Thread ?

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by kruggy1, Apr 1, 2008.

  1. Most of you know I just started tyin flies, I have been using ultra thread 140 for wooly bugger patterns. Sadly thats the only real pattern I know but trying to expand and other flies call for different types of thread. But Im getting confused on all the other types of threads out there and there purpose. I would like to know what is the differance between floss,monocord, and prewaxed thread? Can I use UT 140 to tie all types of flies? Any info would be grately appreciated,Thanks.
  2. Fishaholic69

    Fishaholic69 Fly Fishing Addict

    thinner threads for small dry flys. anything fly that sinks don't matter what size unless you don't want it to be bulky. I have 6/0 thread for drys and nymphs. (70 denier) and have 210 denier that I use for buggers. its super thick tho. i use the 6/0 for size 12 or smaller bugs.

  3. Flyfish Dog

    Flyfish Dog Banned

    140 Den. is fine for almost everything in Ohio. Now when it gets to tying tiny flies I use smaller stuff like 10/0-14/0 thread. All my bassstreamer flies I use 3/0 for durablity. 8/0 is what I use on all my dry flies and smaller foam patterns as it easier to work with.
  4. 3/0 and 6/0 will suit your needs for most flys, use the 6/0 for your small stuff and the 3/0 for buggers and such. Floss is used for bodies in some patterns; the red wrap in a Royal Coachman is floss. Floss in the right colors can be used for a dandy looking caddis larvae. Check out your local craft stores for useable materials.