close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tiffin-Sandusky River 6/23

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by cheezemm2, Jun 27, 2007.

1. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

Went out and tried to drum up some smallies.....

Fishing was pretty slow and I picked up a couple smallies and a channel cat on white grubs. Far cry from my 10+ fish days there in the past month. Still nice to get out and an absolutely beautiful morning.

Side Note:
    Met some nice gentleman who were drift fishing some minnows and asked where I live...told them Akron and we got to talking about fishing...

They then inquired about the steelhead run and whether or not it was worth fishing.:D I told them of people and 20 fish days and they looked at me like I was nuts. They had made the trip over and hadn't done too well, but I offered up OGF for them to get some info. Hopefully if you guys see this, some of the veteran steelheaders can elaborate more on what I was telling you about.

2. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

I'll be happy to help if I see that they post, Tiffin is the town I grew up in. I didn't fish much as a kid but I was always down by Heidelberg catching creyfish in Rock Creek.

3. The water very low and warm here in tiffin. We should get some rain tonight, that will help alot.

4. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

I have been thinking of doing a float on the Sandusky from north of Upper Sandusky to the south edge of Tiffin. Is this a good stretch of river for smallies. Any good/easy put-ins and take-outs.

CG

5. I've never heard of a 20 fish steelhead day. Quit lying :)

6. I have canoed the Sandusky from Indian Mill to Wolf Creek Park.
    If you decide to do Wyandot Co., be CAREFUL. With water up at all, it is a nightmare. Mostly from Rt 103 to Tymochtee. Logjams there are pretty regular, and big. Several places you have to get out. I got flipped in one - current was just too strong and banks too high to get out in one piece - took 45 minutes to get out of the water. :C Only made it from Indian Mill to Tymochtee in about 6 hours.
    Putting in at Mexico makes a lot more sense. There to Tiffin is pretty harmless.
    As for the fishing, it can be decent all through Wyandot, perhaps not as good as north of Tiffin, but you can do just fine. Of course the mouth Honey Creek isnt a bad spot either. Although these days, I imagine its too dry.