close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thoughts on this Racor Filter?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by SwollenGoat, Feb 12, 2008.

1. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

Was doing a bit of research on ebay and happened to stumble across this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...50018936238&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

For $20 +shipping vs. $60-$100 for a new kit from local marinas this seems like a good deal.

Appears slightly different than the typical 320 racor filter kit, plus it has 2 in and 2 out lines both of which may be slightly larger than 1/4" (Maybe 3/8" or 1/2")

Only hesitate because not sure what the replacement filter would be. The seapro logo is just custom, but I'm not finding anything with 3240. Not sure if all the racor filters are interchangeable?

2. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

i just made an offer for 2 of them at $10.00 each(hes got over 110). he wants $19.00 for one, if he accepts my offer i will have a spare(spare filter too). i have been thinking about putting one on my boat anyway and at least with this on it has a clear bowl so you can see the water, if theres any in your fuel.

3. SwollenGoat

Glad to see someone else is on the same page as me.:D

Looks like the filter supplied with this kit is shorter than the standard marine filter I've seen online. Just wondering if it will be a problem trying to find a replacement when the time comes.

4. The filter is a good idea but it does not say what the filter element is, I have read that you want a 10 micron filter at least for seperating water from the fuel, plus always carry a spare filter with you. These are a must have if using any ethanol fuel in your 2 stroke motors.

5. SwollenGoat

I did a bit of research and all Racor marine filters (for gasoline) are 10 micron filters. Most opinions out there say Racor filters are the best of the best and hence their hefty pricetag. I might just pull the trigger and get one of these, can't beat the price.

***UPDATE***
    I posted this same question on iboats.com and from what was said there these type of Racor units accept many different types of filters. The majority of the screw in bases accept a 1" threaded hole filter. Went ahead a bought one this morning - $26.88 shipped for a premium Racor water separator unit is a steal compared to the $60..$70...$80 and more I've been seeing all over the web. I'll post some info. & better pics up when I get it.

6. ezbite

we went back and forth, finally settled on $17 each. guess i'll get 2.

7. ezbite

hey swollengoat, thanks for the heads up and link. ive been meaning to get a separator/filter for a few seasons now, just gets lost in everything else. got mine today and they are the real deal. just wanted to thank you. now if i can just find about 6 replacement elements:p :p even came with the hardware. thanks man.

Attached Files:

8. Fishers of Men

Fishers of Men Senior Member

What did you do?? He now wants 30$ for 1. :confused:

9. ezbite

LOL, yea i noticed that too when i revisited his listing. must be because the season is getting close. he still has 110, so im sure he will still take $17.00

10. SwollenGoat

Always glad to post up a deal ezbite. Just got mine yesterday - good stuff, very happy. This will solve the problem of how to plumb for my main motor and kicker plus the added protection against water.

BTW - the item was on sale for a week, original price was $30.
    You snooze - you lose, but it's still less than half for every other Racor filter system I've seen like this.

11. They took my offer of $17 each also, and I got myself a pair.Glad to see they come with all the parts to plumb them up as well.
    A very nice deal, I can't wait until mine arrive.

Rich

12. Fishers of Men

Fishers of Men Senior Member

Whats the size of these? mine are like a full size oil filter. Is there a drain valve under the bowl?