Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read on a charters website that the trawls so far this year are indicating a record/near record hatch comparable to 2003. Has anyone else heard this? I don't know if anything official has been released, but hoping for the best! Maybe the secret formula is absolutely horrible spring weather with wind and rain and low temps!!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree. I tried looking there before I posted and didn't see any info. I can tell you on the west end there have been a lot of spikes caught again this year. I have even caught several little 8" eyes. Just excited, and hoping for the best I guess. Let's hope it's even remotely true!!!

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,509 Posts
7" according to sea grant thread
No those are from 2010.

From the OSU site.
The 7" walleyes would be from 2010. We have been seeing young-of-year 2011 walleyes in our trawls at Stone Lab and the Ohio Division of Wildlife trawls are also getting them at most of their sites. Hard to believe any of the eggs/fry could have survived the awful spring weather........

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
from the seagrant thread:

The 7" walleyes would be from 2010
YOY walleyes are tiny. that is why they wait until late summer to do official trawls. Much sooner and they pass through the nets.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Anyone thinking that angling pressure may have more of an affect than the weather? Last two big hatches came as the result of crappy springs with minimal fishing pressure, coincidence? possibly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Josh617 may be on to something if 2011 hatch turns out to be superb. We should not dismiss the impact of hundreds of boats on top of the spawning reefs 24/7 when weather allows. Of course, those with financial interests in the fishery would never accept fishing pressure as a impact factor.

·
Registered
667 Posts
It is still too early to know much in my view. I was with one of the main ODNR Lake Erie fishery guys last week. He told us in an informal discussion - and I am paraphrasing from memory here and in generalities - that they were finding young of the year, which was very encouraging to them given spring conditions. He also said they were finding them some places but not them others, which I read as not encouraging. Seem to remember him saying something to effect of finding them around islands, not finding them west.

At this point I think it is still hopeful optimism. Obviously finding some is much better than none which would be an obvious disaster. But I have not yet heard - or seen written anywhere - where anyone is putting any hard numbers on anything yet. Nevertheless, lets all keep our fingers crossed that since they are finding some, that will bring good news come in this fall.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I don't know anything about the trawls, but I will say that on Wednesday I caught more sub-legal walleyes than I caught all of last year combined. At least it gives me hope that the last couple spawns have been decent.

·
Registered
9,648 Posts
Anyone thinking that angling pressure may have more of an affect than the weather? Last two big hatches came as the result of crappy springs with minimal fishing pressure, coincidence? possibly.
I was thinking the same thing!(Though the scientists say otherwise.)
I know the weather certainly kept me off the lake this Spring.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Again, I will preface this with I have heard no specific reports from ODNR or Seagrant or anyone like that, but this quote is from a second lake erie charter captain:

"Our biggest news for the week came when we have heard that the 2011 spawn for our much needed walleye was better than the 2003 hatch and that it may be the best hatch Lake Erie has ever had"

I don't know where this information is coming from, but I do like the sounds of it. I am very hopeful and optomistic!!!!:)

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
The minnow dealers and classes at the stone lab are both seeing very good indications that there are lots of tiny walleyes. But survival to this point does not guarantee a large year class. Good news yes, but not time to celebrate yet.

All this heat will have an effect .... good or bad I do not know (hopefully good).

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Looking back from some of the other strong years.......there does seem to be a correlation between those and strong diminishing La Nina weather patterns like we saw this year....
We shall see.....

·
Registered
960 Posts
Fishing pressure,
I don't want to change the topic from the original poster, but in my personal opinion. I don't think fishing pressure has that much to do with the hatch. Some maybe but not lots. Blue piker states guys are out there 24/7 that is just not the case. Most guys fish 6-8 hours a day during the day when the weather permits us. What goes on the rest of the 24 hour day? Those fish are out there doing there wild thing all night long and how many guys are in the river or on the reefs at night? I hope this years hatch is one everyones been looking for and myself cause I love to catch and eat walleye!!! Good Luck All

1 - 20 of 34 Posts