Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished a little bit just about every day this week but only for about an hour each day. Three trips to the LMR and one to the GMR. One trip was a night trip to the LMR and all I caught was a big gar that whacked a four inch grub about five feet off the bank. He cartwheeled twice, tearing the hell outta things in the still night. I landed him just as he got off/let go and then flopped around a bunch of times on the gravel bar and turned himself loose back into the river. I walked the bike trail one evening to a gorgeous riffle arriving about a half hour before dark. I saw three deer and one bike rider and no fisherman. Several smallies bopped a suspending minnow plug as the "who cooks for you" of a barred owl floated across the river out of the darkening woods. Then I hit the GMR with Dandrews one evening. A stunning looking spot but we only caught a few channel cats. The most interesting fish was a five pound channel that smashed my lipless crankbait right under the surface making a huge boil as it hit. When I landed it the fish had a round stab wound where a heron had jabbed it but bit off more than it could handle. The fish was fat and healthy and otherwise no worse for wear. Another gorgeous evening with swallows buzzing the river like fighter planes. then the next evening was a bird evening. I saw three different kingfishers diving for minnows, a little green heron, two great blue herons, and an osprey. Once again the smallies seemed to like the suspending minnow plug.
It was week filled more with the sights and sounds of evening and night on the river as I tried to beat the heat more than a week of fish. Some weeks the fishing is whats important and some weeks just getting away from "real life" is reward enough...

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
osg ....i love your posts....a bunch...and the way you tell the story is nothing short of awesome...but it just aint the same without your awesome pics

·
Annyong!
1,461 Posts
I saw three deer and one bike rider and no fisherman.
I've been surprised too at the lack of fisherman I've seen out in the past 10 days. I thought the nice weather would have brought them out, but I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of anglers at some of my spots.

Oh..., and thanks to you I now have a bait bucket with an aerator and a son that wants to catch or buy bait every time we go out. It has been fun though.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
osg ....i love your posts....a bunch...and the way you tell the story is nothing short of awesome...but it just aint the same without your awesome pics
The only two pics worth a darn this week. The catfish with the wound from the heron and a portrait of BA83's momma...

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
It’s nice to be out even if the fish aren’t particularly cooperative. I enjoyed watching the swallows swarming over the riffles on the GMR.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Thanks for the pics.... That's a nice cat there..even if you don't post pics of fish, you always manage to take nice pictures of the river on your outings

1 - 9 of 9 Posts