Three Creeks

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Columbusslim31, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Columbusslim31

Columbusslim31 Student of Finjitsu

Went out yesterday. I decided against Hoover since I didn't have the gas and stopped by Wolfe Park on Alum. The current was pretty fast so I decided against fishing it. I then went to Three Creeks park pond. There were a lot of people there. I stayed for 2 hours, and though I saw a lot of activity in the water, I didn't see one fish pulled from anyone. Not even from those using live bait. I was only equipped to river fish as I only took what I thought was necessary to do so: my yozuri, a wee craw, a few twisters with 1/32 and 1/16 oz jigs, a few inlines, a buzzbait, and some 3 inch tubes. I used all except the tubes. It was frustrating as I saw so many fish jumping and breaking the surface. Being new to pond fishing (and new to lure fishing in general), I have yet to experience success at a pond. I walked the entire pond and casted, switching lures when I felt it necessary.

The one thing that I did learn is that once one ties on a buzzbait, it may serve one best to commit to throwing it. At one point, I had the buzzbait tied on, casted about 30-40 times and after no hits at all, switched to jig and twister. Not long after that, the surface activity increased drastically. I casted the jig a few more times and then decided to tie the buzzbait back on. Apparently that may have been too late because almost as soon as I tied it back on, all the activity ceased.:( I'm not sure that surface activity equates to a better bite on the buzzbait, but logically it would seem so.

Anyway, I keep learning and I keep going. I won't stop. Hopefully soon I'll have my first pond fish, but I don't mind saying that it's frustrating though considering that it appears to be popular opinion that fish can be caught easier from ponds. Not that that's the reason I fish ponds, I just fish them when I feel like I don't have any other options. Ultimately, I suspect the key to success at pond fishing, as with fishing any other body of water, is merely to put the time in. Thus, I will continue to do so. To those that care to hear about my progress, hopefully I'll have something with more substance in my next report.

2. Don't give up marshall. All the best ponds are private it seems. I've never had much luck at Public Ponds at all. Good news is that you got the chance to practice throwing/working different baits. That'll pay off.

I'm also interested in what people have to say about surface activity. If I noticed a bunch of surface activity like bugs on the water ect, I would usually throw something just under the surface. Like you, always skunked though.

3. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

Time on the water is key to ANY kind of fishing. Did you try throwing any weightless soft plastics? Sometimes when fishing slow or still water I like to wacky rig and senko type bait. You can let it glide or sink, or burn it across the surface to spit like a buzz bait. Fairly versatile for fishing different parts of the water column. Keep putting in the time and good things will happen.

4. tnant1

tnant1 Avid bait killer

Have you tried the Turtle pond there at three creeks. It's kinda hard to fish but I've caught two or three LMB from there on tubes on the bottom. I've also heard there are Crappie in there as well. Keep trying, there in there!

5. Columbusslim31

I believe I fished Heron pond. Where is Turtle pond?

6. lawrence1

lawrence1 Master Tangler

Just curious, is this placed named because 3 creeks come together there? That would be unusual.

7. yes, 3 creeks (alum, big nut and something starting with P, sorry, I just woke up) confluence together. Very nice park, you may see me there today. This is going to be my another chapter of my Quest for Gar.

8. stumpsitter

stumpsitter Regular Guy

9. right, starting with B, I was eating and was not able to pronounce B

Anyhow, I just came back from 3 creeks - the water level is fantastic but the fish are just not there. I only managed one small SM, i did not see anything else, no gar no bluegill even, just plenty of fry.

10. stumpsitter

stumpsitter Regular Guy

I haven't fished the creeks for a while, but I always had the best luck in Big Walnut upstream from there-closer to Williams Rd. There used to be an old dam in BW near the old power house. We always did well there as well.

Blacklick is little more than a ditch there...Alum is decent-there is a deeper hole just upstream from the confluence.

I was talking with my dad the other day. He grew up fishing these streams. He told me that the creeks are "dead". I told him that people catch a lot of fish out of there-many smallmouth and rock bass. He claims that the fish don't spawn in there, but are released or come from the reservoirs.

I can't convince him otherwise. I grew up in the 70's and caught fish in those creeks then, but the bass were few and far between. The fishing in those streams now is infinitely better than it was then. I have to say that the water has improved and is improving...any thoughts?

11. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

You are correct. Alum is MUCH better than it used to be. It is not dead, and fish DO spawn.

12. tnant1

tnant1 Avid bait killer

SLIM, Turtle pond is at the confluence. You go past the bridge over Blacklick creek and the first left is what you take. Go about a mile or so and the park entrance is on the right.

13. Columbusslim31

Thanks. It's appreciated.

14. trofybassinassasin

trofybassinassasin The heat is on!

I have been to turtle pond several times. My friend turned me onto it. The pond is absolutely beautiful. I have been out there several times in the morning and evening and to me the fish seem more active in the evening. I don't use any live baits, I usually just practice different lures on the pond. I have only caught one largemouth out of the pond, it was an overcast day during July about a week or two ago, temperature around 75-80 degrees. I have seen people catch bass in this pond and know they are there from surface activity. My bass was small. My friend claims he caught a 3-4 pound bass using a worm just rigged weightless. I have yet to use tubes, but will definitely give it a try. Good place for kids, lots of blue gills. I was using a zara puppy from heddon walking the dog when I caught the bass I landed. I seem to get lots of strikes on top water, was using ribbit frogs and they hit but never took them under.

Good luck and good fishing.