Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Trolled all last season, Mich Stingers, Reef Runners & Bombers off Dipseys. Didn’t use a single crawler. Less mess! If you are casting or drifting with Erie Dearies or harnesses, they should work. Dragging a crappie rig tipped with marshmallows might get them!

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Schatty what was water temp for you?? i go by the old saying try different things and see what the fish want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
I hate treble hooks so i dislike running cranks although I have a ton and will if I have too. I converted all my spoons to Siwash single hook. All my harnesses are two single hooks. Be a few more weeks before I get out but you can bet I'll be pulling 'crawlers.

The way of the worm!!

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I too have given up on crawlers. Less mess and fewer junk. The bite has been so good over the last few years there hasn’t been the need to invest in worms. I did need to become more adept in cranks but that has expanded my versatility. At times I miss spinners but I think it’s only nostalgia... I don’t miss the mess in the boat, cooler and under my nails.
All that being said, if your on the west end, the time is last week.

·
Johnny tsunami
3,701 Posts
1000% done with harness. They are a pain in the ass nothing but a mess and get junk constantly and they get picked clean without you knowing. Stick with spoons and cranks stop wasting time and money and making a mess. Go on a charter and see how many harnesses they use.... None lol

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I hate treble hooks so i dislike running cranks although I have a ton and will if I have too. I converted all my spoons to Siwash single hook. All my harnesses are two single hooks. Be a few more weeks before I get out but you can bet I'll be pulling 'crawlers.

The way of the worm!!
if you don’t mind me asking... what size hooks are you putting on your spoons? Not a big fan of trebles either, take way too much time. The fish tell me they don’t care for them as well.

·
WALLEYE, SMALLMOUTH, LARGEMOUTH, PERCH, BLUEGILL
221 Posts
Crawler harnesses are a great bait when drifting / casting. One with the appropriate bottom bouncer in a rod holder and casting a weapon are a blast. I do agree they can be a pain when trolling.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I think sometimes on a tough bite worms help !!!slow rolling a Colorado blade in dirty water pulls fish I always have some on my vessel when I go out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am a drifter & caster, I make a drifting harness that we usually fish in a rod holder. Then cast mayfly rigs or weight forwards from the front and back of the boat. Two drifting rigs in rod holders, and two guys casting, a lethal combo. The drifting harness is also very good for youngsters. Last summer I took my 2 grandson’s on their 1st Erie outing. The younger boy had trouble casting in close quarters. Set him on the cooler beside the a drifting harness and he caught his 6 fish & was net man for the rest of us.

·
just 1 more cast!!!
2,643 Posts
I used large ribbon tail and straight tail rubber worms on harnesses last year in October. Caught plenty of fish using bottom bouncers. With the water so clear, they see the bait before they smell it. Once they grab it, they are hooked. No need for crawlers unless fishing inland lakes imo.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts