close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

thoughts on .17 HMR

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Garyoutlaw77, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Garyoutlaw77

Garyoutlaw77 Rough Fish Ambassador

Well I jumped ship & got a new Savage .17 HMR & from everything I read it seems to be a hit with most shooters. Anyone have any thoughts on this gun Vs. a .22 Mag

2. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

much faster, much flatter... i love the little round

3. what did you get a savage or a marlin? what model

4. Garyoutlaw77

Savage 93R17 HMR Blk. SS Bull barrel

5. As mentioned, the HMR is faster and lighter. The .22 Mag retains more energy. Depends on what you plan to do with it I suppose. Personally, I can not come up with one single use for one, but people sure seem to like them.

6. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Gary Get a hold of me when you want to do some shooting. I have a Single-six .17, plenty of room to throw some rounds.

7. Garyoutlaw77

Thanks Spence, My Brothernlaw plans to pick up a .22 hornet so we are looking for some places to stretch out some of these shorty's

8. The Hornet is a oldy but goody...with the right load it will drop groundhogs in there tracks out to 175 yds or so, wish I never traded mine:(

9. You will enjoy the rifle, fun little caliber to shoot. I have the Marlin 17VS bead blasted stainless with the grey/black laminated stock. My only complaint was the clip sticking you in the back when you shouldered the gun. Solved that problem by shortening the clip, no problem now very accurate taken a few head shots on some tree rats. I was thinking of selling it to fund another project for the Encore.

Attached Files:

10. Is the .17 HMR a to small of a round for say yotes ? .......Rich

11. They Might Get 15 Yards With A Lung Shot. I Love My Marlin.

12. Yes, unless you can make a head shot every single time.

13. There are alot of guys out there that would say its plenty of gun for yotes, but then again there are guys who hunt deer with a 223, I myself wouldnt want to use a HMR on yotes as you would probably have to get the yote alot closer than what the generally get to a hunter and put the bullet right where it needs to be to get a quick clean kill, why not just use a centerfire or a stiff load of #4s out of your 12.

14. littleking

most (all) rimfire rounds are not considered adequate for predator hunting

15. HCF

HCF

This always gets mixed opinions. Yes it will work but can you make a clean head shot an have the patience to wait or let it walk away if you don't?

16. Garyoutlaw77

Well we have our first Yote kill with the 17 !
    shot straight on in the chest at 40 yards knocked him on his seat and when he tryed to stand he fell for good. The initial punch was bigger than I would have guessed. When we skinned him out his cavity was full of blood.
    Sorry I have no pics for this one -camera's dicked up

17. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Super sweet to hear Gary! Nice going dude!

18. littleking

17hmr? 17m2? 17 remington? 17 fireball?

19. Garyoutlaw77

HMR Hornady V-Max 17gr.
    Shot so flat it was like it stung him stiff when he got knocked back.
    Just to clear something up I agree that the .17 & .22 mags are not best suited for Yotes on a grand scale, but if you do your job of decoying/calling dogs close these small calibur rifles work sweet and are whisper quiet

20. littleking

i agree gary... if your willing to pass on shots that are not guaranteed kills, go for it. if not, time to pick a different round.