close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thousand Islands Region

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by COmmodore 64, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Has anyone ever fished the Thousand Islands region for walleye? They are supposed to be making a recovery up there. I'm going out there next week and would like to try to get some walleye.

2. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I fished there with my dad and a few of his friends in the summer of '82. Biggest damn rockbass and bluegill I have ever caught. They were the size of paper plates and 1-2" thick.
    We didn't catch any walleye.
    Wolf Island is pretty cool.

3. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

the area of cape vincent through chippewa bay is all good :B
    fish the current and breaklines around the islands that are out in the actual main river channel and you should be golden.

there are some good areas around mary island/bluffs that drop immediately into 25ft of water with great deep weeds. be prepaired to fish at night...thats when the summer eyes go wild.

4. Newbreed: thanks for the reply. Could I importune you to tell me what kind of gear you use up there? I'm assuming trolling Dipsies won't work. Cranks and harnesses?

5. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

COM64

we trolled fireline with harness', sticks and crankbaits from what i remember. i wouldnt think the water would be that hot yet so you might get away with free-lining most stuff. the water depth can really vary depending on where your at average (12-32') planners are a must when they are in shallow and yes it wouldnt hurt to have the jets/dipsys as an option.

we didnt have a lot of fancy stuff but normally got the job done.
    usually fished the 2nd week of june before the bass opener

the pike are very easy to get during the day ...troll chippewa bay with jets/light spoons or drift big shiners off the deep ledges and shoals.
    there are lots of nice shoals on the north part of chippewa that hold good #of walleye and smallmouth.

I would stay completely out of the areas like goose bay(largemouth) ...too shallow.

The best walleye is around westminster/wellesely island area that splits canada and ny. this area could be crowded (thats when i would retreat/change ramps to chippewa bay) If you try this west/wellesly area the Kring point state park would be great..there are a lot of small dimple islands and shoals between there and wellesley (good smallmouth)
    I would definately get a gps card if your running a nice boat. The water goes from shallow to deep in an instant and like i said before the good eye fishing is at night.

Hope this info helps you...

HOLY DIVER
    Newbreed

6. Many thanks, newbreed. I really appreciate all that info. I will be sure to update this thread to let you know how we do up there. Not sure that I will have internet at any point up in the cottage there though...so it might be a week or so before I update.