Tire Chains

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by reel, Dec 6, 2008.

1. I would like to have an emergency set of strap on chains for my front wheel drive van. Anybody use this type.

It would be nice to drive into the field to help retrieve a deer or put on to get out of a snow drift. Maybe even launch the boat on a slippery ramp

Understand they are not allowed on Ohio roads ?

Attached Files:

• x.jpg
      x.jpg
      File size:
      17.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Oops this might be a problem"

ALWAYS CHECK DISC BRAKE CLEARANCE BEFORE USING STRAP ON TIRE CHAINS!!!!!

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

imo,save your money.i've tried those things and they are almost worthless.they are only good and reccomended helping pull out of certain situatons and very short(measured in feet) distances.not driving,or over 5 mph.they will usually slip and break free with any tire spin.

4. "It would be nice to drive into the field to help retrieve a deer or put on to get out of a snow drift. Maybe even launch the boat on a slippery ramp"

Four Wheel Drive!!!

5. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Chains ans studded tires are allowed, but only during certain times. There is a time frame that you can use studded tires in Ohio. As for chains, you can use them in bad situations such as ice etc. You cannot runs them on dry or cleared roads though.
    I actually had 2 sets of those for each rear tire a few years ago and they worked great to get me home when the roads turned to ice.

6. imalt

imalt Banned

when i lived in colorado and drove a truck through the mountains the tour buses used these straps that went around the tires looked almost like bungee cords with small metal inserts. They dont tear up the road as bad as chains and looked a lot easier to deal with then chains. Sorry i dont know what they are actually called, but you might be able to do a google search on snow driving equipment and find them.

7. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I use studded snow tires on my truck.
    Only one time last winter I almost got stuck. On the big curvy hill on Cable Line Rd at West Branch. It was a sheet of ice. I had to do the back up and gun it a couple of times but I made it up that hill.

8. Get u a regular set of chains,they last longer and go on just as easy with a little practice ;) Not sure how well they work on a fwd but will make a reg 2wd act like a 4wd!!!!