the film "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" 1953

The Beatles release their seventh studio album, "Revolver", in the UK 1966. "Here, There and Everywhere".. Paul's answer to The Beach Boys "God Only Knows" which had just been released..

Luther Perkins, of Johnny Cash's backup band for 25+ years, The Tennessee Three, passed away August 5, 1968 in Hendersonville, Tennessee. He was born January 8, 1928 in Como, Mississippi. "I'll Be All Smiles Tonight" w/ June Carter Cash '67...

Hair Hairstyle Facial expression White Black
The McCoys,,(l-r) Randy Zehringer, Rick Zehringer, Bobby Peterson, Randy Jo Hobbs.
Rick Derringer (b. Richard Dean Zehringer) was born August 5, 1947 in Celina, Ohio (raised in Fort Recovery, Ohio). His first big hit was The McCoys "Hang On Sloopy" '65
"Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo" written by Derringer, first recorded by "Johnny Winter And"..clip is with Edgar...

"Hang On Sloopy" video '65

Hat Beard Smile Gesture Facial hair
Richard Hughes, Johnny Winter, Randy Jo Hobbs
Bassist Randy Jo Hobbs died of an overdose on August 5, 1993 in a Dayton, Ohio hotel room. He was born March 22, 1948 Winchester, Indiana. Started with The McCoys, (who also were the house band at the time for the infamous New York jam session with Hendrix, and Morrison at The Scene Club in '68), then with both the Winters' brothers and also Montrose. Wayyy too much "junk" being used by the guys back then.
"Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo" backstage with Randy and Johnny Winter '71...

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
August 6, 2022
Wayne Fontana (b. Glynn Geoffrey Ellis) passed away August 6, 2020 in Stockport, England. He was born October 28, 1945 Manchester, England. Founded Wayne Fontana & The Mindbenders in '63. He sang lead for "The Game of Love", but left the group to go solo prior to their other hit "A Groovy Kind of Love".....actual live audio for a change sounds great '65

Photograph White Black Hat Sunglasses
Food Banana Cooking plantain Saba banana Fruit

Andrew Warhola Jr. was born August 6, 1928 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He passed away February 22, 1987 in New York City.
The Velvet Underground & Nico.."I'm Waiting for the Man" '67..

James Ambrose Johnson Jr. was born February 1, 1948 in Buffalo, New York. He passes away August 6, 2004 Los Angeles.
Rick James & The Stone City Band "Give It to Me Baby" Rockpalast '82

#1 country song this week 1977 Charley Rich (1932-1995) "Rollin' With The Flow"..

Pink Floyd's film "The Wall" first premieres August 6, 1982 in New York. The album was released in November 1979.
"Comfortably Numb" 7min..

·
Registered
937 Posts
August 6, 2022
Wayne Fontana (b. Glynn Geoffrey Ellis) passed away August 6, 2020 in Stockport, England. He was born October 28, 1945 Manchester, England. Founded Wayne Fontana & The Mindbenders in '63. He sang lead for "The Game of Love", but left the group to go solo prior to their other hit "A Groovy Kind of Love".....actual live audio for a change sounds great '65

View attachment 492690 View attachment 492691
Andrew Warhola Jr. was born August 6, 1928 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He passed away February 22, 1987 in New York City.
The Velvet Underground & Nico.."I'm Waiting for the Man" '67..

James Ambrose Johnson Jr. was born February 1, 1948 in Buffalo, New York. He passes away August 6, 2004 Los Angeles.
Rick James & The Stone City Band "Give It to Me Baby" Rockpalast '82

#1 country song this week 1977 Charley Rich (1932-1995) "Rollin' With The Flow"..

Pink Floyd's film "The Wall" first premieres August 6, 1982 in New York. The album was released in November 1979.
"Comfortably Numb" 7min..
Thanks for bringing that one back.One of my all time favorites. Love to listen to David Gilmour

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
July 7, 2022
BJ Thomas was born August 7, 1942 in Hugo, Oklahoma. He passed away May 29, 2021 Arlington, Texas........."Hooked On A Feeling"...from Geraldo's "Good Night America" '74...

