Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Currently fish Lake Erie with a 17' lund Adventure full windshield 125 hp Mercury. Love the boat does a great job on the lake. My problem is I love to fish the Maumee Walleye run, been doing it for 35 years. Problem is my Lund is way to nice for the river tracking thru mud everyday to access it while it is on the bank, boulders during low water ect. I am thinking of getting a 23' flat bottom aluminum boat perfect for the river, it has a 115 hp Yamaha and an 8 hp kicker. Would also make nice water fowl boat being factory camo. What is everybody's thoughts ? Could I even fish Erie in a flat bottom boat on Erie? I know it would be a rough ride. Would I be sick of my choice fishing on Erie with a 23' flat bottom boat , it is extra wide. I would like a bigger Lund In the future but if the flat bottom boat would fit both needs that would be the way to go.
Thoughts.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
I Currently fish Lake Erie with a 17' lund Adventure full windshield 125 hp Mercury. Love the boat does a great job on the lake. My problem is I love to fish the Maumee Walleye run, been doing it for 35 years. Problem is my Lund is way to nice for the river tracking thru mud everyday to access it while it is on the bank, boulders during low water ect. I am thinking of getting a 23' flat bottom aluminum boat perfect for the river, it has a 115 hp Yamaha and an 8 hp kicker. Would also make nice water fowl boat being factory camo. What is everybody's thoughts ? Could I even fish Erie in a flat bottom boat on Erie? I know it would be a rough ride. Would I be sick of my choice fishing on Erie with a 23' flat bottom boat , it is extra wide. I would like a bigger Lund In the future but if the flat bottom boat would fit both needs that would be the way to go.
Thoughts.
i would think you would get beat to death. i would get an aluminum fishing boat for the river and be a 2 boat family.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Your gonna really limit your comfort and number of days on Erie by going to a big flat bottom. Sure , there will be days you would be fine . But you'll have more uncomfortable or unfishable days .

Best bet would be to get another boat for fishing the river .

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe you guys are right, I didn't realize the amount of stress in the center of the boat would take when only the back 1' is in the water going over a wave and then the bow come slamming down on that flat bottom. I guess also the ride would be horrible in a mild chop let alone 2-3 foot waves. I'll just start looking for a boat for the Maumee, as long as I'm alive I will fish the run its runs deep in the blood.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Ask all those guys who bought 20' Mod-V's how well they held up to Lake Erie. Short answer...they didn't. Cracked welds, busted rivets, etc. etc. If you want a Maumee river rig, get a big flat bottom with a surface drive.

·
fishing fool
371 Posts
Durability aside, I'd think a flat bottom boat could easily be swamped or flipped over by the wake from a big pleasure boat or ferry boats like the jet express - doesn't matter how good you are at driving the boat. I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Thoughts.
Maumee Walleye run
buy 19' V ,plain sheet metal boat and 9.9 HP.you can use that on lake erie and river.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
i wouldnt use it on erie, but thats just me
you may go out there and not have an issue on a nice calm flat lake
BUT we all know all to well the lake doesnt stay flat calm very long and you want a boat thats gonna get you IN SAFELY when the lake does kick up while you are out there..
if you feel comfortable in it then go for it, but i wouldnt

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
a good 16 to 18 deep v aluminum fishing rig with a 9.9 or maybe a 15 and you'll be good to go. then you could use the motor as a kicker on your Erie boat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Once I got my deep V boat, I just fish lake Erie 100% I used to fish the river, but unless you really enjoy it, which I can see, as some do. But I fish the run also but on the lake and the lake is a lot more gentle on the boat, and no river rat race.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Once I got my deep V boat, I just fish lake Erie 100% I used to fish the river, but unless you really enjoy it, which I can see, as some do. But I fish the run also but on the lake and the lake is a lot more gentle on the boat, and no river rat race.
Same thing happened to me. Once you get out on the lake you find you don’t have to do combat fishing anymore to experience great fishing. Ice out fishing will blow your mind... big hungry fish... no one snagging you’re line... and the great fishing persists all year long, regardless of what you fish for.

·
Bass are for guys who can't catch Walleye
1,198 Posts
I used to fish the inland/spring run river fishing. I am with you guys, after I bought my first deep vee, I quickly became a Great Lakes guy only. As far as a flat bottom boat on Lake Erie, don't waste your money, even on calm days you will have the big boat Googan that will roll a 3-4' wave at you. If you want to fish the river, get a Jet Boat that is designed for it. Good luck!

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
they make a heavy duty wide body aluminum flat bottom that would be great for river fishing. i don't know who makes it but i have seen one in action.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Without reading all the post do you really want to sacrifice a good liquor boat that you can use year round everywhere for a boat for the Maumee River that you will use for maybe a couple weeks? I have a 16' monarch I use on maumee a d a 21 trophy for Erie..

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Let's put it this way, I am more comfortable in my kayak then in a flat bottom jon boat in Lake Erie by a long shot. Jon boat can and will flip over very easily.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts