close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

this stinks dont call the odnr

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by lark101_1999, Oct 22, 2004.

1. went out bank fishing on the ohio today boats down for the next month so i headed out to fish for a few hours drove up to the boat ramp there sets a truck with two very larg tanks in th back air pump and all i call the odnr to at least have them check to c if the have all the lic and just to let them know there watching odnr tells me thell get to it in the next 3 OR 4 DAYS :eek: I i then told him not to worry about it because the truck boat fish and all would be gone in a few hours drove back down to c if odnr evan showed up guess what truck gone fish gone only thing left was a nice pile of trash where they put the fish in there tanks and cleaned out the beer cans

2. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Ya should of known the ODNR does'nt give a rats butt about the RIVERS in Ohio....now if it would have been one of thier prized lakes(or thier prized species), they would have been there quickly.
    I have no faith in the ODNR.....1 warden per county, limits on certain species, limits on certain waters....while other water/species get hammered by the "meathunters" & commercial "fisherman".
    Ohio is so far behind other states regs. it will take 20 yrs. just to catch up!!
    I dont think i'll see in my life time the changes that need to be made!!

Scott

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I will have to agree, if this was a lake especially lake Erie, they would have been there in a moments notice.

4. wonder if any wild life or fishing mag would do a story on this stuff at least it would bring the problame out in the open where they would have to make an effort

5. Basskisser1

Basskisser1 And A Kiss For Good Luck!

What kind of fish do you think they were getting? Maybe they were after some cats for their pond? They weren't setting some kind of nets were they? I called the Dnr once when I saw people snagging saugeyes and they told me they needed specific information. I told them where it was happening and they could put someone down there to catch these people but they didn't seem willing to do that.

6. basskisser they where wanting fish for there pond ok :cool: it was one of the near by pay lake owners and this is about the 5th or 6 th time i have seen this guy out usally they will go threw the week because there is less fishermen out on the water

7. odnr called me back today wanted the lic plat # agian seems the tag on the truck came back to a car lol then he asked if i knew if he had a comercial fishing lic i said well if he dosent have tags on his truck id say hes to tight to spend 200 dollers for those

8. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Looks like they are following up. The ODNR would be wasting their time if the guy does have a commercial license. Most paylake owners do have KY commercial licenses(OH does not issue any other than in the Lake Erie region). Even if he doesn't, under today's regulations, so long as he wasn't using nets, he can take all he wants. Jugs, limb lines, trot lines along with rod & reel are all legal methods. Even moving the fish to his own location is allowed, you can move fish so long as you aren't stocking public waters or selling them. You could argue he's "selling" them in a paylake, but maybe he's "renting " them? I don't know what if any regulations paylakes have, I don't think there's much. They might actually fall under guidelines from the USDA if pushed, although I don't think they have anything to do with them.

I think what will happen and already has to some extent, is stretches of the river will become fished out. I know the areas I fish, and also in the Cumberland River in TN, you can just bypass miles of river as they just don't hold fish. We've grafted areas after areas and you don't see any fish, makes you wonder if the locator is broke when it happens.
    Anyway, as the fish become more scarce, they will be left alone. People will have to travel to where there are regulations to get into some quality fishing.

9. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Did you call the ODNR regional office or poacher hotline?
    You may get different results depending on which dept. you talk to.
    Just a thought!

The T.I.P. program allows Ohioans to call a toll-free number from anywhere in the state to report wildlife violations. Calls can be placed anonymously at 1-800-POACHER (800-762-2437).

10. i did call the poacher hotline when he called back this time i told him i knew that there wasnt much that could be done about KY commercial licenses and then asked him if it was legal to move fish from public water to a privet pay lake he told me get this not sure we are still working on weather it legal or not mrfishohio there may not be alot in the way of stoping him but i sure can make it as hard on this guy as i can since 1999 i was putting about 250 to 280 pounds of fish in the boat a night all catch and release now the same water produces around 80 pounds of fish on a really good night

11. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I wonder how many flat tires it would take until this guy s left the area? :eek: I did not say that!

12. rockbass i can tell u this he has to baby sit his trotlines on the week ends i mean run up and down the river watching them theres about 8 of us fishermen on that river when we c them we alll ways get alot of sinkers out of the 5 pound lead weights he put on the ends of his lines as for the tires i would like to but those things usally lead to big fights

13. Lark101_1999,

I am not saying I disapprove of your feelings on the subject but if I were you I would just be careful on touching his lines. I don't know the laws but I am sure that it is personall property and that if you were caught tampering there could be even worse legal ramifications for you than for him even if he is taking the fish illegally. Like I said you can and I am sure you will do whatever you want but I just thought I would post a little warning for you. You never know whether these people read these forums.;)

14. i know its not legal but as far as i know there suppose to have tags with name addresses on them witch there is not so im just doing river clean up picking up trash so to speak

15. If they are not labeled then there is another item you can get the ODNR officers involved with. Perhaps that would prompt them to find enough junk on the guys to nail them for other wrongdoings.

16. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

I don't know how brave you want to be, but I would just ask the guy. I would try to find him and be as CORDIAL as possible! I would just tell him I am concerned and whatever you are doing, is it legal? If he jumps on your case, apologize and leave, but still get as much info as possible. If he stutters and fumbles around when asked this, call the ODNR again.

I'd have no problem confronting anyone, but I am stupid sometimes. Just be careful and sensible and cordial.

17. thee working on it now but with the wrong tag on his truck who knows they might evan be someone elses