close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thought I SMELT somethin' fishy @ P.I.

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by Husky Jerk, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Hey ,

Was kind of wondering if this smelt plague is natures way of leveling the playing field again.. they look just like any other fish on my vex...Darn things are thick up there. Conditions really changed from Mon. to Sat. Monday fished Misery Bay through BIG wind, limit of gills in 3 hours. Decent ones but not bruisers.No smelt at all. Sat., Misery Bay w/wannabiteawerm loaded w/smelt ... slow fishing but still a very good day, variety bag Gills, Crappie and a few Perch didn't limit out.
    Monday used only rat finkees, Saturday they wanted teardrops,demons. Fished 10fow where the weeds weren't so high,instead of weeds to 5' weeds were closer to bottom both days like 1' -2' off bottom. They did like the bait right above the weeds both days, inches. Waxies and dead emerald shiners, boy those things are fragile...lol

Be Safe
    Husky Jerk

2. There sure were a lot of smelt up there, weren't there??? My son brought home 182 or something like that. They were tasty.

I'm heading back up to Presque on Sunday to fish Misery Bay. First time I have. Where can I find the deeper water??? Or should I just look for the pack of shanties??

Man, I hope the smelt move outta there or the pig perch eat them...LOL

Thanks for the info.

3. carl let me know what time you are going sun i will meet you up there my buddy and i are going next tues and staying until fri so i would like to go up on sun and see if i can find them for use for the week

4. Hey Mike, cfish102 and I will be leaving here about 5:15, which should put us up there around 7:30 or so.

I'm 75% sure we'll be fishing Misery Bay, but if we're not there, it'll be parking lot #2.

Just look for my dark green Dodge truck and the Team OGF stickers on it.

5. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

Big Daddy,
    Fished Misery Bay last Friday from 8:30-3:30. Managed 15 gills over eight inches (my personal standard for keepers). The rest were 7-7 1/2. Fished the second parking lot on Saturday and it seemed that the gills were bigger there. We fished Misery Bay straight out from the parking lot about 200 yds. Loads of gills, smelt on the camera at all times, without the camera it would have been impossible to keep the smelt off your bait. We did catch a few nice perch and several bass also. Everything was caught on maggots or waxworms, shiners didn't produce all that well. Good luck, I hope to make it back up there in a week or two.

Krustydawg

6. Thanks for the info.

Last year we caught some big gills off the second lot, and some decent perch too. Looks like it's going to come down to a coin flip!