Thompson 240

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Thompson240, Jan 25, 2009.

1. So if anyone has a 1990 era Thompson 240 and has it rigged to fish Walleye on Lake Erie I could use some help.

Purchased last year in June/July.
    The poor thing was hammered by someone
    Fixed the entire flooring system; replaced carpet, etc.
    Great boat...HOWEVER>>>

I need to dial it in now for fishing. I think I've got to many damn seats in it but I fish with "dear ol' Dad" who wants his lazy-boy mounted in the thing I think. Hell I'd be fine with two helm seats and that's it. (more room for fish and Beer and food and more fish and more beer, etc)

It's pretty bare as far as fishing goes. I've got two outriggers that don't have rigging yet (need to figure out the best stuff to make it from...NOT BUYING A KIT FROM TACO EITHER)

I've got electronics out the ying-yang now. Lowrance and Raymarine everything an ICOM VHF and an SSB.

What I need help with is doing a better floor plan with the seats (currenty two helm seats and two back to back fold out's that were OEM from Thompson (don't like them really)

So if you have any pics or want to put your two cents in I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

2. Workdog

Workdog "One More Time"

You could ditch the fold outs and get a couple heavy duty deck chairs from one of the boating places. You can move them around wherever you want, or fold them up and stow them to make more room. Some of the offshore guys use special water resistant beanbag seats, then when they get to the fishing grounds stow em up on the hardtop(the beanbags would probably be pretty comfortable in the 3-4 footers).

3. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

i have the same boat, basically.

1990 24ft thompson hardtop 240 fisherman. 4.3L v6 175 HP i/o. I love it.

Like i claim, its not the fastest boat or best looking on the lake but it gets the job done, i really like the gunnels and how deep they are. Its a huge plus in rough weather.

I have 4 seats total on my boat. The captains chair, a swivel seat behind that, and a back to back chair on the port side. This year, i am thinking about ditching the captains chair and the swivel seat on the starboard side and just putting in another back to back chair.

My boat is a fishing boat- not a pleasure boat, i want deck space and room. No reason for me to have 5,6, or 7 chairs in it like it came with.

as far as the floor, i really dont like carpet. To much blood, grime, slime ect getting tossed on my boat to keep the carpet clean. I went with just anti-slip paint over the fiberglass- much easier to keep it cleaned.

If you plan on doing alot of fishing, i would say all you need is a good color fishfinder/gps combo, a big planer board mast and boards, and some quality rod holders.

I personally use the aurora lites rod holders and love them, i also use their planer boards and im more than pleased with those as well.

The thompsons are great boats, just pay close attention to the stringers and transom- they are known for water issues.

4. I have a 91 thompson 240 ht...love it so far,bought it in aug 08,so only had it out a couple times.You can see pictures in the gallery here on ogf.We are in the process of rigging it also.Gonna go with cisco rod holders.We have lowrance lcx-15 gps/finder combo.Seats are original and see no reason to change..Where you fish out of?We mostly fish out of Geneva,but there are no fish left there after George,Ez-bite and workdog get done.ha ha!!!Maybe see you out there...George I disagree,I think these boats are pretty...

5. I have 4 seats total on my boat. The captains chair, a swivel seat behind that, and a back to back chair on the port side. This year, i am thinking about ditching the captains chair and the swivel seat on the starboard side and just putting in another back to back chair.

If you do that mount them a little more toward the stern so I don't miss the seat so much, or next time maybe I'll just sit on the floor and save myself the fall.. :)

6. Workdog

Workdog "One More Time"

Looks like Thompsons are taking over the lake.;) Guess I gotta get me more horsepower. :D

7. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

hey jeff, buy a thompson and for get the best :)

my boat sings sweet sweet music to the fishies.

Want to buy mine?? I want a grady ;)

8. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

Workdog with more Thompson out there, looks like we'll be doing more towing this year! LOL:p

9. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

that was good, ill give you that jess.

Ill just pay you for my tow with walleye, God knows your cooler will still be clean :S

whats that called.......cocktail ice???? :S

10. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

HAHAAHAHA! We love ya George!:B

11. topstroke

topstroke After Eyes

thompsons rule 1980 18 ft