close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Throwing away old gas

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bronzback, Apr 5, 2005.

1. I have an old lawn boy lawnmower that my uncle gave to me last year and it still runs but you cannot adjust the height and after a while it over heats. So I bought a new lawnmowwer. The lawn boy uses a gas oil mix and the new one does not, so now I am stuck with some gas that I do not need. How can I get rid of this without trying to burn it up? Is there anyplace I can take it? Obviously I don't want to just dump it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.If interested I am going to call my uncle and see if he wants the lawnmower back(doubtful).So I will just give it to some body if they want it. Like I said before it runs pretty good you just can't adjust the height and it overheats after a while.

2. If you do not want to burn it off,, use it on you driveway if it is gravel. It will kill the weeds coming up.
    Or just leave the cap open and let nature take its course. It will evaperate fairly quickly.
    Just dont put it where someone can strike a match to it.

3. To dump it on the ground and not very wise to let it evaporate. If you have a recycling cente near you drop it off there. Or most marina's have a way to get rid of it safely, at least Vic's Sportscenter did for me.

4. fffffish

fffffish Muskie 1 Trolling Thunder

At almost $2.50 a gallon someone will take it. Iam looking at close to $150.00 to fill my boat today: mad: at this rate I don’t know how much longer I can afford to keep my boat running.

5. I hear that Rick... Hows it going on WB so far?

6. fffffish

fffffish Muskie 1 Trolling Thunder

Only been out 1 time i took jig we had no luck. to many honeydos to do now

7. I believe that dumping gas onto your driveway could conflict with EPA regulations. I would suggest pushing the mower over to the nearest neighbor's yard downgradient and downwind from you and just tip the mower over until the gas drains out. And if by chance you get caught doing it, just act like you fell and sprained your knee or something.

But seriously, dumping gas is bad. Just put it in your car/truck gas tank and top it off with regular gas. Its good to do on the cylinder heads from time to time anyway.

8. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Do you have a weedeadter or blower you can use it in? Was it stabilized? How old is the gas? I would put it in the new mower and burn it up. A little oil in the gas will just make it smoke a bit. Change the spark plug after that, as it may be a bit fouled. Another option is to mix it in with oil from an oil change and take to places that accept oil for recycling. I did that with my old outboard. Don't dump it, that's just not a good idea.

9. Please don't dump your gas on the ground. WRONG

10. I believe Crankus had the best idea. It will run in the 4 stroke engine but will just smoke a little more. You could even add ore gasoline to the mix and make it even more pure gasoline and the smoke would be very minimal. If you are not comfortable doing that then I would suggest finding someone with the need for 2 stroke mix and give it to them to use. I am sure you will not have any problem finding someone with a boat motor or weed trimmer, etc.