Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

TM speed varies dramatically

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by DrChip, Sep 20, 2005.

  1. Went out fishing this morning and started to have weird problems with my trolling motor. Part way through the day, when I put the motor on "2" (out of 5), it would run at a speed faster than if on "3" or "4" -- basically on "2" it ran like it was on "5."

    After a while, it would start this way, then after a few seconds kick back down to what should have been the "2" speed. By the end of the day, it was intermittent -- sometimes it got stuck on the "5" speed when on "2," sometimes it would work fine, and sometimes it would start fast then kick back down.

    Any ideas what the problem might be? Or how to fix it? The motor is only about a year old...

  2. LakeRaider

    LakeRaider EEEEEK!

    It would help if we knew the brand. Motorguide has had some board problems
    that there is a recall on. LakeRaider
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015

  3. Could it possibly have something to do with the override switch on the side that sets it at max speed nomatter what the dial says. Maybe this was stuck somewhere in the middle or the switch has a problem with it?

    Good Luck

  4. A two stroke will do this if the oil-gas mix is not thourough enough.
  5. LakeRaider: The motor is a Minn Kota All-Terrain bow mount, 12-volt, 55lb thrust (if I remember right), if that helps.

  6. LakeRaider

    LakeRaider EEEEEK!

    I,m no trolling mtr repair guy but I would start by spraying the contacs with contact cleaner and see what happens. Try a search and see if anything comes up , maybe a # for a state- local repair shop and talk to them.
    Anybody else got an idea? Raider
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  7. I would first start checking from the battery to see if the battery is still good and all the connections are snug and than go from there. I hope you don't leave you motor plugged in when you charge your battery. I left mine in by mistake when I went to Canada. Came back and had the problem to where the motor would run on high and than short out and run at slow speed. It drove me crazy for two weeks trying to figure out the short. It ended up being the PC board that had the maximiser in it. I ordered the part ($68) and put it in myself . There is not much too it. There is also a ,in my model, a pc board in the foot control. Your motor is not that old so like I said I would check the battery first . A bad battery or a bad connection can raise hell on electronics. I hope that helps.....JIM
  8. Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll check the battery, although I suspect that's not it since it didn't respond weirdly in any setting other than "2." I normally unplug the TM before trailering home from the lake, but I suppose there's an off chance I forgot at one point. I'll also try cleaning the contacts.

    Again, thanks for the input everyone.