close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

thoughts about a new boat

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Phil Carver, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

I am currently looking at purchasing a new boat . I have narrowed it down to the one I think I am going to get . What are your thoughts about the Ranger 519 VX tour Edition . I like alot of the features this boat has and also it seems that if they are taken care of , their resale value is great . Also , there is only a very small price difference between this baot and all the others .

2. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

3. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Small price difference? Ha! Lol I agree with ya' It only costs a little more to go first class! First class would be Ranger or a Champion. Neither boats are speed demons but, get into the rollers and want to get back safely! Ranger or Champion bar none! my third choice- after owning all three- Charger. I probably opened a can of worms here. I have owned Skeeters, Hydrasports, Chargers,Ebbtide Dynatracks, Cajuns (my favorite- Ricky Green model (flawless at everything) Allisons (kiss your a#$$ goodbye in the rough stuff), Norriscraft (horrible layout), Charger-extremley tough to beat for all around storage and quality of glass and rough water.. I will give a big thumbs up to Ebbtide Dynatrac bassboats. The absolute Porsche of sweet handling rigs!!!
    After owning these rigs and finally buying a Ranger -and mind you -its only an R71 with a 115 Merc- I ABSOLUTLEY SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A RANGER YRS AGO!!!!! AME 4000 resin (the best there is) on top of bi-axile woven roving glass. Way tougher than Kevlar Arimid! Only thing tougher is carbon fibre- which by the way is what the Liberator bassboat is constructed out of. And theres only two built a year for $100 G plus. And its a dog even with a 2.7 Merc. Yes , there is a 2.7 -370 hp plus and no, you can,t get one! Phil, Ranger or Champion-!!!! Buy a Champion- fish with DaleM, Buy a Ranger- fish with Raider, EITHER WAY-You'll get to see what big bass are!!! :D LOL
    Damn, Burf!! Guess where I been! Bwahahahahahhahahaha! RANGER! :D

THE FOLLOWING TUTORIAL WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY Red
    I am the captain of this ship and have my wifes permission to say so!!!!!!
    Oh heck- Just buy a Ranger and get a free Ranger coat! :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  4. One word.... Ranger

Oh and if your going to buy new, go ahead and buy the new z-series, only a lil bit more

J

5. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

If I was buying new and had the money I'd get a Bass Cat or a Champion. You can't go wrong with a Ranger though. I know from friends who have owned Rangers, Bass Cats, or Champions they say the customer service from the manufacurer is beyond compare. I've heard this about Ranger even if your not the origional owner!!

It appears you are buying used. I'd be more concerned with the motor.

6. Phil Carver

I will be buying a new one . I am really looking hard at the 519 Ranger but I may have to settle with the 185Vx model if things dont go right . I may have to set the 519 caddy corner in the garage though . :( As far as the price , I would rather spend a "very slight" higher price and get a boat with the reputation and better customer service than I would with other models I have been checking out . The hardest thing I will have to decide is what color of motor to put on the back since I have been a die hard RUDE owner for so many years . :)

7. Sounds like you are on the right track Phil! Ranger makes a great boat. I agree with a couple of the post about spending a little extra to get a "good" boat. Before I purchased my 1998 Champion 203 from Knox Marine, I was $1500.00 difference from another dealer on buying a leftover 2003 Nitro 898. After running the Champ for part of this season, I am glad I did what I did.

There are many boat builders out there that make what I call 10-year boats. The better boats like Champion, Ranger, etc. are 20+ year boats. There are still plenty of late model 20+ year boats out there running strong and looking good.

I have to say that I am an Evinrude man. I ran the heck out of my 1994 Evinrude 150 and had great luck. Knock on wood! The 225 Evinrude on my Champion has been running great. Either way, I think you would be safe with Merc or Evinrude. If you are looking for a Ranger give Knox Marine a call since they are now a Ranger dealer. I see that Knox is no longer carrying Champion Boats. Not sure what is up with that.

8. I'd say for the color of your rude etec, if you are going to get a light colored boat, get a dark engine, but if you get a dark colored boat get a white engine like reel ladies. Also remember, dark colors attract heat, take that into consideration when choosing colors, try to go with a lighter color carpet. Man im jealous i wish i had these hard decisions to make, Maybe after i graduate next year w/ a chemistry degree i can ge tthe chance to go through the same process, but for now, its just lookin at my lil 14' lowe :) good luck, be sure to post pictures of it when you get it, i know i will be eager to see it! Oh yeah, make sure you get a ranger cover, we used to have an 84' 350V and we kept the cover on it whether it was in the garage or going down the highway, those things are a life saver for your boat and its shine and finish, don't settle for a cheap imitation. Good Luck
    J

9. Phil Carver

Lester , I went to Knox to look at the Rangers that they had in stock last Sat. and thats when I fell in love . :D Nothing like haveing a Ranger , Champion and a few others all at the same place to look at . They have recieved a few more boats this week and im going back up to look at them tommorrow . Decisions , decisions .

10. Tee

Tee Team OGF

I'm jealous too Phil.... Maybe next year I'll have a Ranger...Or Champion too....:D

I kind of want to start looking now to find the advantages/dis-advantages.

11. does this mean I can have the old owrn out POS hydrasport? :D

12. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

I own a 1996 487vs Ranger and it is one tough boat. Oh it does have its battle scars as I buy a boat to fish out of, not be a garage beauty. I have run some very very rough stuff at Erie and it has never let me down yet. It was a demo boat and I had some minor issues with it after I had it for 7 years and Ranger fixed it for me absoluty free. Now thats service!

13. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

I'll have to agree with either the CHAMPION or Ranger. Phil, you know how much I enjoy my boat. I'd buy another one in a heart beat.
    Buy the way I may be selling mine here in the fall, looking at something totally different this time.

14. Phil Carver

Thanks for the offer Dale but I am going to buy my 1st "new" boat . What are you looking into , a pontoon ? :D I would buy a Champion if the guys I deal with still sold them but since they switched to Ranger , I am going to get one instead . :)

15. Minor

Minor Wannabe Fisherman

My first boat was a ranger and likely will be my second (would consider a skeeter) . . . yes i am spoiled but grew up with bass boats in the family . . . i will tell you that in the last year i have called ranger parts two times and both times i have been absolutely happy with the customer service . . . once to order a deck extension for my fish and ski . . .and the second time . .. this last week when i needed to order a thru hull fitting because i was being a bone head and punched a hole in it when i thought it was plugged up . .. .( BONEHEAD ) . .. . yeah . . .i had a moment . . . oh well couldn't be happier with ranger service . . . Can't wait until the wife gives me the go ahead to buy a new boat. . . :) . .. .gonna be smart and custom order it the way i want it next time .. :)