Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
I use a cast net to get most of my bait as I fish with shad 90% of the time.
But, I like suckers and chubs in certain bodies of water because the local fish seem to like them a little better:D I use the most basic rig out there - hotdog on a small hook on my ultralight with 4lb test. I have found a few nice creeks by driving the country roads in the area (and a few from my childhood days) - just look for any pool in the creek and toss on a small piece of hotdog or bread. The chubs will tear it up. I've got a couple spots within 25 minutes I don't have to leave the road area to catch them.

You could always bowfish for the carp in the same creeks.

·
Wurlds Wurst Spellor
585 Posts
I wish I could find some small carp to target, but I haven't found any under the 2-3lb range. As for sucker and chubs, my girlfriend and I like to hit the creeks together and find it easy to get small gill, rockbass, chubs, shiners, and some suckers. As for shad I only get them with the castnet.

You may be able to do well with a seine(spelling?).

Rob

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
chubs are easy, hook and line is the best way. as for suckers you'll get alot more, faster, if you net them. small carp i dont know anywhere to catch good numbers of them, i've tried fishing for them and i can catch 12in fish and occasional 6in but no numbers anywhere

1 - 6 of 6 Posts