tip-ups

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by nixmkt, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Planning on getting some tip-ups. Anyone used the plate type that cover the hole to keep from freezing? Worth the money?

2. I dont have that style of TU's, but the guys who do say they're nice for keepin hole from freezing, but somewhat bulky for storage/transportation.

I use a piece of old tire tubing froma large truck tire cut in a circle to cover my TU holes. It's lighter, cheap and works great.

3. tomb

tomb Tom B.

I use this tip up http://www.thornebros.com/winter/tipups/ht_tackle_polar_therm.html

My buddy has this one http://www.frabill.com/index.php?pa...&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=7

The frabill is more portable and much faster to set up. The HT has a larger disk, longer flag and spool rod. I like the longer flag for longer distance visibility. The extra couple inches on the spool shaft keeps the spool underwater so it can't freeze up. I just wish they were as quick and easy as Frabill's. You'll have to decide what features are important to you.

4. you can stack 5 or 6 in a 5 gallon bucket

5. i have both styles but have yet to catch anything on them but a couple gills...used them often at first but now they usually sit in the sled...cant seem to leave home without them though!

6. tomb

tomb Tom B.

WW: I've taken lots of crappie and walleye on them at mosquito and crappie at LaDue. Tip ups really shine for bass w/ large shiners. I've been trying for pike a few places, but haven't managed any yet.

7. peon

peon account delete

i have used the ht ones.. and when i sold my old shanty i gave them to the buyer.. i hated them things... the wind set them off really easy.. i will never use that tip up again or recommend them.... i now use a homemade tip up that the wind can never set off ... only the weight of a fish can set my tip ups off... i don't do well with tip ups but im not running flags all day because of the wind.. and the wind is everywhere so .... i might have been doing something wrong...???

8. tomb

tomb Tom B.

[​IMG]

Setup this way they do trip occasionally on the light setting, seldom if ever on the heavy setting. They can be used in any wind set up this way.

9. we have been through a bunch of them. the 5 dollar ones with the freespool on the bottom catch the most fish. take the time to find the orange ones. easy to see. we fish buckeye all winter creek chubs are the ticket. we use size 4 lazer sharp hooks and bb size split shot. i.ll be cutting some pieces of rubber for the holes thanks ice bucket john great idea. they are the tip ups that form a cross when set up. the line flows off with the least resistance of all we have tried. the funniest were the ones that were supposed to pop up when a fish hit, they went off like a bottle rocket, laying in pieces all over the ice what a laugh.