Hair Head Hairstyle Sleeve Gesture
UFO, late 70's (l-r) Phil Mogg, Michael Schenker, Paul Raymond, Pete Way, Andy Parker.
Bassist Pete Way was born August 7, 1950 Middlesex, England. He Passed away August 14, 2020.
"Doctor Doctor" UFO '74

The animated film "Heavy Metal" is released in 1981. "Heavy Metal (Takin' a Ride)" by former Eagle, Don Felder.. with backup vocals by Henley and Timothy B. Schmit..

Iron Maiden's vocalist ('81-'93 and '99-present), Bruce Dickinson, is born August 7, 1958 Nottinghamshire, England........"Run To The Hills" '85...

1987...A landmark lawsuit against Ozzy Osborne was dismissed by an Los Angeles judge. It had been contended by the parents of a teen who committed suicide that an Ozzy song, "Suicide Solution," had compelled him.
"Suicide Solution" from After Hours '81..yea it's the 80's, but any chance to play some Randy Rhoads can't be passed up 😇

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 · (Edited)
August 8, 2022
Smile Tie Suit trousers Sleeve Gesture
Mel Tillis and Glen Campbell on "The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour".
Mel Tillis was born August 8, 1932 in Tampa, Florida. He passed away November 19, 2017 in Ocala, Florida. Wasn't born with his stutter, it developed after a bout of malaria as a child. Besides being a legendary songwriter and singer, he was a helluva actor in numerous classic TV series' and movies from the late 60's up to his last in 2008 (Beer for My Horses)....."Coca Cola Cowboy"..'79

Glen Campbell passed away August 8, 2017 in Nashville. He was born April 22, 1938 Delight, Arkansas. During his 55 year career, he had 80 songs on the Top100, 29 top 10's, and 9 #1's. "Wichita Lineman" '68..w/ great intro by the Smothers Brothers...

Glen Campbell, Mel Tillis, and Roy Clark...."When I Stop Dreaming"...clip from '87...3/4th's of a Mount Rushmore right there...

On August 8, 1975 Hank Williams Jr. fell 500 feet while climbing Ajax Peak, Montana. Nearly killed him. The scars from all the surgeries is what brought about the now trademark shades, low tipped hat, and beard...."Old Habits"..'80..

Car Vehicle Infrastructure Gesture Asphalt

On August 8, 1969 the photo session for the cover image for the Beatles "Abbey Road" took place. Only lasted ten minutes, with only six images total taken. Link at bottom is to the live webcam with folks constantly posing for pictures :) I'm sure the locals love that.. :ROFLMAO:
"Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End"..clip from 1997's "Music for Montserrat" benefit concert at Royal Albert Hall, London, with Phil Collins on drums, Mark Knopfler and Eric Clapton on guitar, conducted by Sir George Martin....just wow.....

link to the 24/7 live webcam of the crosswalk..

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
August 9, 2022
#1 country song this week 1969..Charley Pride.."All I Have To Offer You Is Me"..Johnny Cash Show

August 9, 1969 Three Dog Night release "Easy To Be Hard"...video starts at :17..

Also on August 9, '69.. Sly and the Family Stone release "Hot Fun In The Summertime" (w/"I Want To Take You Higher")

Forehead Hand Hairstyle Photograph Eye

Jerry Garcia passed away August 9, 1995 in Forest Knolls, California. He was born August 1, 1942 in San Francisco........Grateful Dead..."Ripple" New York City 1980..

Hair Black Flash photography Smile Font
Queen, 1973
On August 9, 1986 at Knebworth Park, London, Queen perform together for what would be the last time. Freddie passes five years later. Clip is from that show, best footage available, only audience shot footage exists??...."Bohemian Rhapsody"..

