close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Time Warner Cable question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by KSUFLASH, Jul 6, 2004.

1. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

Hey guys, I have a question about cable in general. I use Time Warner as my provider. I have one of those fancy digital cable boxes that give me well over 300 channels, and when I want to watch something, it seems there is nothing on. How ironic is that....anyways, I am going to be putting in a flat screen t.v. in the bedroom. Before I go out and spend the money on the t.v. and the 50 ft. of coax cable, what I wanted to know is if there is a need for another cable box in the bedroom, or can I just use a splitter and run the new line off that. If my memory serves me correct, in the past you could split the cable this way and get all the channels on the second t.v. that your first t.v. got. If I am thinking correctly now, if I split it this way, I will only get the basic service channels instead all of the other hundreds of channels of nothing on.

If anyone has any suggestions or alternatives, please feel free to post them here or PM me with the info. I plan on doing this sometime this week.

On a side note, does anyone know where I might find a deal on a flat screen t.v. I have gone to the chain stores in the area, and all the prices are about the same. I am not looking for a huge one, just a small one for the bedroom. I already have a 50" big screen in the living room, but now I would really like to watch American Choppers, and the World Poker tour while I lay on my new $1000 Serta Mattress.

thanks in advance,

flash-------------------------------------------out

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Splitting it (without an additional box) should only get you the basic/movie chans...no PPV, and depending on the TV, no movie chans. No music choice either. Basically, you won't see any of the extra digital channels.

3. Dingo

Dingo

If you're floorplan is wide open enough where you can operate the cable box via remote from both rooms (you will want to try it first), you can split the lines after the single cable box, keeping in mind that both televisions will get the same single channel.

A split before the cable box will provide one line with all channels (digital+music+PPV) and the other will only receive the analog (channels 1-69 or so) feed. This is typically done to use a recording device (VCR, DVR) utilizing a schedule where more than one channel is being recorded, since the output of the digital box is a single channel, where the analog end has all non-digital channels. Recording premium requires a second digital box -or- a "VCR commander" type add-on that syncs the cable box channel with the recording device channel -or- an integrated solution (cable box+DVR).

Television source? Internet. I picked up a 32" LCD HDTV for over 30% off of the "best deal" in town. Plus free shipping, no tax. I bought my last one from 'etronics.com' out of New York.

4. When can I move in? $1000 dollar mattress 50 inch BIG SCREEN TV. Must be nice, I still enjoy my sleeping bag and 13inch black and white that my great grampa left for me. Let me know I'll help set up the SECOND BIG SCREEN in the bedroom. Just clowning around, good luck on the cable thing.

5. MLAROSA

MLAROSA Loving Life

You can get another box from Time Warner. If you notic eon your bill they charge you like $5 a month per box. just call them and ask for another one.

Someone sleeping on a $1,000 matress shouldn't care about an extra $5 a month. :D

6. KSUFLASH

I guess college pays off. I looked at my bill and noticed the $5 charge. Instead of splicing and riggin it, I will just spend 5 bucks. Thanks to all for the input. Thanks to Dingo for the etronics.com link. Think I will be buying from there.

flash------------------------------out

7. honestly i would have the extra line ran by warner.depending on the amount of signal you have going to the digital box now, you will have problems if you split off it there .i would recommend if you are going to do it yourself, to run the line all the way to the main splitter.also it`s a good idea to buy the line from warner($0.10 a ft.) and get a 1gig splitter from them also.don`t use the stuff fron radio shack or wal-mart it`s fine for analog but no where near good enough for digital.if you have you internet thru them make sure you dont put the line before the data outlet.i work for warner(installer) so i do know alittle about this. lol any more questions give me a call 419-678-0036

Bub

8. Dingo

Dingo

Glad I could help. Good service, communication, and shipping from that site. The set that I bought from them wasn't even available around here at that time.

I've sent a few folks that way -- too bad I couldn't get some commission.

9. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

Yep we got both sides covered... Bubba is an installer and I do sales/cust serv so I think we have most of the ?s answered. Both of us work for the Western Ohio division so I personally dont know much about the Columbus or Cincinatti Markets. :)

10. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Get Direct TV! I used to be a Warner/Akron cable installer and am familiar with anything you need to know. I am a DTV installer now.

When you campare the 2 (cable vs DTV), there is no comparison. DTV is better picture quality hands down, and you get more channels for a lot less money. If your system is installed correctly, weather is NOT a factor. If those were the only 2 TVs, you could get 135 all digital channels for less than 40.00 a month. Cable is up over 70 bucks for a similar package.

PM me if you are interested. I could get you the OGF discount since I work for them! I can save you 40 bucks or more if you go through me. Same goes for anyone else. Give me a PM.

11. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

like stated before you would need the 2nd box. Mine is split about 50 times i think got over 6 tv sets in this house and the kids still want to watch cartoons on the main tv in the living room go figure. All I know is Iam about sick of paying almost $100 a month for cable and roadrunner. but what ya going to do i need my road runner and speed channel and fishing channels.

