close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tips, tactics and techniques for stained water

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by GobyOneGnoby, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Hello,

Since the rivers are high, fast and stained, I figured I'd start a thread about fishing for Steelies in off prime conditions.

What techniques or tactics are successful?
    What bait or lures work best?
    How and where do you fish (pools, tail outs, banks, seams...)?

Thanks,
    GobyOne

2. For high stained water, i feel comfortable/confident with mostly live bait.....
    skein on a plain hook first, minnows on a plain hook second, then egg sacs or single eggs third, then jig/maggot last...

although any above will work, that is my list of progression down the live bait list....

As for where ?...my first choice is the smallest feeder creek you can find with some nice deep pools and banks to hold fish deep....

steely123

3. Dingo

Dingo

Live bait works best. Something smelly. Fresh spawn in a brighter colored bag or sacked powerbait.

I fish the 'resting areas' near, but outside of the main current. If you know the area that you are fishing, look for those with structure (like an undercut bank or dropoff) and some depth. These are often places where you would normally stand (wading) when the river is normal or low with clear water.

4. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

My usual plan when the riVers get this muddy,
    is to grab some Guinness and sit in the hot tub
    till the waters come back down a bit.... :p

5. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Took the words right out of my mouth creepiecrawler :eek: :eek: ;)

6. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

We have a Creeky sighting!

Where the hell have YOU been? You musta hit your head on a rock when you tried to roll or something. Haven't heard from you much in the last 6 months.

When the water is high, what else besides a guiness would you reccommend grabbing? :confused: :D

7. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Moved to steelhead talk.

8. Dirty water would be spawn if I chose to drift bait. For flies I would run either larger black buggers or bright colored streamers. Drifting egg flies i would run larger size patterns and bright colors also. The locations cahnge a bit too. Fish the slower waters just on the edge of the current.

Jeff

9. Two

Two

Would you use them bait sac floaters? And, yellow or red eggs?