close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thistle feeder (bird watching)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hardwaterfan, Jul 4, 2004.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

These thistle feeders are only like 4 bucks (at Lowes) .... pretty entertaining if youre into this sort of thing.

Attached Files:

2. hardwaterfan

Attached Files:

3. hardwaterfan

Attached Files:

4. hardwaterfan

Attached Files:

5. hardwaterfan

Attached Files:

6. hardwaterfan

Attached Files:

7. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

Nice pictures. I like feeding them myself. Does the thistle get soggy and moldy after it gets wet in that type of feeder. I almost bought one but ended up buying a tube feeder.

8. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

nice pics, you can put all the pics in one post ;)

9. hardwaterfan

Thanks guys. The male goldfinches really brighten things up!

I havent noticed the seeds getting soggy or moldy. They have really been eating a lot of seed and Ive refilled the sock twice already and Ive only had it for about 3 weeks or so. Usually it gets down to 2 or 3 inches on the bottom and to be honest I havent really poked around to see the quality of that leftover seed. I was just thinking to check it next time I fill it.

I was looking at tube feeders, but decided to get this because it was cheap and wasnt sure if any birds would come to it. Needless to say a lot of birds have been coming around. Maybe Ill get a tube feeder, too.

I would prefer to put all the pics in one post but i dont understand why when i do it that way then you have to click on the link to open up the pic instead of the pic showing up by itself?? (if there is more than one pic)...i must be doing something wrong...

As a side note to birdwatchers out there....an oriole has been visiting my hummingbird feeder.....pretty cool!! Id never seen one before. Hes pulling on it with his weight to make juice spill out of the flowers.

Good birding. :)

10. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

They make oriole feeders with special oriole food. Cut an orange in half and stick it on a branch. They like that also. That is really neat. I can't even get a humming bird to my feeder.

11. hardwaterfan

Yeah, after I saw the oriole I got an oriole feeder and hung it up but he wont eat from it....he only goes to the hummingbird feeder. So unfortunately I think all that oriole food is about to spoil. From what I understand i guess we only have a few more weeks (3-5) before the orioles head south again and leave this area.

I will try the orange trick, thanks. :)

I only saw one female hummingbird at my feeder so far and I think I only saw her about 3 times. From what Ive read I hung the feeder way to late. I guess if you hang it up earlier more will come (?)

12. Here in Northern Ohio I try to get my Hummingbird feeders up in mid April at the latest. Sometimes I'll not see a hummingbird until the first week in May, other times they will be on the feeders in mid April.
    [​IMG]
    Sometimes the females don't get along.

13. hardwaterfan

Thats an incredible pic! What kind of camera did you use to take it? Shutter speed? Tripod?

Thanks....

14. HWF -- Nothing special about the camera, it was a Fuji FinePix 2300 digital.
    The tripod, it was a Char-Broil Masterflame 9000. Yep! I used the BBQ grill as a tripod.

BTW

This is one of the very last pictures downloaded off of the 2300.
    [​IMG]
    The next weekend after this picture was taken, my grandson and myself got out on Erie to do a little Walleye fishing. We caught some very nice eyes and took a lot of pictures.

My grandson hooked mybe his largest walleye ever.

As he grabed the Swedish Pimple the split ring opened up. The eye lands on the floor of the shanty.
    We have a walleye flopping around and rods, minnows, a buddy heater and other stuff flying around.
    After he (the grandson) get's a grip on the fish. ----- We have a Walleye and no FinePix 2300.

My grandson chose to let her go, so we don't have a picture of his largest Walleye. :rolleyes:

15. Okay, after enjoying the colorful photos on this thread I just had to jump in with one of my own. Here's a pic of the two feeders on our front porch. A total of seven perches but rarely any vacancies. We go through an average of 6 cups of sugar water per day. Needless to say, we buy our sugar in bulk. :eek: When the feeders are empty the hummers will fly around the house peering in all the windows until they find us....as if to say "Hey in there, we're hungry!".

[​IMG]

16. hardwaterfan

wow.....two more amazing pictures.... :)

Those hummingbirds are so cool.... Ive noticed the last couple of days the hummingbird has been feeding from the oriole feeder, and the oriole is feeding from the hummingbird feeder. :rolleyes:

All right then.....I have been using perky pet brand juice but I see you guys (net, blue pike) use sugar water. What is the proper ratio of sugar to water (by volume?) to use for these birds?

Thanks for the info on the camera....the detail in those feathers is great...thought maybe you used 35mm with a tripod, and set your shutter speed, focal distance, etc. etc.

I have a sony digital 4.1mp and you can mess with all the settings, its fun to have an interesting subject to take pics of.

17. 1 part sugar to 4 parts water. Bring the water to a boil before adding the sugar. Stir mixture for about 1 minute after it starts to boil again, then remove from heat and let cool. Boiling kills any chemicals & bacteria and dissolves the sugar into a nectar.

18. hardwaterfan

thanks a lot for the tips :) .....the boiling thing sounds like a good idea....wouldnt want to hurt these birds....

19. put up a birdfeeder earlier in the spring it's neat seeing all the different birds you may not see everyday I got mourning doves red head woodpeckers bluejays,red belly wood peckers and cow birds and sparrows,
    Crappiebub on here had a neat bird feeder made out of old popcorn tin and it's what I put it up maybe he might see this and show the plans on making it