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 · (Edited)
August 10, 2022
Jimmy Ray Dean was born August 10, 1928 Seth Ward, Texas. He passed away June 13, 2010 Varina, Virginia. Sold his sausage company (which he started in 1969) to Sara Lee Corp. in 1984 for $80 million.
"Big Bad John"...Sullivan '61

Smile Tie Dress shirt Coat Sleeve
Bill Medley and Bobby Hatfield
"Righteous Brother" Bobby Hatfield is born in 1940 Beaver Dam, Wisconsin. He passes November 5, 2003 Kalamazoo, Michigan.
"(You're My) Soul and Inspiration"...The Dean Martin show '66

#1 country song this week 1975..."Wasted Days and Wasted Nights" Freddy Fender (1937-2006):cool:

Microphone Musical instrument Hat Guitar Musician
Jody Payne and Willie.
Jody Payne was born January 11, 1936 Garrard County, Kentucky. Mr. Payne passed away August 10, 2013. Started his professional career in 1951. He was part of Willie's "Family" from 1973 until he retired in 2008.
"Working Man Blues"... Farm Aid '94...written by Merle Haggard, with whom Jody toured with before joining up with Willie...

Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson turns 75 today. He was born in Dunfermline, Scotland.
"Locomotive Breath"..'77 (w/ Land Of Hope And Glory / Improvisation / Back Door Angels) 10min..

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 · (Edited)
Love the working man blue's. I like Merle's version a little better though.
Yea, more or less a tip of the hat to ol' Merle. Jody and Willie doing the duet was a staple of Willie's shows for years. Tried to find a clip of Merle and Jody..no luck. Saw Willie a few years ago at The Fraze in Kettering on a warm summer night under the stars on a blanket on the grass with my girl...possibly the best show I've ever attended (y)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
August 11, 2022
Smile Jaw Gesture Art Collar

Lefty Baker, guitarist and vocalist of Spanky and Our Gang, passes away August 11, 1971. He was born January 7, 1939. "Like to Get to Know You" '68..

#1 song this week in '66.."Summer In the City"..The Lovin' Spoonful..

Musical instrument Guitar Guitar accessory String instrument String instrument accessory

Founder and original bassist of The Guess Who, Jim Kale, turns 79 today. He was born in Manitoba, Canada. He left the group in '72. Co-wrote "American Woman" in '70 with the other three members after an impromptu jam session one night on stage more or less ended up with the song..

Singer Eric Carmen turns 73 today. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio. He had numerous solo hits in the late 70's and 80's, but his first hit was with the Raspberries..."Go All the Way" in '72

Joe Jackson was born August 11, 1954 Staffordshire, England. "Is She Really Going Out With Him" released in '79..

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 · (Edited)
August 12, 2022
Porter Wagoner was born August 12, 1927 West Plains, Missouri. He passed away October 28, 2007 Nashville. Porter and Dolly (w/ a dirty old Jimmy Dean at the end) :D "Run That By Me One More Time" '73

Buck Owens is born in 1929 Sherman, Texas. He passed away March 25, 2006 in (of course) Bakersfield, California.. "Streets of Bakersfield" .... with his son, Buddy Alan....

Little Feat drummer, Richie Hayward, died August 12, 2010 British Columbia, Canada. He was born February 6, 1946 Des Moines, Iowa. "Fat Man in the Bathtub"...Little Feat in London '77

Janis Joplin (w/the Full Tilt Boogie Band) performs her last concert August 12, 1970 at Harvard Stadium, Boston. Don't believe there is any video footage of that show. There is a "rough" audience taped audio recording available though. She dies October 4, 1970. Clip is from the "Festival Express" train tour of Canada June 28 to July 4, 1970..."Cry Baby"

Nose Smile Cheek Glasses Eye
Les Paul and Olivia Newton-John😇in 2007
Les Paul was born June 9, 1915 Waukesha, Wisconsin. He passes away August 12, 2009 White Plains, New York. Seemed appropriate to post this great clip where, unrehearsed and unannounced, Les asks Olivia (who was just attending the show as a fan) to join him on stage. Class act. On both accounts. "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" 2007..

181 - 195 of 195 Posts