close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Threat of Freezing temps....

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Reel Lady, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

I have a question for you experienced boat owners... We don't plan on storing our boat for the winter until we "have" to... This means that it will not be winterized while sitting in our driveway waiting for its next trip. What will happen when the temps go below 32 degrees? Is there something we should add to the gas to prevent freezing? What do we need to be very careful about if the boat isnt going into storage until mid November?
    Thanks guys :)
    Marcia

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Just make sure you lower your o/b and kicker after use while sitting (they're both self draining), until you do your winterization. It's not going to be cold enough, long enough for a while to have cause any harm.

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Check the Boat section. There are several post about winterizing a boat. As for Freeezing temps, make sure all the water is drained from your live well, make sure the plug is pulled to drain the water out of the floor area etc. Nothing else to worry about unless you get several days of below freezing temps.

4. Reel Lady

Ok... we will do that...I know that he lowered the motor before we trailered it home the other night to let the water drain out. Since we have the 115HP motor on a support bar for trailering, should we remove this bar and lower the motor when we get home as well?
    Thanks,
    Marcia

5. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

You can to make sure all the water is drained. I leave mine on once all of the water is drained. To be sure lower it when you get home. Just be sure to raise it before you leave again :D

6. I'm the same way. I like to use my boat as long as I can. The biggest thing I do in the colder months when that water gets cold, especially in the spring is let the motor warm up before using. I'm talking let it run for 5-10 minutes idling. When you start the engine, do not REV it up when its cold. Like everyone else said, make sure the livewells and water is drained from the boat.

Watch out for ice in the early spring too when operating your boat! One time I ran across the lake and came off plane and found myself setting down on a super thin layer of ice. It scared the crap out of me, cracking all around me. I barely caught the end of a thin thin layer of ice but I didn't notice it until I was there! I'm always anxious to get out in the spring as early as possible. It may look like the lake is unthawed but in early March sometimes small layers of ice reform overnight.

7. Reel Lady

LOL... does this mean that you actually take your drain plug out once the threat of 32 degree weather occurs????

8. I hardly ever take my drain plug out unless I fish Erie and get water in the boat or it rains really hard while fishing or it's winter time and I need to make sure water is out. Other than that I leave it in!

9. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

I'll echo what's been said. Most marine dealers will put out signs if you bring in your boat after the first freeze (not warranting their work), but 32 degrees isn't going to hurt anything, just make sure you drop both your outboards and let the water drain out.

10. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

One thing that everybody misses and never finds out till spring is the bilge pump, put some marine grade antifreeze in that thing because the water never all gets pumped out, I fish all year long, after I pull the boat from the ramp I drop the motor and let it sit while I strap the boat down then I install the transom saver towing at 65 mph the wind chill will be way down there, also pull the plug when your trailering if there is any water in the bilge area it will work its way out, normally I don't pull the plug except during the winter months.

Triton Bill, I have done that very same thing before, gets your attention real quick, also try driving in a fog cloud during the winter, it will freeze up on your jackets and you hear that cracking sound but it is above the water line...........Doc

11. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

i dont put my boat away til i cant break the ice with so stayin ontop of leftover water is one thing i pay close attention to. ill mention a few of the things i do, and also ones that have been stated previously cause you never can hear the same thing too many times when winterizing a boat...

1. pull the plug after every use.
    2. drain the livewell and also i take a air compressor and blow air from the outside of the overflow so it pushes water back into the live well, typically its not that much but its water and it can cause damage. if you can blow air in down the line that brings water into the livewell from the intake in the back, dont use too much pressure as you can blow the line off if there not secure and if there is any obstuctions in the line it will cause the pressure to build up too..

3 unhook the speedo meter behind the dash and and blow that line free of water too... know some people that didnt do that and it cracked there line during the winter and the speedo didnt work in the spring. also if you run in dirty water dirt and other junk can get pushed up there.. and by blowing from the dash back you can usually get that crap out of there.

4. i also blow air down the line that your " pee stream" comes from when running, just to make sure have seen that line get build up from mud and algae too.

5. pull the trolling motor (electric) prop off and make sure there isnt any line behind there or any water, i had a weed get behind there last year and it formed a seal so the water couldnt escape, glad i did that. pull outboard props too to check for line.

6. take everthing out of the rod lockers and storage, lifejackets, ropes, first aid kit. this way you dont get any mold on any of your gear, with a cover on the warm up and cooling can cause condensation to build and in the spring youll have mold on everything. i keep all the lids open, or cracked so air can get in to minimize the mold.

7. take tackle boxes out and store in a climate controlled area, helps prevent rust on the hooks from condensation.

8. drain n change lower unit oil, just incase there is any water in there.

9. i throw gas stabilizer in the fuel tank (sta-bil) usually on the last trip out, that way i know i can get it circulating into the fuel lines and also trailering it helps stir it up in the tank.

10. be cautious when storing lower units with a garbage bag around them, water can leak in and get trapped.

im sure there are many other things people do , and things im not thinking of at the moment. i usually throw all the life jackets, ropes and other stuff in the boat an sort it out in the spring. also if you get nice days during the winter i like to take the cover off to let fresh air in there. almost no matter what you do this year, youll find things to do the following year to prevent some sort of problems... pretty much so follow the instructions in owners manual for your outboards and youll be safe. i usually do everything by the book and then go over it again to make sure as a checks n balances system.

sowbelly