close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tick Warning

Discussion in 'Backpacking, Hiking, and Trekking' started by cheezemm2, Jun 6, 2017.

1. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

Well, all this backpack talk got me out for a 10 mile day hike in tar hollow state park this past Sunday. I had some weaker OFF on with a low % of DEET, but did have a very, very small tick (likely deer tick) that was starting to embed just above my hiking socks. Wife had one crawling on the base of her neck, and dog had 2 visible crawling on him and one this morning that was dead from biting him (he's treated for them). It's supposed to be bad this year with the mild winter and if the mosquitoes and ticks on this hike were any indication, I believe it!

2. I know there bad down here in Tennessee. went fishing in a pond and had to walk through a section of woods. found 9 ticks on me and got 5 that had bit me and dug in. flushed them down the toilet. wasn't using any repellent to keep them off.
    sherman

3. I invented a product that works great. You spray it all over your friends before heading out. It's called ON. :rolleyes::p

Bprice1031 likes this.
  4. YAK_THE_FLIPPER

YAK_THE_FLIPPER Just South of Cincinnati

I have pulled off two this year already. One was so very tiny I really had to examine it closely to even recognize it as a tick. I hate wearing insect repellent, but I might start. I don't want to end up with a disease from a tick bite. The diseases that ticks carry appear to be getting more widespread and more severe. I know a person in Southern Ohio that became ill after a tick bite. His doctor recommended he no longer eat beef or pork.
    I googled this condition and found this- Bites from certain ticks, such as the lone star tick in the US, which can transfer this carbohydrate to the victim have been implicated in the development of this delayed allergic response which is triggered by the consumption of mammalian meat products.