close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tick Removal

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by flyman01, Apr 21, 2017.

1. I have seen many different ways, some that were posted on this forum but this one is new to me and seems very effective. May have to get a bottle of peppermint oil just in case.

E- man, cane pole and Snakecharmer like this.
  2. that's an awesome video. I'm going to start looking for some peppermint oil. thanks for sharing.
    sherman

flyman01 likes this.

3. That looks like a great way to get rid of them plus you can use the oil for baking or something.

flyman01 likes this.
  4. Hmmm interesting!
    Buddy of mine swears by the use of pure peppermint oil on cotton balls to keep mice away as well.

5. I've always just pulled the buggers off..

ezbite likes this.
  6. AtticaFish

AtticaFish Jiggin Freak

NO! I saw this on facebook also and wanted to scream but doubt the person who posted it would have listened. If ticks get irritated by something, they will spit into you when they pull out and can spread whatever disease they may have. At least that is what i have always heard.

Doctors will grab them by the head with tweezers and do a quick pull to get them out. They are used to their body getting moved around so just have to get the tweezers on their head and as close to the skin as possible and make the pull quick, That is how i do it. I have seen a couple tools to do this as well.

7. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

i just pull them off also. my dog had 3 on his belly Tuesday when I checked him. one was pretty plumped up I just pinched it between my forefinger and thumb nail as close to the skin as I could get, gave a quick yank and off it came, I checked close and it was all off. I did the same to the other 2 and pop they were off too. I usually look about every 2 weeks or so, looks like i'm going to have to check more often. I hope its not going to be a bad year for them.

8. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman On the back 9 and loving it!

Yes, you can pull them off as long as don't leave any of the mouth parts in you, or your dog, etc. And it is looking like a bad year for them, at least up here. My buddy was fixing a fence post at his horse pasture near where a couple of apple trees grow just outside the fence. He was in there 30 minutes, maybe 40 minutes max.

He came out of there with 8 ticks on him! That he found! The next morning he found one embedded below his left nipple and another on his pillow! YUUUUGGGHHHHH!!!

9. 9Left

9Left

I dont think it has to do so much with "peppermint "oil ...anything you smear over them that will block their air supply and they start suffocating, they back out immediately

fastwater likes this.
  10. Ya I was bank fishing a couple hours last week an pulled 7 total off of me. Lol when I feel them crawling on me I freak out thinking there a spider and quickly pull them off. I've gottenlucky so far no left over tick head in my skins:)

11. Yep! Years ago they used to use motor oil on farm dogs that used to run the fields. Knew a few hunters that had dogs that did the same.

Far as a bad year for ticks...I think it's gonna be extremely bad this summer.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Saugeye Tom and sherman51 like this.
  12. The oil trick works as do other methods. I've used tweezers heated slightly with a match or lighter, pinch the body of the tick, they let go real quick and have never had any adverse reaction to the bite. If the tick is located in an un-reachable place, it helps to have another pair of "steady" hands to assist.

13. Nightcrawler666

Nightcrawler666 Fish, Fish, Fish

I can't believe I haven't found any on myself yet. Keep hearing how bad it is. I work outside, all day, everyday. Ditches, brush, weeds...havent found one yet. Every time the wind blows and a hair moves I feel like they're crawling on me. Employer gives us all tick keys since we're so susceptible. Hope my streak continues. Hate those things!

Ruminator likes this.
  14. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman On the back 9 and loving it!

I know the feeling! While hunting morels last year, I felt one crawling across the back of my neck. I got it, but those things give me the heebie-jeebies!

And what gives here? When I was a kid (I'm 64), if we picked up 3-4 ticks in an entire Spring, Summer, and Fall, that was considered a bad tick year! Now it's 3-4 ticks a day if not per hour!

Ruminator and Saugeyefisher like this.
  15. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

I will be wearing panty hose when I go turkey hunting next week. the question is.... is it to keep the ticks off or for my pleasure??:eek:

16. AtticaFish

AtticaFish Jiggin Freak

We planted the rest of our bare root trees in our field today. I pulled 4 crawling off me and my wife pulled one off. She went and took a shower afterwards and there was another crawling up the shower curtain! We should have sprayed at least OFF on us, never gave it a thought.

Ruminator likes this.
  17. Yep I always spray off on me I get them on me all the time in the woods

Ruminator likes this.
  18. I had a tick in my belly button long time ago in wyoming. I thought some pine needles under a shady pine tree would be a good spot to sit for lunch. It was hot, I was doing geological mapping. Bad idea. They came crawling up! I thought I shook good enough, thought I checked good enough, yet somehow the next day I found one in my belly button. Me or somebody brought it back to the cabin.

We tried sunscreen, hot matches, who knows what else. Eventually the ranch owner just pulled it out. I did however have to continue mapping the rest the day before going back to the ranch.

19. I wonder if making some peppermint tea and spraying yourself would keep them off? In that case I might just spray my clothes with peppermint tea before fishing at Pymi. I have gotten one crawling on me after sitting on the causeway! Felt it crawling on me by the time we were coming down the rte 6 by the Inn bar and cr 33. Not a fun feeling driving and peeling them off!