close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

To the Moderators

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mrfishohio, Apr 10, 2004.

1. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I was thinking about this before, and then I dismissed the idea. Now I think it might be a good idea again. Maybe there should be a section or "Library" of articles written by members or even just info from accepted fishing authorities.
    Some could be some of the basic understandings so as new members and new anglers come on board and ask the same questions, they could be refered to there. Also for those of us without photographic memories, it would be a good referance source. Maybe even include links to where this info can be found. Like the link on how to throw a cast net, or how to tie knots. Also articles like Doc had about using circle hooks, electronics (or a link to where he explains it on his site)
    What prompted me to post this, was I see a sticky on some carp stuff and got thinking about the idea of a Library to archive that type of info. It could even have species specific info(Muskie, Carp, etc, and catagories (Hard water, Flyfishing, Trolling[boards, downriggers, leadcore],etc) Just throwing it out there, Thanks, Jim :)

2. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

Hey!! I think the articles thing is already planned but I like the archive of info idea. I get tired of answering the same questions every few months as new members come in. Probably because I ramble on so much making my posts so long, lol. Being able to do all that typing just once ans only have to refer them to a link would be great. I don't know how many long posts I've made in answer to questions about Saugeye reproduction, spoons and bladebaits, and lead-core.

3. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

thank you for the feedback! Just such a place is planned for our space!

4. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Thanks Mr.fish, now get your pen busy and get us a story. May as well get yours on here when we open that up.

5. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

What story would that be? The Legend of the Sixty-Two ?? :confused:

6. catking

catking Banned

JimmydaCat is always thinking :) Except this time he might be onto something!! DA KING !!!

7. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I could say DA KING is a walking encylopedia on all fishes and tactics, thus all we need. But I wont :rolleyes:

8. catking

catking Banned

Thanks.........I think :rolleyes: :rolleyes: DA KING !!!

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I agree. I knot that even I have asked things that have alreayd been answered before. The Cat guys see it alot from people asking about bait, line, rods, etc...

10. JBJ

JBJ

Something you might want to take into account is that new threads about old topics sometimes brings up new points. I have seen questions posted before at other sites where a link has been given in answer. Then the thread just kind of peters out. I realize it can be a pain to answer the same questions over and over, but sometimes the direct attention to a question can make a great new thread. It also can give a brand new member a sense of belonging to a friendly crowd. It is always a good idea to have the mindset that no question is stupid unless it goes un-asked. Just a thought from someone who has spent time on several forums. ;)

11. DaleM

Thanks JBJ, that's what we want, any input that will help this site grow even better. Keep your ideas coming everyone

12. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

I also agree JBJ. I'd just like to save all the typing I get into when I answer posted questions that have been asked dozens of times before. I would post the link for the main body of information but add anything that came to mind that seemed to the point of that individual question.

13. JBJ

JBJ

I agree completely. That "Quote" button comes in handy for grabbing info from one thread and bringing it over to another at times.

I noticed at outdoorsite.com that when the old salts of the site would just tell a new visitor "that question has already been covered in detail" and give a link, the newbies just kind of faded away sometimes. With so many sites available to the anglers these days it's a good idea to provide a little one on one whenever possible to give them that little bit of family atmosphere. At a site where I moderate, we always try to give a personal greeting to new folks posting for the first time. Works like a charm when they can feel like they are accepted as part of the gang right off the bat. I notice this is already in the works here. Not only the familiar faces but this familiar atmosphere has drawn me in already. It works, even on old codgers like me... :rolleyes:

14. DaleM

See JBJ, we got you too! now your ours forever :D ;) Any other ideas? let us know.