12. IMHO, Time-Warner digital cable blows away DirecTV, and I've had both. The DirecTV and Dish Network commercials brag about their signals being 100% digital, but here's a little secret; they get their programming from the same ANALOG satellites that the cable companies do and convert the analog signals to digital. With digital cable, you can access "On Demand" movies, HBO, Showtime, and many other programs. You control the on demand program just as if you were watching it on a VCR...pause, rewind, etc.

You can also negotiate lower prices with Time-Warner. Call 'em up and tell 'em you're going to switch to DirecTV or Dish Network unless they can come up with better pricing, and they'll lower your rate. You can also do the same thing with RoadRunner. Ask 'em if they can lower their rate because you're thinking of switching to DSL which is only $26.95 per month. They'll probably give you RoadRunner for $29.95 per month. Enjoy!

Scott

13. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

no what you mean on the negotiating i do it with them especially if i have any RR problems. tell them to knock some off the price for down time. and they always do.

14. AndroDoug

Goin' fishin'... You are incorrect! The satellite signal your dish gets is 100% digital. Warner gets the same digital signal as well. They then convert it into ANALOG signals to travel over the hard lines you see going up and down every street. The "digital" cable boxes then convert that analog information back into a "digital" picture on your TV. This extra conversion step loses about 10-20% of your picture quality. TW "digital" cable is not true digital, but is better than your standard analog cable.

However, the ONE HUNDRED PERCENT DIGITAL signal your DTV dish and receiver receives, offers unparalleled picture and sound quality. It is equal to a DVD. The signal from the DTV satellite is both a 13v and 18v left and right-handed polarity digital signal. NOT AN ANALOG SIGNAL!!!!!!! DTVs main programming is beamed down from Echostar 2 (I believe, or maybe ES 3), which is commonly referred to as the 101. The 2 Dish Net satellites are the 110 and 119. They are ES 4 and 5. Time Warner gets it's programming off of different satellites offering the same programming.

Case closed. Time to "upgrade" your misinformation banks. :rolleyes: ;)

15. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Andro, relax man. He didn't come across as arguementative at all.

If you all knew the tech support I had to give a certain OGF member/TimeWarner employee last night to get his CABLE MODEM working, you would think twice about TW :D :D :D I will not say who this person is...but for our purposes, we will refer to him "Mr. Z" :D

16. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Hey guys,

Let's not get heated over tv signal's, it's not football season yet. :)

thanks,
    Kim

17. AndroDoug

Sorry fellas! :)

I just got all bunched up for a second when someone tried to "correct and inform" me about something that was absolutely incorrect. Little secret or not.

No hard feelings! :D

18. KSUFLASH

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!

I fixed everyones problems, I bought another cable box from TWC, and a sattelite dish from the Dish Network. Problem solved...haha...j/k.

flash-----------------------------------out

19. AndroDoug, it is my understanding that DirecTV receives the signals it broadcasts from the same C and Ku band analog satellites that the cable companies receive their signals from. DirecTV then converts the analog signal to digital at their uplink center in Colorado and then uplinks the digital signal to their satellites which then broadcast the signal to customer's 18" dish.

I copy and pasted this from the following site:

http://www.mail-archive.com/market_text@mediabiz.com/msg00133.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: DirecTV and Viacom Burn Midnight Oil, Ink Deal (pls forward)
    Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 14:45:12 -0800

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    MarketClose - January 07, 2004
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

TOP STORY - Viacom and DirecTV announced an agreement that secures
    continued carriage of BET and MTV Networks' programming on the
    satellite TV service. The deal also provides for CBS analog
    broadcasts as well as CBS's high-def Super Bowl coverage and its
    HDTV lineup in owned-and-operated markets. DirecTV also will
    continue to carry UPN analog broadcasts.

Please note that DirecTV agreed to carry ANALOG broadcasts. Many stations that both DirecTV, Dish, and cable companies carry are simply not available in digital, yet.

Here's a paragraph that I copy and pasted from the following web site:

http://www.ubta-ubet.com/ubtv.php?ubtvmenu=aboutUbtv

DIRECTV programming originates from the Castle Rock Broadcasting Center in Castle Rock, Colorado, the world's first all-digital broadcast facility, where sophisticated equipment converts standard analog programming into digital signals. These signals are uplinked to three high-power DIRECTV satellites, located approximately 22,300 miles above the equator. The satellites, in turn, retransmit the signals back to earth using a beam that covers the entire continental United States

I didn't mean to upset you, AndroDoug. I'm simply trying to clear up some misconceptions regarding cable and satellite broadcasting. Peace.

Scott

20. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

Shake yes I did have a problem.. I am not an installer I do the cust service side and I can trouble shoot certain modem problems by phone. However on this case I could get the cable to work through the computer my router was another issue. :D I had to call Linksys to get it back up and running... Now I know how to fix it.. But there are guys (tier 2 and tier 3) who do the main trouble shooting for those issues but neither one can help with routers unless we supply them.... On that note I would also like to mention that for anyone who has roadrunner and wants a wireless system email me or send me a pm because it may not always be the best suggestion as in my case was. :)

On a side note I have had the big satelites, direct tv and time warner.. They all are going to have their + and - things about them as with any company it just depends what you want and need and which budget fits better. Just like cell phone companies which now the technical things on that I can write pages and bore you all to death :D