Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of making a trolling board for my Wellcraft. It will have,to start with, 4 tite-loks . I bought the Tit-Lok Pro. All the different from the regular one and the pro is the pro has a spring loaded latch.

On the back it said not recommended using dippsy divers with them? Has anyone had a problem with their tite-loks using dippsy? And another one. Does tite-lok make a double rod holder? I have found the single one and the tripple one but not the double.

·
Defensor Fortis
4,374 Posts
I've been using dipsys in my tite loks for a few years now with no problems. I have never seen a double holder, sorry

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
I've been pulling Dipsys with mine for six years. No problems whatsoever. I upgraded the pins to the spring loaded ones early last year. They're fine with the Dipsys, as well.

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
15,942 Posts
i use flush and rail mounted rod holders on my boat most of the time. i do have 2 tite-lok bases mounted (one each side) on the transom that i use when we go to 8 rods pulling dipsys. just screw down the holder and good to go.

i did learn a costly lesson last year off vermilion. we were drifting harnesses and enjoying some sandwiches so i put my rod in the tite-lok. i saw the pole bounce, thought it was ok because of it being in the rod holder...wrong, it bounced again right into lake erie. later i figured out what i did wrong. i had the rod holder on the lowest setting (last hole). now i make sure the angle is the same as my flush mounts(3rd hole or higher). maybe thats what they mean about using with dipsys.

i know some members have purchased the 3 holder assembly and just removed the middle holder to make a double.

·
Defensor Fortis
4,374 Posts
I've been pulling Dipsys with mine for six years. No problems whatsoever. I upgraded the pins to the spring loaded ones early last year. They're fine with the Dipsys, as well.

Het, did you order the pins from Tite Lok or somewhere else? Them little boogers are expensive. I Found some on eBay once. They were a good price and I should have bought them then.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys makes me feel better spending $40.00 each for the singles and knowing the pin wont break pulling dipsys. lol

I seen they have the ones with the screw in pin for $35.00 and spring one for $40.00. The screw one looked like it would of been a pain to do when the boats rollin so for five bucks more I got the spring ones.
How much did they want for just the spring loaded pin Toxic? Over five?

Ezbite that had to suck. I'll keep that in mind. I think they are just covering their fanny in case one does brake they wont have to cover it. lol

·
Defensor Fortis
4,374 Posts
Chucky, it was over a year ago when I saw the conversion kit (just the spring pins) on eBay. Tite Lok didn't even have them on their web page at that time, so I was hesitant on buying them. If I remember correctly the eBay seller wanted 19.00 for 2. On the Tite Lok web page for the conversion kit, they want 30 bucks and some change for a 2 pack. I think that is a little steep for two of them. I set mine and forget about them. So it is not like I need to have them.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Het, did you order the pins from Tite Lok or somewhere else? Them little boogers are expensive. I Found some on eBay once. They were a good price and I should have bought them then.

I ordered them directly from Tite Lok. They were about $7 each. When I ordered them, the lady informed me that they don't recommend using the spring pins for pulling Dipsys. If you look at the setup, with the Dipsy in the holder, the pressure is actually perpendicular to the rod holder, so I don't see how there could be any trouble with them.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
I've used the spring pins w/ Dipsys for years. You need to be carefull and make sure the pin is fully engaged.

They're probably worried about someone pulling Dipsys with the holder pointing to the transum and the rod way up in the air (I've never seen anyone do that). Besides they'd still hold the Dipsy.

Not a durabilty issue that I've ever seen.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,457 Posts
I had them on my old boat I pulled dispey's no problem, can't beat tite loks for the money, the push/pull pins busted on us a couple times, keep a spare in the boat.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The tite-lok does for sure looks like a pretty beefy holder. If someone wanted to "tweak" the tite-lok, meaning improve it, what would you do to make it better if any? Just brain storming here. lol

I see what you are saying Jim about making sure the pin is in all the way. I seen when I adjusted the holder and set the pin it didn't seat all the way till I turned it just right. Then it snapped all the way in.

Toxic I'm with you on that. $30.00 for a couple of pins is crazy but $7.00 like Het said seems fare and I will buy a extra pack just in case.

I did find a double rod holder but it is made by Big-Jon and they want $118.00+tax for it. I can do just fine with 2 signals for $80.00 on each end. I wanted the double on the ends because it looked good. Like Toxic said, "it's not like I need them."

When I'm done with the trolling board I'll post a few pics so you see what I'm talking about. So far I'm happy with my newbie engineering skills. lol

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll be out Saturday out of the V maybe see/talk to you then.
Chuck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chucky,
I am not sure if you are still on the message boards since this post is old but we have introduced a new double seat mount called Add-a-Seat. It is dramatically different from Tite Lok as our pivots and unassembles easily. You can see a product video at shorelineprod.com. Thanks.

Todd Oliver
Add-a-Seat Rep

·
Fish against the fish...
1,110 Posts
We have two sets of the triples and four singles and LOVE them. Ours are screw pins - but would love to get the springs for convenience.

Never had trouble with pulling dipseys.... we set them low - but not in the bottom setting.

Can't wait to see your project.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts