tiller vs cockpit

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by smallie, Oct 6, 2007.

1. smallie

smallie smallmouth icon

i will be in the market shortly for a boat. it will be aluminum 18 ft deep v with a 70-90 mercury 4 stroke. my question is, how much of a price difference is there between a tiller and a cockpit with a steering wheel?

2. u might want to call a dealer. they have helped me out when i had questions.

3. I don't think they make tiller motors in that high of a horsepower. If they do I would imagine it would be pretty tough to control.

4. They make tillers up to 90 horse and beyond, and they are not hard to control, they have a sort of power steering to them.

Rich

5. I wouldn't consider a tiller boat in that size range if most of your fishing will be on Lake Erie. Your sight picture is limited by the bow, especially duing rough water conditions which Erie is famous for. Tiller in that size range is OK for mostly inland lakes nut I would opt for at least a single console as you don't lose that much room in that configuration.

6. Consider where you want to fish and how early/late in the year you want to fish. Getting wave splash/wet on 60 degree days is no fun. Fishable....but no fun.

If Erie is going to be your primary lake, I would suggest full windshield/walk thru with cockpit and steering. Do your homework and you'll enjoy fishing more.

My 16' rig is a side console with very small shield....no protection from weather. Not good for Erie.

Good luck.

7. Get some good raingear for Erie-some one-time-use Kmart ponchos for your mates. Keep them in the boat. I have a 20 ft., very deep, walk-thru and if you hit the waves wrong(which is most of the time) you will get wet anyway. Shortdrift's comment about the view is quite important though.

8. Seaturd

Seaturd Catcher of Fish

As the owner of a 16' tiller Lund with a 25 hp I've found that getting wet is the primary problem with view being secondary. I don't have that much problem seeing under conditions I fish (3' or less waves) but getting wet is standard issue. And that little 25 hp Johnson puts a lot of torque on arm when you're making a long run on any lake. I generally prop my leg up and use it to help "lock" the tiller in place when I'm on a long haul. My next boat will hopefully be a walk-thru.