close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

tip-up tactics

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by hardwaterfan, Sep 19, 2005.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

well, it wasnt easy learning how to do it just by reading. seems like its something thats easier if you can see it done, but now i have it and i am ready. i will be setting out tip-ups for the first time this coming winter. i will be spooling up with a heavy black dacron line. i will tie a barrel swivel on, then a flurocarbon leader about 3 or 4' long and then rig my livebait at the end of the leader. i will set my tip ups in a variety of break depths, to try to locate feeding fish.

if anyone wants to give any pointers or advice, i would like to hear what you have to say.

i would like to know if you usually gut hook the fish with tip ups as i am mostly a c/r fisherman and would like to avoid that.

i cant wait to give it a shot. :D

2. peon

peon account delete

in the two years if used tip ups iv landed probally 5 bass (only bass i'v got on ice) and never gut hooked one... most people figure the depth they want to set the bait and tie a piece of a rubberband on the line to make sure when they rest the line that it is at the depth they had it before...iv never had good tip ups till this year.. this old guy that my dad knows had a bunch of diffrent raffels and my dad won two raffels and got me 4 tip ups this old guy makes.. very nice.. ill take pics of it tomarrow when i take pics of my sled im making .. so you can make your own if you want to .. i know you had a post about making your own before..... remember tip ups have to have your name and address or something like that... i had some dog tags like you put or a dog collar made with my address on it... fleamarkets have em for a buck a piece... iv also got the black tip up line on some old tip ups and it works fine with a leader.. sounds like a good strategy.. keep close to the bank if you are going for bass.. and farther out for catfish... we have never got catfish on tip ups with liver though!! i catch em on my poles with a blue glo in the dark jig with a wax worm... thats why im buying blue glo powder for my jigs :D

this is a pic of my biggest ice cat.. 3# sure was a blast...[​IMG]

p.s. someone was wanting a pic of rod holders... the ones i made are in this pic.... and they work great and will use them for ever.. and was made and painted with old scrap wood and paint !!!

3. In 10 years, I have used Tip ups, I have caught hundereds of bass, crappie, cats, pike perch, ,etc... I have never gut hooked a fish, even after a hundered yard dash, which takes a good bit of time, and who knows how long the flag was up before I noticed, I still have never gut hooked a fish. Go figure. Best of luck to you this season HWF. I find pond fishin, real good for tipups and bass if you have a good pond to hit this winter. I hit one last year, where I could not even get my gill poles in the water, I was setting the 3rd tipup and the 1st one went off, for the next 2 hours all I did was run from one side of the pond to the other, caught 10 bass, missed 6 others, what a blast when you have action like that! All C/R that day.

4. peon

peon account delete

here's the pics of the tipup's i got.. they come unpainted i painted them brown and need to get some more orange paint for the flag... hope this pics can help someone design their own... i can also get more if someone wants some...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Never seen anything like those tip ups before. Let me know how they work for you this year.

6. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

Very innovative tip-ups! Yankee ingenuity in action. Looks like the "flag" is a counterweight for the bait/terminal tackle.

7. peon

peon account delete

all the guys i fish with use these that this old guy makes are they are great ...!!!!!

8. hardwaterfan

guys, i appreciate you sharing your know-how. im really looking forward to giving it a try. good to hear that tip ups dont always gut hook fish. what ive read made it seem like that was the case and i was kinda bummed about it.

today i wrote my name and adress on my flags with a permanent marker. (not sure if that was a good idea or not) made a name tag for the shanty, never quite got around to doing that last year, and i got some plumbing supplies to make my rod holders for the lip of my shanty tub. im not done but i think im onto something (small and cheap :) )that will work really well for me.

9. peon

peon account delete

WHY CANT IT BE FEB.?????
    man i want to ice fish SO bad ... lol

10. Earliest I was ever on ice in central Ohio was December 31st, fished a pond with 2.5 inches of ice, clear and hard, never had a problem. Little scary though, not sure I would do that again, a little younger back then. I think it was 1995. Caught a lot of fish. Let hope we get a solid winter! Come on Cold weather!

11. hardwaterfan

not last year but the year before mogadore at clr had about 2.5-3 on Dec. 23 or so. i caught some nice gills that day.

ice is a very strange thing.

i hope we have a nice dry, cold winter this year.

clear, bitter cold, still nights.....keep your fingers crossed guys! :)

12. peon

peon account delete

i always start on about 3 inches of ice and dont get it till about feb...