close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thunderstorm and fishing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by RWBlue, May 11, 2005.

1. :confused:
    I am a total Newbie, so here is my dumb question for the day.

We are having thunderstorms tonight. How will this affect my fishing tomorrow?

2. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

The best thing about tomorrow will the the wind and clouds.
    Lightning can turn fish off as a front goes by but it doesn't last
    long.

3. I have had my best fishing right before a lightning storm and I WOULD NOT advise it but during too... The only thing about after is what caused the storm and this one was caused by a cold front which will make the fishing harder then it was before the storm... Cold fronts = get other things done ;)

4. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

I use to think to same way Clyde but something different is going
    on this year. With as many cold fronts as we've had this spring its
    been like you have no choice but to fish after one and I have been having some fine days on that old north wind and blue bird skies. :D
    And besides we all know fishing in the rain beats cutting grass in the sun. :D

5. Rules are made to be broken ...
    It has been a screwed up spring and I only had the onetime to fish this year during a T-storm and it acted as others in the past with great fishing prior bad after...
    During normal times I have had good fishing 3rd day after a steady 3 days of the same weather pattern be it whatever...

6. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

The best time to go fishing is when you can. I've caught fish before and during storms. We are going to find out about storms cause we are in for some goofy weather and I'm not waiting around anymore. :G :F

7. Years back when I used to bass fish alot I had my best day ever during a thunder strom!!Like others have said it is not a smart thing to do,but noone ever said I was smart :)

8. Everybody was catching crappie at a good rate last night @ Kiser Lake during the pouring rain and lightning.

I'll fish any time - doesn't matter to me. I do change my presentation and location depending on weather conditions. I've had mixed results after cold fronts and severe storms that varied from a severe skunking to incredible success.

Go get 'em any time you've got the chance!

9. Alot if you don't go seems to be the big winner here ;)

10. How do you change the presentation?

11. I had a good day. I caught several fish. See my post in the report section for South east OH, Lake Hope.

12. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Get the heck off the water in a thunderstorm. He who runs away can fish another day. Rain, hail, wind, snow...okay, but not with lightning. Think of your family eulogizing you at your funeral after you get fried by a bolt. :(

13. You bring up a good point and a couple questions. I never have heard of anyone getting stuck by lighting on a boat during a thunderstorm. Does it happen?

What about the big boats in the ocean, during thunderstorms, that can not just go to shore?

14. mrfishohio

Yes, they get hit, just like golfers on a golf course. You are the highest object in the water. Head for shelter. I guess a big enough boat is like being in a hotel.

15. Thats true Jim...
    I've never been out in a boat fishing during a T-storm but have been on my way in caught up in some BAD ones!!
    I have done really good right before one and when the bolts were flashing way off on the horizon but man they scare the tar out of me!!!

16. The ship I was on in the Navy had a lightening rod and we were hit plenty of times...

17. mrfishohio

Good deal, glad to see we're on the same page. I have heard that lightning will strike up to 10 miles away, and I've played it close at times myself. But...a very BIG BUT...I'd advise everyone to seek shelter upon a lightning storm. If you do happen to be caught out on the water, then get to the shore, and not under the tallest trees. :)

18. mrfishohio