Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been fishing most of my life but it was almost always with my dad, who knew everything and had all the set ups. now I'm on my own and it would seem i didnt retain all the things i thought i have. I've been out about a dozen or so times this summer and have hardly any luck. mostly i fish for catfish but i would like to expand to Bass and Saugeyes. so my question is what type of gear would i need to target these, and tips or setting them up would be greatly appreciated.

also i fish mostly at buckeye lake but am able to travel if you guys think there are better places to fish.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Welcome to OGF. Dont get down, shoreline fishing in the summer is a little tough. You will do better from the shore in spring and fall when fish are more active and closer to the bank. Don't go out and buy a bunch of stuff you dont need. Some basic lead head jigs and tails to put on them like curly tail grubs will get you started. 2-3 inch tails with 1/16-1/8 oz jigs. Cast them out let them hit the bottom and slowly crank them in. You will catch fish and become a much better fishemen if you start this way. All other lures and techniques will be easy if you start with casting a jig. Talk to people on the shorline and ask for tips, but dont be the guy that will never leave someone elses spot once he see them catching fish. People will share more with you if they know you aren't there to steal their honey hole.

·
Registered
398 Posts
there are several canoe liveries and marinas that rent kayaks and canoes. great way to hit more water without investing in all the gear.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The Eyes come into the shallows the hunt at night. Tempt them with something flashy, like a night crawler on a worm harness with a spinner. (Wally World for a buck or two).
Rattle traps also work well but like to get hung-up.
The bass will come closer as the water cools off. A plastic worm in a dark green color with sparkles, slowly retrieved, works.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
A one-man wolfpack...
3,161 Posts
Fishing topwater Rapalas for bass in ponds is fairly simple but can be really exciting...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to OGF. Dont get down, shoreline fishing in the summer is a little tough. You will do better from the shore in spring and fall when fish are more active and closer to the bank. Don't go out and buy a bunch of stuff you dont need. Some basic lead head jigs and tails to put on them like curly tail grubs will get you started. 2-3 inch tails with 1/16-1/8 oz jigs. Cast them out let them hit the bottom and slowly crank them in. You will catch fish and become a much better fishemen if you start this way. All other lures and techniques will be easy if you start with casting a jig. Talk to people on the shorline and ask for tips, but dont be the guy that will never leave someone elses spot once he see them catching fish. People will share more with you if they know you aren't there to steal their honey hole.
thank you! what type of rod and reel would you recommend for this type of set up,( the few rods i have are medium-heavy actions)

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
average spinning rod setup for saugeye around here would be a medium weight rod with a fairly soft tip (fast action) spinning rod 6.5 to 7 ft long. 8-10lb line. I would use braided line but monofilament works ok too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi J,

I was in the exact same place as you about a month ago. I used to fish with my dad as a kid and recently became interested in going out on my own. I realized I didn't really know how to catch fish. You can see my similar post here: http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/showthread.php?t=237666.

The best advice I received was to try fishing in rivers. I did exactly that and have caught many bass and catfish in the last few weeks. Live worms on a basic bobber setup like you used as a kid almost always catch something. I've had good luck using floating or shallow diving Rapala lures which are very exciting to catch fish on.

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
thanks guys for all the tips, ive got a lot of new things to try out and hopefully ill post back with some pictures of nice catches. one more question, its been suggested to me to try river fishing, anyone know of a good river to fish that wouldn't be far from me? i live in the reynoldsburg area. also would the color of my line be a factor?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hi J,

I was in the exact same place as you about a month ago. I used to fish with my dad as a kid and recently became interested in going out on my own. I realized I didn't really know how to catch fish. You can see my similar post here: http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/showthread.php?t=237666.

The best advice I received was to try fishing in rivers. I did exactly that and have caught many bass and catfish in the last few weeks. Live worms on a basic bobber setup like you used as a kid almost always catch something. I've had good luck using floating or shallow diving Rapala lures which are very exciting to catch fish on.
I hear Darby is hot right now....

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hey guys here's an update! I'm out at buckeye now with a buddy and got a nice cat on shrimp in garlic. He was probably about 2-3lbs and my buddy just pulled in another one. The hunt is on!

just posted a picture of the little guy in my album, not too sure how to get the picture here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts