close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tip-ups

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by Reel Thing, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Thinking about getting a couple of tip ups Never used or owned 1
    Any advice on which ones and how to use them, do's and donts?
    Thanks
    Geowol
    George

2. geowol
    I sent you a message, check your mail.

3. Thanks Wormdunker sent you a email
    I just never thought about tip ups and I know even less about them. I know the little flag goes up when you get bit
    Seen the guys on Buckeye using them and doing pretty good this week
    Guess I just thought it would be too much like work running around from flag to flag
    I'm always used to sitting on my butt jigging but sounds like a good job for my boy
    Thanks again
    Geowol
    George

4. geowol--

I wouldn't hit the ice without my tip-ups. At the very least, it's merely statistical--more holes/baits equals more opportunities.

There are times when I don't catch fish on them--sometimes I don't even set them. However, 90% of the time they are equally or more effective than jigging alone. I have observed that jigging around my tip-ups increases the action of both holes. It seems that fish are called into my spread by jigging lures near the spread (like calling a buck to your stand with a call). On days when the fish are neutral to negative (often), the tip-ups give you the patient presentation that holding a rod doesn't always generate. If you fish two rods side by side, the "dead stick" will catch fish that your active rod does not (just like open water).

Besides, the more holes you drill, the better shape you're in come spring!

5. Bassy

Bassy Bass the other white meat

how do you guys rig your tip ups? bare hook and minnow? jig tipped with minnow head? I have some tip ups but never caught anything with them. any tips would be appericated.
    Bassy

6. Steelhauler --- Thanks for the link.
    Needed a few new tipups. :)

7. Thanks to everyone
    As always great information here on the OGF
    Happy New Year to all
    BRING ON SOME MORE ICE !!!!!!!!!
    Thanks
    Geowol

8. it depends on what i'm fishing for as to whether i bring tip-ups. these days i'd only bring them for pike or maybe trout. they've never worked well for me with walleyes because they take time to deal with and a lot of times i prefer to stay moving. they work for pike tho', and i've had luck with them for trout.

good luck

pik-n-fin

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015