close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tilt/Trim Motor

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Bluegrass Boy, Jul 22, 2008.

1. I was out last night and when I came in, my trim/tilt motor quit working.

I have an '86 4 winns with a Mercruiser 170 I/O. When I hit the trim tab or the trailor button, there is no noise whatsoever. The reservoir is full, the motor itself does nothing.

I am hoping its just the fuse, but, I couldn't find the fuse by the motor. Can anyone tell me where the fuse might be? Also, what could it be if its not the fuse or a loose connection?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. should be right by the pump.....

3. find that fuse ,it could be any where follow the wires , even if it looks good clean the connections , they get oxidized. then the batt connection. I:LL bet on the fuse being corroded. there also should be two relays BUT ,it would be a freak thing for both to go out at the same time , sounds more of a no power problem . keep it simple .then look for harder things .

4. I am having the same problem BUT.... I have a 1998 Mercury-Mariner and it seems that when i hit the pump motor it will work fine then all of a sudden it will quit. Could it be the tilt/trim motor is locking up, has a short in it. I can't seem to find out exactly what it is and have been trying to fix it for the last couple days but no luck anyone have any ideas, Thanks Guys

5. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

Most tilt/trim issues are do to a corroded connection somewhere in the line. A service manual will give you a wiring diagram to trace it down.