close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tilt/Trim fluid change

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by ShakeDown, Feb 4, 2005.

1. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I've got a 97 150hp Johnson Faststrike, and need to check the fluid level on the power trim (the symptoms I'm experiencing, noisy/slow point to low fluid or air in the unit). Anyone ever do this? I guess I'm wondering what to expect.

TIA!

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Sorry Shake, sorta forgot about this. I'll try to remember to contract Chirs as soon as I can.

3. ShakeDown

Thanks man...I'm hoping to give it a shot on Sunday. Got plans? Beers are on me :D

4. DaleM

All depends on how things are going and what happens with Jody's mom. If I can I'll be glad to come over. I'll let you know.

5. ShakeDown

Thanks man. Family first of course!

6. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

Hey shake, I have added fluid to my johnson 50. All I had to do was remove the screw by the cylindar and put some in. I found that if you lower your trailer jack as low as you can it will raise up the back end of the boat making it easier to fill without much loss. You will get air in it but by raising the motor up and down a few times it seems to get out. Also mine always makes noises and doesn't operate as smooth when it is below freezing or close to. My manual said that is all i had to do and so far so good. If you have to keep putting fluid in then you have a bad seal, been there. I don't know your larger motor may be different. Good luck.

7. ShakeDown

Marshall, are you raising/lowering the unit with the screw removed I assume? THANKS!

8. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Don't raise or lower the motor with the screw removed or you will end up low on fluid.Raise it up, remove screw and top off fuild. Replace screw raise lower a few times check level again. Trims to tend to make a little more noise than normal in cold weather. Good luck

9. ShakeDown

sweet! thanks for the heads up!

10. DaleM

Sahke:
    Normally you raise the motor to as high as you can get it. This relieves the pressure on the hydrolics. When you get there, remove the screw and check the fluid level. Chris said you do not have to change the fluid, unless it's real dirty.

11. ShakeDown

Well, this is nuts...I "filled it" I guess. The plug is on the side of the "tank", not on the top...the second you pull it fluid comes gushin out. I did my best to juice it up and get the cap on as quick as possible. It does seem to have helped (not 100%, but a huge improvement), but hell if I know if I got enough in there. Was pretty sketchy.

12. DaleM

We'll check it before we head out Shake.

13. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

Thats why I crank my jack at the front of the trailer all the way down to raise the back end. I know what you mean about fluid coming out. Screw has to be in when raising up and down, don't know how air gets out but it does. You know its like filling a cup of water with the cup on its side, kinda screwed up situation huh.

14. ShakeDown

Totally Marshall. I cranked mine down too, and the kinda helped I guess. If I could flip the boat on it's side I'd be GOLDEN :D

15. Hey Shake- I ran out of time the other night to respond but was going to tell you - DONT DO IT! :)

I had a 96 evinrude with same tilttrim system as yours - same noises- but it never affected perfoirmance- its in their nature for those models!!! Its generally air in the system.

I did the same exact as you when I "added" fluid - the result was more air into the system and more noises!!!

Do check your tilt/ trim relays on that particular engine - if they are the originals they very well were of the "bad batch" that OMC had produced.Surprising if they made it this long. They eventually had another manufactuer make them and resolved the problem.

I went through appx 6 relays before the new came out. I may still have some in the garage. I you want em pm your address- freebies!!!

Good luck - its goona gurgle now!!! Pay it no mind and keep it to the floor!!!

Nip
    www.dobass.com

16. ShakeDown

Nip...It's actually not as noisey as it was anymore (still isn't perfect though) and the trimming up speed is where it should be (much better). Really doesn't make any sense to me, as I had to have lost more fluid during the "cap transfer" than I gained.

I'll totally take you up on the offer for the relays! Thanks man.

PM Sent!