Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is time to put a coat on the outside of my boat, I have a 14 ft aluminum Mirro Craft 1983 with a new 2005 25 hp Honda. Engine shines so no need to paint that.
However, I need painting the bottom I was thinking of first with a Rust-Oleum Metal Primer followed by just Rust-Oleum white paint.

The problem there is about 10 different kinds of paint and primer, latex, oil and others I don’t know which one is the best for painting a Aluminum boat or to stay away from.
Any help would greatly appreciated I will try and do some before and after shots. Is there a special kind or thickness brush to use as well, and for the painting the trailer do I have to do anything different?
Thank you,
LP

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
i have painted my 12' alum. twice...once 5 yrs ago and again this past winter with great results...you are on the right track, first pressure wash,then rough it up(sandpaper,scotch bright etc) 2 coats oil based rustoleum primer,2 coats of rustoleum whatever color(light sanding between coats to help adhesion)(i used hunter green) have had zero peeling/flaking on mine(oh yea-i sprayed mine with automotive spray gun after just slightly thinning the paint)
as far as the trailer i wire brushed it and went straight to black rustoleum,didnt need to prime mine since it wasnt bad at all to begin with( i brushed the trailer and bought a can of spray for hard to reach ereas)
for the interior i used 5 cans of "trunk splatter paint" in grey from autozone,looks great and is holding up way better than i thought it would

pm me with ??? if ya like and good luck! your boat will look new when done for less than $100!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sherwin Williams has a line of Industrial Coatings, no primer is needed if you use the alkd (oil base) hs enamel. I know it's not recommended but trust me i've been working there for almost a year now and it will hold up. They use this stuff on airport hangers and whatnot. Only downside is it takes almost a full day to cure and it's not avaliable in quarts. I painted my boat about 5 months ago and it still doesn't have a single scratch

1 - 3 of 3 Posts